Do you have an exhaust fan in your kitchen?

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2021, 09:33 AM
Default Do you have an exhaust fan in your kitchen?

I just moved here to a new construction villa. The microwave exhaust does not exhaust to the outside I found out. It blows upward from the front of the microwave to the ceiling. I asked a designer home owner and their kitchen exhausts to the outside. I am in a patio villa. Did the builder decide not to vent the smaller homes, and what can I do to fix it? I have a walk through in a week. Thanks.

Last edited by Calisport; 10-28-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Ask for a copy of the house plans, these will show if there is an outside vent, the other option is to go into the attic and look for the rectangular vent. The other item to check out is if the microwave was installed correctly, some have a plate that needs to be removed, others have some type of lever (or similar) that changes the direction from inside to outside.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:01 AM

Ask your builder to add a vent, or recommend a good subcontractor. Might cost a little but will be worth it IMHO
Old 10-28-2021, 10:01 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

99.999% of the time, Villas have the microwave exhaust venting recirculating back into the kitchen, where designer homes have the vent exhausting to the outside, either up and out of the roof or out an outside wall, if the unit is on an outside wall.

Changing it after the build to be vented outside would be costly....and different remedies dependent if you have a wood frame vinyl sided home, or stucco, and if the unit is on an outside wall or not.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:12 AM
Sage

Perhaps villa kitchens are just for show, not for cooking.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Perhaps villa kitchens are just for show, not for cooking.
I thought all kitchens in TV were for looks not for cooking..........
Old 10-28-2021, 03:45 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

You might not be allowed to vent it through the wall as the space between your wall and your neighbors windows is pretty narrow. That might be why they don't vent them in the first place.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:43 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

The Tinker is spot on... That microwave plate is usually not removed and these installers look for the easy way out!
Old 10-29-2021, 05:36 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
I just moved here to a new construction villa. The microwave exhaust does not exhaust to the outside I found out. It blows upward from the front of the microwave to the ceiling. I asked a designer home owner and their kitchen exhausts to the outside. I am in a patio villa. Did the builder decide not to vent the smaller homes, and what can I do to fix it? I have a walk through in a week. Thanks.
I live in a more upscale home, and I also have a microwave oven over my stove that has a small fan that blows air through a charcoal filter (I think) to remove odors and back into the kitchen. In any case, it does blow air into the kitchen, so cooking broccoli still fills the house with the nasty stench of cooking broccoli (I love to eat it). To my mind, this is one of the worst design decisions in The Villages, though to be fair, that over-the-stove microwave oven is a much-wanted item, and I use mine a lot and rarely use the stove or oven. The alternative is one less cupboard or just keeping it on the counter, where it takes up a lot of room.

The thing is, the fan in your microwave oven is NOT adequate for exhausting the smells and clouds of water vapor from your cooking on the stove. Just venting it to the outside won’t help very much. To do that, you need a range hood of an adequate size and shape, and it needs to be a specified number of inches above the stove, or it won’t do its work. (Probably 24” maximum.) You need a fan in it that sucks hard enough to really pull out the smell. That means probably 300 to 360 cubic feet per minute for an electric stove and more for gas. (Compared to maybe 20 cfm in your microwave oven.) If you want to be able to hear yourself think, get an ultra quiet fan. These cost more, but they are worth it. Even so, that much air rushing through an exhaust duct makes quite a bit of noise, like a big window fan. It’s possible to mount the fan in the attic.

The exhaust has to be vented outdoors. Venting it just into the attic is illegal, partly because of what might happen if you had a fire on the stove with the exhaust fan on—it might suck up flames. If your stove is on an outside wall in your kitchen, it’s quite easy for an installer to install a 4x8” rectangular vent through the wall with a damper. If like mine it is on an inside wall with a living room behind it and a cathedral ceiling, here is the process. Remove the microwave oven. The range hood will go there. Cut a hole, probably 6” or 8”, in the bottom and top of the 12” high cupboard above the microwave oven. My kitchen has a 14x16” soffit above all the cabinets, then an open area to the ceiling. The same hole has to be extended through the top and bottom of the soffit and through the ceiling and through the roof. The vent pipe gets pushed down through the ceiling and attached to the range hood. The fan is installed in the attic (ideally, to further decrease the noise) wired to current, and a switch is installed in the wall or is already on the range hood. (Get a range hood with bright lights to light up your cooking.) Then the fan is vented through the roof, and the pipe is carefully sealed to prevent leaks, and a hood is placed over the pipe so rain doesn’t enter. Then you decide where you want the microwave oven. As for the vent pipe above the soffit and below the ceiling, you could leave it exposed or build a little box around it.

If this were all done during construction, the range hood, fan, and venting would cost maybe $500. You could save by buying a range hood with fan and lights built in, along with the switches, but get one with that number of cubic feet per minute and an ultra quiet fan. Installing it during construction would be relatively cheap and easy because the wiring would be accessible, etc. If I were to have this done in my kitchen today, done right, on an inside wall, through the roof, I’m sure it would cost over $1,000. That’s about four times the cost of the big microwave oven over the stove.

It was an easy decision for the developers: Give people the over-the-stove microwave oven people wanted without their noticing that it is worthlessly venting into the kitchen and keep the house prices down or put that savings into other nice touches people like.

Last edited by MandoMan; 10-29-2021 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:02 AM

Doc’s guesstimated $1800 a year ago just to run a vent through the roof. That didn’t include new microwave (ours is 2004) or stove the rest of the remodel. Gas stoves produce a lot of heat & moisture. I cannot bake in the summer. It demands a lot of the a/c. Venting to the outside would be smart, and logical like the dryer to the outside. Amazing how this isn’t a requirement in Florida. I think homeowners would appreciate it.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:39 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

My CYV is out the top of the microwave. Doesn't really bother us at all.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:29 AM

We have a patio villa and looked into exterior kitchen venting. We called the architectural review office and were told if we vented thru the roof, no approval needed. If we vented thru the wall, approval needed. We decided to get an estimate first and the only company we could find to do this was Doc's Restorations. They quoted us $900 to vent thru the wall. No idea what they might charge now. But we decided against it. This is only one of several money-saving corners cut in TV construction. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

I don't know why it would be so expensive to vent through the roof as they put in plenty of solar tubes throughout the villages in the area
Old 10-29-2021, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

All of the new houses I have looked at in St Catherine has their exhaust fans going to the outside. You never want a fan to exhaust into the attic, that would cause mold, there’s more than just air going thru that exhaust. Also I don’t think it’s legal to exhaust into the attic
Old 10-29-2021, 08:16 AM

Not just villias, my house is the same way.
Closed Thread

Tags
exhaust, microwave, week, villa, kitchen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.