Do You Get Your HVAC Inspected/Serviced Once Or Twice A Year?

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2020, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Up in NJ, installed a Sears system in 1971 when we moved into our A/C-less home, never serviced in 28 years other than filter, then got a new Goodman system installed in 1999 with all the money we saved on check-ups. that too was never serviced in ~18 years other than filter ...... then moved out in Jan 2017. Only problem we ever had was the 220 junction box outside "broke." We did have a small condensate pump that did die a couple times over the years that drained into the laundry room sink. There was no pipe just some plastic tubing that never clogged. Of course it wasn't used as much as here but still ....... We had 10yr P&L warranty from dealer but never used it. It did not include "checkups."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:40 AM

Sunshine has changed from twice to once per year. If you feel uncomfortable with that, call their office and they will explain what they used to do twice per year, and what they are doing now. I feel that we are getting the exact same service with one visit. If you also buy their Care package, your service calls are included on weekends and holidays if there is an emergency (like an insurance policy, if you find that level of service important).
Old 07-31-2020, 05:57 AM
Default Servicing of AC units ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have never paid anyone to service my HVAC system. I think that the only things you can do to prevent a failure or to extend the life of your system are to replace the filter, add vinegar or flush out the condensate line, and make sure the outside unit coils do not get dirty. Do these things yourself on a regular basis, and there is no need to pay an HVAC technician to come to your house for a "tune up" or whatever service they call it.
You are spot on, save your money , this coming from someone that has over 40 year's in the HVAC business.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
I have never paid anyone to service my HVAC system. I think that the only things you can do to prevent a failure or to extend the life of your system are to replace the filter, add vinegar or flush out the condensate line, and make sure the outside unit coils do not get dirty. Do these things yourself on a regular basis, and there is no need to pay an HVAC technician to come to your house for a "tune up" or whatever service they call it.
When it does break down, and it will, see how long it will takes someone to your house to fix it.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Been here 10 years, Never. Guess I've saved over 2,000 already.
Sure hope you've changed your filter regularly though. Can't imagine how crazy dirty it would be otherwise! I personally think twice a year is much better for filter changing, but certainly easy to do yourself.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
A/C once a year and furnace once a year. It's staggered so it works out to someone here every six months.

Although we're all very aware which of the two systems tends to be problematic in this climate!
Same here.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:25 AM
Default During maintenance visits

Quote:
Are you paying for routine service checkups, or for repairs? Because neither of those items would be performed by most companies who sell regular service checkup contracts.
Yes, that is one of the reasons for the maintenance visits. About one out of 4 that I Service everyday has a weak capacitor The hat I change during the visit. Also if we find the system low on refrigerant we look for the leak and make repairs. Most of what I Service is still under warranty so no charge to customer.
To the topic question, you only need one visits as long as you are changing filter when needed and adding the vinegar to drain line. My charge is 99.95 and lakes me 1.5 to 2 hours for the full service of cooling and test the heating.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:33 AM
Default One or two

Quote:
Are you paying for routine service checkups, or for repairs? Because neither of those items would be performed by most companies who sell regular service checkup contracts.
Yes, that is one of the reasons for the maintenance visits. About one out of 5 that I Service everyday has a weak capacitor that I change during the visit. Also if we find the system low on refrigerant we look for the leak and make repairs. Most of what I Service is still under warranty so no charge to customer.
To the topic question, you only need one visits as long as you are changing filter when needed and adding the vinegar to drain line. My charge is 99.95 and lakes me 1.5 to 2 hours for the full service of cooling and test the heating.
For those that do not get their system serviced take a look inside your air handler sometime. Most are filled with mildew. This is very typical in the air handler. This grows all over the wiring, labels and the plastic parts.
Really not trying to be smart but your air that comes thru the vents that you breathe everyday passes over this. Some people don’t do a lot of things like get their teeth cleaned regularly. I choose to keep things as clean as I can.

Last edited by GoodGuysAir; 07-31-2020 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:39 AM

what company are you with
Old 07-31-2020, 06:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDC View Post
We have been with the same company for 7 years and have always paid for a twice a year maintenance contract for $217. Now, they are only offering a once a year contract for $187. I am all for saving money, but I think our HVAC systems should be inspected and serviced twice a year. How often do you have your's checked out?
If you are up for changing your filter a couple times a year and making sure your drain line is open, there’s really one main reason to have a service contract: if something goes wrong, you are already their customer, so maybe you will get a faster response time.

Of course, there are also people who pay thousands for a home security system in one of the safest towns in the U.S.

(But who am I to talk. I have both hurricane coverage and flood insurance.)
Old 07-31-2020, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Twice a year by Munn’s. Well worth the expense IMO. A/C still running faultlessly after 14 years.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:19 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDC View Post
We have been with the same company for 7 years and have always paid for a twice a year maintenance contract for $217. Now, they are only offering a once a year contract for $187. I am all for saving money, but I think our HVAC systems should be inspected and serviced twice a year. How often do you have your's checked out?
Munn’s inspects annually for less than that - no contract.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Once per year.

It is "Preventative" maintenance.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtyard View Post
We pay $200 a year on our service contract and get a free filter with it. And they service us twice a year.
I check my filter once a month and probably replace it every 2 to 3 months. Once a year is not good. If you have an outside air intake filter you can probably check that every 3 months.

Make sure you tend to the drainage system each month.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:37 AM

When we asked the service person we were told twice a year is a waste of money down here. Just change your filter
Closed Thread

Tags
year, contract, hvac, saving, money

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.