George Carlin Talks About "Stuff" - YouTube

ADULT HUMOR - George Carlin talks about "Stuff"
One of my favorites!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I still miss summa our stuff. I was too brutal when we moved from Michigan.
I am so proud of my wife and myself for coming down to The Villages with not one more item than we needed. It was rough to launch stuff in the beginning but we got better as we lightened the stuff load. A lifetimes worth of stuff down to a big size Pod. We listened and learned from others who moved here before us.

I notice some stuffage creap in our Villages home and remedied it immediately. We prefer Feng Shui where the house flows and every square inch isn't jammed with something we couldn't live without.

Our Manufactured Home is too big for us. We will probably be downsizing to a smaller house in a year or two in The Hysterical Section. I miss having a two car garage that is an antiseptic man cave. The only extra stuff I have is some dog bowls and such waiting for a new owner.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:00 PM

"You can't have everything... Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

A couple of years ago, we were looking at homes with a sales rep and he shared "there are 2 things many people move to The Villages with too much of - furniture and cars". I can't count how many open houses we have visited that were immediate turn offs because of all of the "stuff" that was crammed into them. Not only was it way too much, often the majority of it just didn't belong in a Florida open concept style home. When we recently sold our home, we sold the majority of our furniture and other things and what was not worth selling, we tried to give away or throw away. It's difficult to get past sentimental value. I suspect we still kept more than we should have because of sentimental value. But it's also very liberating to let go of many things that you've held on to for so long but were hidden away and you never really used or enjoyed them either. It allowed us to basically move ourselves, without hiring movers, and with very little help needed for loading and unloading. We knew we wouldn't be happy with our old things in our new home anyway - it just wouldn't "belong". We are able to take the money we made from selling our things, and the money we saved by moving ourselves, and go buy some nice new things. And we got rid of way more than we needed to replace in our new place, even though the square footage of our new home is about the same as our old one.

"Let it go" - Elsa/Idina Menzel
Old 05-16-2018, 07:07 AM
Sage

almost zero stuff--whatever we don't use or wear --its gone--if you don't know where something is or if you don't know what it is for---get rid of it

keep things simple, life is much happier
Old 05-16-2018, 09:26 AM

There is a good book called 'The Life-changing magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo. Lifehacker has a good review (basically Cliff notes) on the book if you don't like to read much.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We have an entire supply of family pictures dependant on who is coming to visit. I have to change them. I'm in charge of that department. I don't like the job but suffer in silence. Yes Dear!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:27 PM

I never thought we had a lot of STUFF until it was time to move down here. The last few days before the move were brutal, however, I was so happy to be rid of all of the STUFF. I am now very careful about what we bring in to the house. I think twice about everything, the problem is, now we hardly have any furniture! I guess I need to break down and do a little shopping.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Multiple homes helps with stuff. In TV very little stuff, including personal things. But each time I come down with 4 suitcases I can gage what I will bring next.

After the have to have it, I am now on, would like to keep it. In the meantime stuff is still up north for at least the next 2 years.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
We have an entire supply of family pictures dependant on who is coming to visit. I have to change them. I'm in charge of that department. I don't like the job but suffer in silence. Yes Dear!
OMG...SO funny..!!
Old 05-17-2018, 03:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
You should give them away on each family visit, your job is done, now enjoy your time in paradise.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:45 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Been eliminating for many years. Still too much stuff.
Closed Thread

Tags
stuff, properties, reading, popular, thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.