Post Do you lock your doors

I can’t believe that this question was even posted with replies
Old 10-16-2020, 06:23 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I don’t lock front door because it could be pushed in easily
Other doors and garage always locked
There is a police video showing how to harden your front door with several long screws. There are also door hardening kits available. Very easy to do and very effective.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:25 AM

Yes I keep my doors locked. I have a screen for my garage that doesn’t lock but I lock the door into the house. I wouldn’t mind if someone wanted hubby’s junk in the garage 😄
Old 10-16-2020, 06:31 AM

The houses are so similar, I’m afraid someone will accidentally walk into my house. That is the reason I lock our doors And if we forget when we go shopping or one night I don’t worry about it.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:37 AM
Default No! You’re not being paranoid. It’s stupid to leave house doors or car doors unlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG111 View Post
Greetings-

Just recently moved to The Villages from South Florida and I noticed that many people here in The Villages don't lock their doors.

Many new friends that I have made contact with here in The Villages not only don't lock their homes, but they also leave their car doors unlocked, some leave their golf cart keys in the ignition and some even leave their garage doors open.

I also noticed that while driving around the new construction areas of The Villages, many of the contractors leave a lot of valuable construction material unsecured.

Am I just being paranoid or is The Villages really that safe ? Thanks !
No, you’re not being paranoid. I wouldn’t even consider leaving my house or car unlocked. We don’t live in a bubble contrary to what some might say. This is a big city and there are the same problems here as anywhere else.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I don’t lock front door because it could be pushed in easily
Other doors and garage always locked
Hmm...I'm not really understanding this philosophy. Is the thought that thieves/burglars wouldn't try to access through the front door?

Notwithstanding whether the door can be forced open - and honestly, that's probably true for almost any door - I come from the frame of mind that you're only as secure as your weakest link provides. An unlocked door is about as weak as it gets, security-wise.

Why do people lock car doors? It's certainly not because a car window can't be broken. They do it because it makes it harder for a thief to get into the car without doing extra work - work that could easily draw attention from others.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:49 AM

I retired from the Miami-Dade Police Dept. Although our crime rate here is considerably lower than Miami, locking home and vehicle doors is a prudent thing to do. Lock up !
Old 10-16-2020, 06:51 AM

Although most of the Villages area is very safe, it doesn't mean that criminal trolls from the outside aren't cruising neighborhoods looking for an easy mark. It has happened almost throughout the Villages over the years. Someone in our village recently had their bicycles taken out of their open garage while they were home. Leaving doors unlocked, garages open for long periods and especially keys in ignition, is not a good practice here or anywhere.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:52 AM
Default Need to lock home doors ?

Life is filled "PROBABILITIES". Whether you'll be alive tomorrow, get in a car accident today etc,., etc. Some probabilities are higher than others - like a stranger in The Villages trying to enter your house. Car and golf cart keys a little higher.

People from small towns and rural areas generally feel one way; people from big cities might feel differently. I lock my doors out of habit, with little concern for mischief.

I once lived in Houston, in a high-rise bldg. I would go downstairs to the lobby to get my mail. When the ladies sitting sitting on the couches found I didn't lock my door ON THE TWELTH FLOOR, with TWO electronic doors to enter the building they were aghast !

Everyone has their own risk tolerance.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:54 AM
Veteran member

A few weeks ago, I heard someone stole a bike out of an open garage. Wife went to work, left garage open. A few minutes later husband went to get the bike, and it was gone. It was near Lake Sumter. Sorry for the redundancy, I didn't see the same post.

Last edited by bilcon; 10-16-2020 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Already posted
Old 10-16-2020, 06:58 AM

Being from rural Minnesota we never locked up. Here we're a little more careful..
Old 10-16-2020, 07:01 AM

Security cameras are cheap and easy to setup. I have several of them and some are visible from the exterior to hopefully deter a criminal. Locking doors keeps honest people out (a criminal will easily get past a lock) but I lock anyways. Why tempt. That being said, 5 years ago, I once forgot my wallet at a driving range. Hours later, I went back to look for it and thought it would be gone for sure when another golfer was hitting from the same spot that I was in. The wallet was right where I left it and the golfer said to me it probably would have still been in the same spot, touched, days from now. That has been my experience in TV, no evidence of crime where I live and I love that but take proper precautions just in case. Its not hard to do.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:06 AM

I would like to know how it was "noticed" that many do not lock their homes, cars or golf carts? Did the poster personally "try" various doors or vehicles? I never thought about NOT locking up anything, including myself when I am alone in my home or car.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:29 AM

If you don’t lock your doors make sure you never let your insurance agent know!
Old 10-16-2020, 07:41 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Having been robbed twice in previous homes (once when I was in the home!!!), I'm super conscious of locking up, even in lovely TV. My issue is that my rental villa does not have extra locks that I can use from inside, so I never know for sure who might use extra keys that are in others' possession or have been used by many before me. Don't want to sound paranoid to landlady, but I wish every rental had those inside locks like hotel rooms do.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, doors, leave, lock, construction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.