Do you eat gluten free?

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2015, 10:54 PM
Sage
Default Do you eat gluten free?

At least 2 of my kids have celeriac disease. Gluten is poisonous to their lower intestines. Why? It's just theories.

My son just found out. Like me he eats anything and cooks. If you are gluten free do you have any advice about products or cooking?

I sent him the Americas test kitchen book on this subject. For him I think it's just a bump on the road.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
At least 2 of my kids have celeriac disease. Gluten is poisonous to their lower intestines. Why? It's just theories.

My son just found out. Like me he eats anything and cooks. If you are gluten free do you have any advice about products or cooking?

I sent him the Americas test kitchen book on this subject. For him I think it's just a bump on the road.
CELIAC disease, or gluten sensitive enteropathy, is generally thought to be a reaction to gluten at the intestinal brush border resulting in destruction of villi and manifesting itself as a malabsorption syndrome with diarrhea and significant weight loss. There are blood tests, such as anti-gliadin antibody levels that can be performed, but some people with clear clinical evidence for celiac disease will test negative, and some people with no symptoms will test positive. Gluten is found in high concentrations in wheat products, but is pretty ubiquitous as well. There is no such thing as a gluten FREE diet, only low gluten diets. Your son should probably not be eating "anything". There are tons of cookbooks and low gluten diets out there, get uses to eating a lot of rice. Unfortunately, low gluten diets have become a "cult" of sorts with all kinds of "experts" advocating low gluten for everybody. Unless you have demonstrated a clear sensitivity to gluten or have been accurately diagnosed with celiac disease, which may require upper endoscopy with a small bowel biopsy, I wouldn't worry about gluten.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
CELIAC disease, or gluten sensitive enteropathy, is generally thought to be a reaction to gluten at the intestinal brush border resulting in destruction of villi and manifesting itself as a malabsorption syndrome with diarrhea and significant weight loss. There are blood tests, such as anti-gliadin antibody levels that can be performed, but some people with clear clinical evidence for celiac disease will test negative, and some people with no symptoms will test positive. Gluten is found in high concentrations in wheat products, but is pretty ubiquitous as well. There is no such thing as a gluten FREE diet, only low gluten diets. Your son should probably not be eating "anything". There are tons of cookbooks and low gluten diets out there, get uses to eating a lot of rice. Unfortunately, low gluten diets have become a "cult" of sorts with all kinds of "experts" advocating low gluten for everybody. Unless you have demonstrated a clear sensitivity to gluten or have been accurately diagnosed with celiac disease, which may require upper endoscopy with a small bowel biopsy, I wouldn't worry about gluten.
Thank-you, I'm learning what I can and appreciate your help.
He was diagnosed by a doctor with celiac disease and had an endoscopy. He presumes he was accurately diagnosed. After 6 weeks if he doesn't feel better maybe a second opinion is the way to go. He's smarter than me. You both are.

I know gluten free diets are also a fad, the craze, the new atlkins, call it what you will. It's now a 10 billion business and 6 years ago there were not as many alternative "pastas","breads" and "beers".

This seemed like a good place to ask gluten free eaters what they found tasty.

Last edited by tomwed; 12-20-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Thank-you, I'm learning what I can and appreciate your help.
He was diagnosed by a doctor with celiac disease and had an endoscopy. He presumes he was accurately diagnosed. After 6 weeks if he doesn't feel better maybe a second opinion is the way to go. He's smarter than me. You both are.

I know gluten free diets are also a fad, the craze, the new atlkins, call it what you will. It's now a 10 billion business and 6 years ago there were not as many alternative "pastas","breads" and "beers".

This seemed like a good place to ask gluten free eaters what they found tasty.
If your son was correctly diagnosed, and has cut out all gluten, he will definitely feel better and it will take a lot less time than 6 weeks!
You say he enjoys cooking, so that's quite a big thing - equipped with a basic gluten free cookery book, there will be very little food to avoid and homemade always (well, nearly always) tastes better. I've found that some foods such as cakes and sponges are much nicer than the previously wheat based items, and it has also led to more creativity, particularly with spices and flavourings.(Just because we're celiacs, it doesn't mean we've lost our tastebuds)
I will often have a 'bake day' and make bread, cakes, pastries, cookies, savoury snacks and cereal bars for the freezer. That way, there's always something for a treat plus a store of nibbles to take if you get invited round for drinks and don't want your hosts to feel obliged to purchase GF snacks.
On a practical note, don't be tempted to only buy from the 'gluten free' shelves. Many items are expensive because the label states 'GF', yet if you check those items on the standard shelves, you'll find that they didn't contain gluten in the first place. eg some pasta sauces, condiments, chocolate, candy. Same with flour - look on the Hispanic, Indian, Thai foods. Cornflour and gram flour are just 2 items that are naturally GF and inexpensive.
Places like Aldi sell a lot of gluten free stuff, and helpfully label most of the items to save you searching through all the ingredients. Most of their GF food is very tasty and doesn't break the bank.
Look up recipes online, try them out and if you like them, print out and start building up your own 'Favourite GF' recipe book.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmaidstone View Post
If your son was correctly diagnosed, and has cut out all gluten, he will definitely feel better and it will take a lot less time than 6 weeks!
You say he enjoys cooking, so that's quite a big thing - equipped with a basic gluten free cookery book, there will be very little food to avoid and homemade always (well, nearly always) tastes better. I've found that some foods such as cakes and sponges are much nicer than the previously wheat based items, and it has also led to more creativity, particularly with spices and flavourings.(Just because we're celiacs, it doesn't mean we've lost our tastebuds)
I will often have a 'bake day' and make bread, cakes, pastries, cookies, savoury snacks and cereal bars for the freezer. That way, there's always something for a treat plus a store of nibbles to take if you get invited round for drinks and don't want your hosts to feel obliged to purchase GF snacks.
On a practical note, don't be tempted to only buy from the 'gluten free' shelves. Many items are expensive because the label states 'GF', yet if you check those items on the standard shelves, you'll find that they didn't contain gluten in the first place. eg some pasta sauces, condiments, chocolate, candy. Same with flour - look on the Hispanic, Indian, Thai foods. Cornflour and gram flour are just 2 items that are naturally GF and inexpensive.
Places like Aldi sell a lot of gluten free stuff, and helpfully label most of the items to save you searching through all the ingredients. Most of their GF food is very tasty and doesn't break the bank.
Look up recipes online, try them out and if you like them, print out and start building up your own 'Favourite GF' recipe book.

Hope this helps.
Yes it does help. I'm a big believer in in America's Test Kitchen recipe books and that's what I sent him for Christmas.

The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook: America's Test Kitchen: 9781936493616: Amazon.com: Books

Like me he likes good bread, pasta, pizza and beer. And like me, we doesn't care for desserts. He doesn't have time to make bread.

My daughter also has the disease and I sent her a waffle maker and 2 different brands of gluten free waffle mix. She has time but I don't know what they will taste like..

I was hoping to find others that were specific in the brands they prefer with gluten free breads and beers.

Thank-you
Old 12-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Sage

I'm not celiac but have several food sensitivities that lead me through friends to the book(s) of Wheat Belly, Wheat Belly Total Health and Wheat Belly 10 Day Detox. In those books (which has had a lot of research) it's been found that it's mostly all grains that affect folks. It's the gliadin in gluten that's the culpret. I highly recommend the books! I've been doing this way of eating (it's not a fad and it's not a 'diet') for several years and have been gradually regaining my health. I found I also had "leaky gut" along with my grains sensitivities---other sesitivities to dairy, sugar etc. What many folks do not know is gluten is found in a plethora of food items. It's hidden many times...think of your packaged seasonings, prepared foods, frozen foods, ice cream, shredded cheeses and more. This makes it sound like it's hard to find "good" food but that's not true!! This 'conversation' makes it too difficult to give ALL the information so I'd recommend doing your own research. There are sites on FB and the internet as well. Some of it contridicts this whole thing as a fad and won't be factual. I'm just one of thousands of people who will attest that this is a movement rather than a fad. Celiac though is also a very serious autoimmune disease that needs to be taken care of...and my way of eating is one way to do it!!
Old 12-20-2015, 05:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I'm not celiac but have several food sensitivities that lead me through friends to the book(s) of Wheat Belly, Wheat Belly Total Health and Wheat Belly 10 Day Detox. In those books (which has had a lot of research) it's been found that it's mostly all grains that affect folks. It's the gliadin in gluten that's the culpret. I highly recommend the books! I've been doing this way of eating (it's not a fad and it's not a 'diet') for several years and have been gradually regaining my health. I found I also had "leaky gut" along with my grains sensitivities---other sesitivities to dairy, sugar etc. What many folks do not know is gluten is found in a plethora of food items. It's hidden many times...think of your packaged seasonings, prepared foods, frozen foods, ice cream, shredded cheeses and more. This makes it sound like it's hard to find "good" food but that's not true!! This 'conversation' makes it too difficult to give ALL the information so I'd recommend doing your own research. There are sites on FB and the internet as well. Some of it contridicts this whole thing as a fad and won't be factual. I'm just one of thousands of people who will attest that this is a movement rather than a fad. Celiac though is also a very serious autoimmune disease that needs to be taken care of...and my way of eating is one way to do it!!
Thank-you
I did see those books too. He knows enough about cooking with fresh veggies, fish and meat; not processed food.

I'm only looking for gluten free items that someone has bought, cooked, tasted and enjoyed to avoid wasting time and money experimenting from scratch.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Anyone who reads the book, Wheat Belly, will come away realizing that modern gluten is a poison. It doesn't matter if you have celiac disease or not, it is affecting you in many negative ways. It isn't a "fad" to eliminate a poison from our diets. I have had breast cancer and a lot of digestive issues, including celiac disease. Even if I didn't have celiac but had read the Wheat Belly book I would have stopped eating gluten, regardless. Yes, it is a huge change and more work, eating gluten free. Read the book and you will see how many illnesses and diseases are now thought to be caused by modern gluten. What is "modern gluten"? It comes from wheat that has been treated with chemicals for higher yields. Personally, the idea of consuming Roundup really makes me sick.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
Anyone who reads the book, Wheat Belly, will come away realizing that modern gluten is a poison. It doesn't matter if you have celiac disease or not, it is affecting you in many negative ways. It isn't a "fad" to eliminate a poison from our diets. I have had breast cancer and a lot of digestive issues, including celiac disease. Even if I didn't have celiac but had read the Wheat Belly book I would have stopped eating gluten, regardless. Yes, it is a huge change and more work, eating gluten free. Read the book and you will see how many illnesses and diseases are now thought to be caused by modern gluten. What is "modern gluten"? It comes from wheat that has been treated with chemicals for higher yields. Personally, the idea of consuming Roundup really makes me sick.
Do you buy or bake bread that is gluten free? If so, what brand have you found that tastes best to you?
Old 12-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Do you buy or bake bread that is gluten free? If so, what brand have you found that tastes best to you?
The two gluten free breads that I buy are by Udi's and Rudi's. They make different kinds, from multigrain to cinnamon raisin. They aren't quite the same as regular bread but I find them very acceptable. Nice toasted. I think you have to try different ones to see what you like. None are like the nice, crusty breads I love with a salad. There ARE crusty rolls in the supermarket but I haven't tried them. All of the breads I buy are in the freezer section. I bake most of my desserts/snacks using an all purpose gluten free flour. I can substitute it cup for cup in most of my own recipes.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:13 PM

I sure you have found that there are plenty of choices for those who are gluten free or those who just want to reduce their intake of wheat.

My wife like Udi's breads(in the freezer section)
Freshetta Gluten Free Cheese Pizza
Rice chex,
Corn Chex
Ronzonii gluten free pasta

Note we use crushed up rice chex for binder in things like meatballs.

Anyways there are lots of choice..I figured I'd share a few that get eaten regularly around my household.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
The two gluten free breads that I buy are by Udi's and Rudi's. They make different kinds, from multigrain to cinnamon raisin. They aren't quite the same as regular bread but I find them very acceptable. Nice toasted. I think you have to try different ones to see what you like. None are like the nice, crusty breads I love with a salad. There ARE crusty rolls in the supermarket but I haven't tried them. All of the breads I buy are in the freezer section. I bake most of my desserts/snacks using an all purpose gluten free flour. I can substitute it cup for cup in most of my own recipes.
Thank-you
I will pass it on.

Have you ever tried making a pizza crust out of all purpose gluten free flour? I'll google it too.

I sent my daughter
Bisquick Pancake and Baking Mix, Gluten Free
Pamela's Products Gluten Free Baking & Pancake Mix
Have you ever tried them?

Do you drink beer? I'll check out the world of beers and see if they have any gluten free. I think it's my responsibility to taste test a few.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thank-you
I will pass it on.

Have you ever tried making a pizza crust out of all purpose gluten free flour? I'll google it too.

I sent my daughter
Bisquick Pancake and Baking Mix, Gluten Free
Pamela's Products Gluten Free Baking & Pancake Mix
Have you ever tried them?

Do you drink beer? I'll check out the world of beers and see if they have any gluten free. I think it's my responsibility to taste test a few.
I HAVE tried making pizza crust a few times, using various recipes. I think once I used the Bisquick GF baking mix. No crusts have really been as good as a regular pizza crust. But, I want to feel better more than I want to eat foods that are bad for me. I really should try the pizza crust using the all purpose flour. Be careful if you try the all purpose flour. Check to see if it has xanthan gum added to it. If not, you will have to buy some and add it yourself. I bought some at Publix. I think it was something like $14-$15 for a small container. You use very little so it lasts a while. I keep mine in the freezer. The Krusteaz All Purpose GF flour that I was buying at Sam's disappeared from their shelves and also from Amazon. I managed to locate 4 bags on eBay and put them in the freezer, also. It has xanthan gum in it so it is very easy to use in my regular recipes for muffins, cakes, cookies, etc. I haven't tried any yeast breads using it, yet. I don't drink beer so I can't help you with that one!
Old 12-20-2015, 11:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

My friend is gluten free. She buys a multi grain bread that is sold on a kiosk in the Publix bakery. The brand is All but Gluten.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
My friend is gluten free. She buys a multi grain bread that is sold on a kiosk in the Publix bakery. The brand is All but Gluten.
Thank-you all,
I'll try it out along with everything else mentioned.
Closed Thread

Tags
gluten, free, products, advice, cooking, test, bump, road, subject, americas, cooks, kitchen, book, disease, celeriac, poisonous, kids, eat, lower, eats, found, intestines, theories, son

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.