Do you lock your doors

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2020, 06:58 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

My idea of a walk on the wild side is to not lock the door into the house from the garage. But the other doors are locked.

We have owned several houses throughout the years, and we always have the locks changed as soon as we take possession. We also always change the garage code.

Even though you are buying from perfectly nice people, you never know how many keys are out there somewhere.

Just think — you could come home to find a stranger drinking your beer or taking a nap on your couch because the family had moved but did not tell him.

Last edited by Boomer; 10-15-2020 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-15-2020, 07:28 PM
Bikeracer2009

I will assume the people that don't lock their doors or own guns have never had a reason to.

I have electronic locks, several security cameras, lots of fire power and other levels of protection. I've been shot at more than once, robbed, made half dozen arrest at gun point and been in dozens of street fights. I've lived in some bad areas. The last place I lived, a drug dealer came up to me as I was rehabbing my house, she welcomed me to the neighborhood. She was in her 60's and a skinny white lady. She said she was a thief and a drug dealer if I needed anything to let her know. I then installed security cameras and security bars on the doors and windows. I also found out that the Warlocks had a house one block over.

I feel very safe here in TV but old habits die hard.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Yes we do. There are thieves that have moved here also.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:56 PM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

Sometimes it’s the people we allow in our homes that do the stealing. Family, so called friends and people that do service work in and around our homes. Please be careful!
Old 10-15-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I don’t lock front door because it could be pushed in easily
Other doors and garage always locked
Couldn't agree anymore.
Many front doors here in The Villages have a plastic decorative insert that can be easily pushed-in to gain easy access to a residence. Also a firm push on the front door will also gain an easy entry.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:41 PM
Gold member

When we first moved here (19 yrs ago) we did not lock up like we do now. There are toooo many undesirables amongst us & the druggies need to support their habit ... would love some valuables! Yes we lock up even tho our valuables are only valuables to us!
Old 10-16-2020, 04:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG111 View Post
Greetings-

Just recently moved to The Villages from South Florida and I noticed that many people here in The Villages don't lock their doors.

Many new friends that I have made contact with here in The Villages not only don't lock their homes, but they also leave their car doors unlocked, some leave their golf cart keys in the ignition and some even leave their garage doors open.

I also noticed that while driving around the new construction areas of The Villages, many of the contractors leave a lot of valuable construction material unsecured.

Am I just being paranoid or is The Villages really that safe ? Thanks !
I nearly always lock my house and car. I carry my keys in my pocket all the time. That’s just the sort of person I am.

That said, I don’t recall there being ANY burglaries of houses in The Villages since February. NONE. There were several burglaries of cars parked on the street back around March, I think, but that person was caught. So if you don’t lock your door, you are probably fine. In a grocery store parking lot, if you leave a valuable in the car, lock the car! You never know who might park next to your car.

This is NOT the case in some of the surrounding communities. Many of them have much higher crime rates. Where there is drug abuse and unemployment and poor educations, there is crime. Drug abuse is a huge problem in this part of Florida—but not really in The Villages, except among the children of some of the owners.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:52 AM

Remember, no one here is a Villages native. Everyone has come from somewhere else. Think about that then decide if you want to leave your doors unlocked.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Greetings-

Just recently moved to The Villages from South Florida and I noticed that many people here in The Villages don't lock their doors.

Many new friends that I have made contact with here in The Villages not only don't lock their homes, but they also leave their car doors unlocked, some leave their golf cart keys in the ignition and some even leave their garage doors open.

I also noticed that while driving around the new construction areas of The Villages, many of the contractors leave a lot of valuable construction material unsecured.

.....and do those people (who don't lock up) realize how stupid they would look? They get robbed and when the police come to investigate, they say, "No, nothing was locked up." OH, but of course, they would never admit to their own stupidity.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Greetings-

We're from S. FL also and always lock doors, car everything.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
Remember, no one here is a Villages native. Everyone has come from somewhere else. Think about that then decide if you want to leave your doors unlocked.
Actually - I am a Florida native 53 years since birth so... I bought here at 28 - How ???
Because they told me the Benjamin's on my cash were all over 100 years each

And no... as a kid, we never locked a door - that only started recently if you hear me

-Steven Dean -
Old 10-16-2020, 05:34 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I don’t lock front door because it could be pushed in easily
Other doors and garage always locked

Harder to push in if locked.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:41 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Greetings-

This is not Utopia like some think. Anyone anywhere who leaves any doors unlocked needs to rethink that poor idea. How hard is it to lock ip? Takes about 2 seconds of your day. Would you load up your car with shopping from Kohls or Beals and keep your doors open while you catch some lunch? TV isnt as safe as some think. The age of the residents alone make it vulnerable to crime
Old 10-16-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Sumter Sheriff recommends locking doors so we do.
It should be the norm. Use common sense.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:44 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Sumter Sheriff recommends locking doors so we do.
Geeez. We need cops to tell us to lock up???
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, doors, leave, lock, construction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.