Do water filters help? See photo.

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I have to differ with that. the main reason we wanted the softener was to get rid of the white residue around our bronze fixtures, it ended immediately and have not had a calcium build up or iron stains anywhere since installing the Nova softener and filter system, it has been well over a year since the installation. We too use the potassium pellets and noticed the difference as soon as we used the shower for the first time. Water tastes great, ice cubes are clear and the Nova system is so much less expensive than the others brands that are offered around town. we have no regrets whatsoever.
My response was to Grace regarding sediment filters preventing calcium deposits. They do not. A water softener can. Two different things.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I get this question almost every day.

Here's the breakdown of the spots, 10-15% calcium, 85-90% sediment.

The sediment sticks to the calcium, without a softener the Nova WHF will remove the all the sediment the remaining calcium is almost hard to see with the naked eye.

So two choices, clean it up 6-12 months with CLR for $3
or add a softener in addition to the WHF.

85% of of the homes in the main part of TV use only the WHF 15% added a softener, so it is not mandatory it is an option.

In Fenney the water has a higher calcium level there about 45% have our softener.

Again many are satisfied with just the WHF @ only $575+tax

A softener added to the WHF is $899

We just moved in to a 6-yr-old house that had no water system previously. CLR is working somewhat to remove the water spots, but it is a struggle and will take awhile. Plus some of the spots have eroded the porcelain sinks.

I can compare prices of water filtration/softener systems because we have had them in every house since the 1980s. The Nova + softener is the least expensive we have ever had, and I believe the water is cleaner and tastes better than we have ever had.

Jimbo gave a good explanation over the phone, presented a couple of choices, and Brad did an excellent installation.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Sage
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Where is your filter located, in the garage? Are they easy to connect? Would this go before or after a water softener. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I would assume before (why would you send dirty water to the softener?) but not sure. Mine is in my garage where main water valve is located. It could be anywhere BEFORE the first faucet.
It can go both ways.

A softener only performs one task capturing calcium & magnesium it is not in any way a filter.

So the sediment just passes thru a softener to be filtered by the WHF.

However, a softener has tiny resin beads a few may flow out.
Having said that, I like the WHF after the softener to filter those out as well if present.

So doing in the reverse order WHF/softener has that one issue

An argument can be made placing the WHF after, that the chlorine will dissolve the salt faster or potassium chloride
I don't think there's any appreciable amount dissolved to concerned with.

Either way will work.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
My response was to Grace regarding sediment filters preventing calcium deposits. They do not. A water softener can. Two different things.
Oh sure, I agree
Old 01-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
But you won't get rid of all the calcium deposits with just the water filter. It takes the softener along with it to get rid of the calcium deposits.
Exactly, that's why we included the softener in our system.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:46 AM
Sage

I recommend after the install using CLR, it works much better NOT diluted.

Be mindful the surface must be kept wet or immersed a full 2-5 minutes.

A plastic bag filled with CLR placed over faucets & shower heads held in place with a twisty tie for 2 minutes

The Villages Florida
Old 01-05-2019, 09:59 AM

We have the Nova filter system and are very satisfied. Our neighbors tell us there is definitely a difference in the taste of the water. My wife says she can feel the difference in showering and washing her hair. Highly recommended.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

I guess that while we have plenty of sediment in our water as you can see from the photo in the OP we don't seem to have calcium problems here. We moved into a 9 yr old home 2 yrs ago and there were no signs of calcium on any fixtures (and they were obviously "originals") so we don't need a softener. The filter however made a major difference in water quality. Water smelled like a YMCA swimming pool when we moved in.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:13 AM
Sage

the water authority tests the water daily for bacteria counts and adds chlorine accordingly, so it varies in the intensity.

Although chlorine is a poison, and the safety of drinking it can be questioned, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has declared that chlorine in water is safe to drink in small amounts.

But then it's removal would be safer I would think,

Showering with chlorinated water likely leads to more chlorine absorption in the body than drinking water treated with chlorine (according to a study looking at the impact of chlorine byproducts on bodily organs in the case of swimming pool exposure). Additionally, warm water opens up your skin pores and hair follicles, leading to greater exposure when you take a hot shower.

Chlorine and its byproducts strip away the natural hair and skin oils that protect your body from over drying.

Looking at your annual report from the water company there are two "by-products of disinfection" .
It sounds perfectly normal and harmless (according FDA the levels are safe) but they vary the amount of chlorine daily???

TTHM & Haloacetic Acids, google those

The Nova filter removes those and a lot more
Old 01-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
the water authority tests the water daily for bacteria counts and adds chlorine accordingly, so it varies in the intensity. --<clip>--

Well, the first 4 months we lived here (pre-filter) they must have accidentally put in too many tablets! LOL
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

I have never had a doctor tell me to buy a water filter or water softener for my house.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have never had a doctor tell me to buy a water filter or water softener for my house.
What about your cleaning lady?
Old 01-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Gold member

It's amazing that Michael Phelps isn't dead from Chlorine. He must be Superman

Sometimes they have to "shock" the water with chlorine, so chlorine levels can vary greatly.
The county does yearly water purity tests and posts them online. TV water in pretty clean but filters make a big difference in taste and plumbing buildup. I set my water softener to 11 Grains.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:22 PM
Sage

FYI,
Calcium does not build up inside Cpvc or Pvc pipes which almost all homes here have
Old 01-07-2019, 03:37 PM
Platinum member

Thumbs up for filters but I am not a fan of soft water showering. Some call the feeling silky, some call it slimy. Seat me with group two.

Tags
water, filter, filters, gunk, opened

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.