Do you know this dog in Virginia Trace??

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Default Do you know this dog in Virginia Trace??

He wanders around the Virginia Trace adult pool every evening loose, no owner in sight. He walks in front of cars and follows dogs being walked. He is there now, Saturday 3PM. Animal control closed on weekends and only responds to calls during daylight on weekdays. He is rarely out this early. I love dogs, but afraid to go up to him since he is so big.

The Villages Florida
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	THING.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	47219  
Old 01-24-2015, 03:36 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default He's Been in That Area For a While

E
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromHHDS View Post
He wanders around the Virginia Trace adult pool every evening loose, no owner in sight. He walks in front of cars and follows dogs being walked. He is there now, Saturday 3PM. Animal control closed on weekends and only responds to calls during daylight on weekdays. He is rarely out this early. I love dogs, but afraid to go up to him since he is so big.

The Villages Florida
I spotted him months ago on a tip from Community Watch & tried for hours to coax him to me. This dog is street-wise and knows all the hiding spots & trails. He did eat some leftovers we had with us, but not until we were far enough away that he felt comfortable. I'm afraid the only way this dog will be captured is with sedation of some sort. I'm sure most of the rescues in our area have also tried to get him off the street.

According to folks I spoke with around the VT postal station, he's pretty wary of strangers. If anyone gets close enough to put a leash around him, I'm sure Sumter Cty would come get him.

During my and tainsley's attempts, the dog did not seem aggressive at all - quite the opposite...

Good luck

Last edited by Susan G; 01-24-2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 01-24-2015, 03:37 PM
Gold member

if i was there, i would call 911.

if he is endangering himself by walking in front of cars.....or possibly a danger to others. i would think if i called the police department, they would make arrangements for him to be cared for.

I would think anyway.....wouldn't you?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:56 PM

My dog of 15 years who passed away today, was like this dog a large stray and afraid of people, someone probably abused him. (He was terrified of spray cans).
I found him digging up grass and eating it, he was so hungry.
I got him to come to me after leaving food out and walking away, by doing what dogs do.
I laid down on my back in a submissive position and after a while of feeding and eventually petting him I was able to get in my cars backseat and lay down with the door open with more food and patience, and he got into my car layed down with me and ate,and I petted him again for a long time then slowly closed the door and climb into the front seat, and took him to the vet, and then home. He slept curled above my head the first night, he just needed a safe haven.

My loss is too fresh to do this right now, but if there is another Big Doggie lover out there other than me willing to take the time to tame him from my personal experience it can be well worth the effort.

Please do not call 911
I had a friend who had just given her dog a bath and her kids let the dog out of the gate in Cincinnati Ohio and a neighbor called 911 on this big dog, and the responding officer found him in the ally and shot and killed him. I knew this dog he would rather give sloppy kisses than any thing to any one of any size.
So please do not call 911.

Call a shelter and give this dog a chance at finding a good owner.

Thank You

Last edited by Dancing Queen; 01-24-2015 at 09:06 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 01-24-2015, 09:00 PM

We saw him a couple of times today. Couldn't tell if he has a tag. Seemed laid back but I can see how he might frighten folks because of his size. Strange he isn't seen in the mornings
Old 01-25-2015, 08:08 AM

My dog saw him today and barked and he acted scared toward us, not aggressive....whew! I will try to get to know him today when I am not with my dog.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

Nice post Dancing Queen. So sorry for your loss. You are a special person.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Queen View Post
My dog of 15 years who passed away today, was like this dog a large stray and afraid of people, someone probably abused him. (He was terrified of spray cans).
I got him to come to me after leaving food out and walking away, by doing what dogs do.
I laid down on my back in a submissive position and after a while of feeding and eventually petting him I was able to get in my cars backseat and lay down with the door open with more food and patience, and he got into my car layed down with me and ate,and I petted him again for a long time then slowly closed the door and climb into the front seat, and took him to the vet, and then home. He slept curled above my head the first night, he just needed a safe haven.

My loss is too fresh to do this right now, but if there is another Big Doggie lover out there other than me willing to take the time to tame him from my personal experience it can be well worth the effort.

Please do not call 911
I had a friend who had just given her dog a bath and her kids let the dog out of the gate in Cincinnati Ohio and a neighbor called 911 on this big dog, and the responding officer found him in the ally and shot and killed him. I knew this dog he would rather give sloppy kisses than any thing to any one of any size.

Thank You
I agree 110% about calling 911 unless the dog is a proven danger. I'm so very sorry for your loss.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Sage

Don't think I have ever heard of calling 911 because of a stray dog in the neighborhood.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Don't think I have ever heard of calling 911 because of a stray dog in the neighborhood.
I think you call the non-emergency 911 number.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Queen View Post

Please do not call 911

Thank You
Dancing Queen. You are an angel.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromHHDS View Post

The Villages Florida
Animal Services | Sumter County, FL - Official Website

Not sure how well the Sumter County Animal Control does with dogs this size as far as adopting them out is concerned?
Old 01-25-2015, 05:26 PM
Platinum member

Dancing queen, so sorry for the loss of your pup 😟

This stray probably belongs to a neighboring area, or was dropped off.

He probably has a good thing going here and is probably being fed by folks. Hopefully someone can catch him so he'll have the chance to have a forever home.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:25 PM

Dancing Queen, You are a special person. I feel your pain, we lost our sweet Ginger 8 weeks ago and I still have a heavy heart.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:32 PM

I heard from a neighbor that he lives in a house on Kline street. His owner used to come with him to the park, walk him off the leash and not pick up his poop.
I can't guarantee this is the same red dog, but would love to see him walk home some day and have this mystery solved!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.