Do you have STUFF???

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2018, 10:05 AM

We too got rid of 75% of our stuff when we moved here. Haven't missed a thing. I go by the "if I haven't used it in X time, I don't need it." I did take pictures of some things and if I do ever miss them I look at the pictures.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Hospice (across from Walmart on 441 behind strip mall), goodwill (466 near walmart.
I donated some STUFF at the goodwill behind Walmart near 466. They were happy to get my stuff because someone will buy my stuff.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

Garage full, closets full, 10 x 20 storage garage full, up north home for sale full, 16 x 42 storage building full, I'm not a hoarder, I'm an accumulator. We gave car loads of stuff away before coming down here but ran out of time. Told the realtor that when our home sells we need at least 3 weeks to get back up there and empty it. Will most likely give it all away or have a moving sale.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Veteran member
Default Salvation Army

Salvation Army is a wonderful charity! They have a drop off location in Leesburg at a church Google Maps

They are open from 8:30 to 4 pm Monday thru Friday. Pull into the front and they will send someone to unload your car.

I use this time to make a trip outside of the bubble.

I’ve gotten to the point that I may drop off one or two items. This is my year of getting rid of STUFF and most importantly, helping others.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Gold member
Default Wow and i thought i had a lot of stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Garage full, closets full, 10 x 20 storage garage full, up north home for sale full, 16 x 42 storage building full, I'm not a hoarder, I'm an accumulator. We gave car loads of stuff away before coming down here but ran out of time. Told the realtor that when our home sells we need at least 3 weeks to get back up there and empty it. Will most likely give it all away or have a moving sale.
From you post, I assume you have your,"up north," home for sale, it is loaded with too much stuff and it is not selling.
Your broker is failing you or you are not listening. Your too much stuff is literally costing you money as you are paying taxes, heating, cooling and eventually you home will sell for less than it might if it was not so full of STUFF.
If, you can't deal with this you should hire one of those tag sale people.
We had a year or two to plan our move. I sold several thousands of dollars worth of stuff on ebay-it was fun but a lot of work. We had about 6 garage sales and each time did over $1,000. Before we listed our home, I gave away thousands of dollars worth of STUFF t neighbors. We made soooo many trips to the town dump that the guy knew my name. I had copper wire, copper pipe and it scraps for about $2.50 a pound. It came to several hundred dollars.
We spent a few bucks and had the place painted. As instructed by our broker, we removed our wall to wall carpet-which I liked.
I did my research for comparable sales. And to my surprise, we sold our house in one week and got full listing price and CASH.
If, you home is listed for sale and it is not selling if, you have a GOOD BROKER, they should be able to tell you why it is not selling and what to do to make it more salable.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

WE ALL collect STUFF. My wife go's out every week & buy's Stuff from garage sale's. I tell her not to buy any BIG Stuff, cause we don't have the room to put it ALL. It's work'in so far....
Old 01-16-2018, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatRatKat View Post
We did have stuff but got rid of 75% of it before moving down here and when we got here we realized we still had way too much. It was hard when we initially started letting things go but it just got easier and easier the more we let go of it. No sense keeping stuff that you'll never use, it'll just cause a burden to kids that have to clean it up when the parents pass away...their generation does not want stuff.
Yes, but... When I think of all the stuff of our kids that we had when they left & wouldn't take with them, this could be payback! When we sold our condo up north and cleared out the storage unit we'd been renting for 16 years, we said Get your stuff this weekend before the junk man shows up, or it's gone! They did. Should have done that sooner.

My friend had the same problem, but more kids. She said before she dies she was going to leave notes on their stuff in the basement, saying, "I TOLD you to come get this!"
Old 01-16-2018, 03:14 PM

My husband and I were both widowed, he had 30 years of stuff and I had 26. We've been working on getting rid of stuff since we got married, because we wanted room to live in the same house together! I've discovered that no, all that stuff you saved for the kids? They don't want it! The hardest part is letting go of sentimental stuff, but we're getting there..
Old 01-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

George Carlin Talks About "Stuff" - YouTube

ADULT HUMOR - George Carlin talks about "Stuff"
Old 01-16-2018, 03:32 PM

When you are young, all of your stuff fits in a car. Moving is easy. When you are old and ready to retire, it takes a semi to move all your stuff. When we were preparing to move to TV we sold, gave away, donated or discarded everything we thought we didn't need and still ended up with too much stuff. We have sworn off garage sales, estate sales and flea markets so we don't accumulate more.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

I still have unopened boxes in my garage from my move to TV over 5 years ago. Ohhhh... the shame and the guilt. But something good comes from it all. I use it as an excuse for my drinking.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Yes, but... When I think of all the stuff of our kids that we had when they left & wouldn't take with them, this could be payback! When we sold our condo up north and cleared out the storage unit we'd been renting for 16 years, we said Get your stuff this weekend before the junk man shows up, or it's gone! They did. Should have done that sooner.

My friend had the same problem, but more kids. She said before she dies she was going to leave notes on their stuff in the basement, saying, "I TOLD you to come get this!"
Our Son’s “stuff” is still with us as he lives in a 2 bedroom apartment in NYC. Now he comes home with his daughter’s outgrown clothes.
We are waiting for the day he finally buys a house and moves to the suburbs and can take all his stuff with him.

I hope I live to see that day!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

When we moved we had an Estate sale and got rid of ALL of the stuff. Don’t need it, don’t miss it and guess what? We really never needed it. I love being rid of all that useless stuff.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Memories...

When we moved to TV, we moved stuff out of truck into garage, eventually found room for half the stuff, old boy didn't want stuff in HIS garage, soooo, moved stuff on to driveway and called truck that delivered stuff to take it away!!!!! Old boy will regret that move, not a day goes by when inquiring about missing stuff, "It was probably on the pile", he says he's putting that on my grave stone, right next to "I told you I was sick", giggle, snort!
Old 05-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I still miss summa our stuff. I was too brutal when we moved from Michigan.

Tags
stuff, properties, reading, popular, thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.