Do you lock your doors

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG111 View Post
Greetings-

Just recently moved to The Villages from South Florida and I noticed that many people here in The Villages don't lock their doors.

Many new friends that I have made contact with here in The Villages not only don't lock their homes, but they also leave their car doors unlocked, some leave their golf cart keys in the ignition and some even leave their garage doors open.

I also noticed that while driving around the new construction areas of The Villages, many of the contractors leave a lot of valuable construction material unsecured.

Am I just being paranoid or is The Villages really that safe ? Thanks !
They are all making a mistake by leaving their houses open. There IS crime and burglary (definitely) in The Villages. There is only an ILLUSION of safety caused by the gates and the roving VOLUNTEER trucks that burglars can avoid. I know that FIRSTHAND because a few years ago our home was broken into (through a rear window). We were away for only a few days. (the intruders seemed to know that). We lost about $5,000 worth of tools and other items that could be easily sold at pawn shops.The Police found zero fingerprints, which they said was what they usually found. They said that the thieves were practiced and clever and that there have been similar break-ins before in The Villages. It is an easy mark for them. The Police said that they would check the pawn shops for our items. They were NEVER recovered.

It is ONLY my personal opinion, but I believe that the thieves were tipped off to our being away from our house. I believe it was done in coordination with one of the daytime workers, like the lawn mowing and landscapers or maybe roofers. They may be paid for tips about who has what equipment and when a house is ripe for a burglary.

There is plenty of crime in TV Land and it could easily increase as the US suffers record increases in unemployment in the next few weeks. My advice is get some type of security equipment or a security service. Get a hidden safe for valuables. The Villages newspaper and radio is SELLING a perfect and safe lifestyle. But, you can find out reality by checking a crime blotter for this area on the internet. I have also heard (not 1st hand experience) that golf cars are also stolen on a regular basis. And I know, for a fact, that several cars in the Buffalo soft ball parking lot were broken into several months back. There is a dark underbelly to the TV Land perfect world that is ignored by most and newcomers need to become AWARE of.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

My husband always says about being safe here;

"What could anyone steal that would really, REALLY, matter?"

"Why would anyone come in to harm us when everyone has camera's everywhere? "

And if you don't ....go right now and buy some at Sam's Club.

Locking your doors is not a bad thing, but at this time, we live in one of the safest places in the country.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:36 AM

I have tended to not lock house doors. I do however take all keys with me. I just have me er been paranoid about that.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
They are all making a mistake by leaving their houses open. There IS crime and burglary (definitely) in The Villages. There is only an ILLUSION of safety caused by the gates and the roving VOLUNTEER trucks that burglars can avoid. I know that FIRSTHAND because a few years ago our home was broken into (through a rear window). We were away for only a few days. (the intruders seemed to know that). We lost about $5,000 worth of tools and other items that could be easily sold at pawn shops.The Police found zero fingerprints, which they said was what they usually found. They said that the thieves were practiced and clever and that there have been similar break-ins before in The Villages. It is an easy mark for them. The Police said that they would check the pawn shops for our items. They were NEVER recovered.

It is ONLY my personal opinion, but I believe that the thieves were tipped off to our being away from our house. I believe it was done in coordination with one of the daytime workers, like the lawn mowing and landscapers or maybe roofers. They may be paid for tips about who has what equipment and when a house is ripe for a burglary.

There is plenty of crime in TV Land and it could easily increase as the US suffers record increases in unemployment in the next few weeks. My advice is get some type of security equipment or a security service. Get a hidden safe for valuables. The Villages newspaper and radio is SELLING a perfect and safe lifestyle. But, you can find out reality by checking a crime blotter for this area on the internet. I have also heard (not 1st hand experience) that golf cars are also stolen on a regular basis. And I know, for a fact, that several cars in the Buffalo soft ball parking lot were broken into several months back. There is a dark underbelly to the TV Land perfect world that is ignored by most and newcomers need to become AWARE of.
Probably drug addict living with mommy close by that observed when you were gone. Most burglaries are tipped offs or stocked to ensure nobody will be home.

The dark underbelly IMO drug addicts moochers.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Greetings-

Just recently moved to The Villages from South Florida and I noticed that many people here in The Villages don't lock their doors.

Many new friends that I have made contact with here in The Villages not only don't lock their homes, but they also leave their car doors unlocked, some leave their golf cart keys in the ignition and some even leave their garage doors open.

I also noticed that while driving around the new construction areas of The Villages, many of the contractors leave a lot of valuable construction material unsecured.

We moved here from S. Fl 11 years ago. We always lock our doors, our car & don’t let the garage door stay up. When in S.Fl we had two house burglaries, hubbies car stolen 2x, one purse snatching in a parking lot. The last house break in they got two pistols and all our flat screen TVs (just ripped right off the walls). One gun was returned by Hollywood police after it was recovered in another crime. My mother had her car stolen 2x, and robbed in her own driveway after being followed from the bank. My aunt was mugged & robbed in front of my parent’s house one Christmas Day. Oh & we lived in a nice neighborhood.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Greetings-

I have lived in TV for 17 years and i have NEVER encountered a single problem. On a scale of 1 - 10 i would rate TV a 9.5. But we will never know what tomorrow brings. Better safe then not.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old 10-16-2020, 11:06 AM

If Don’t see the point of this post, and it could possibly cause problems.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Greetings-

You are not paranoid. The examples you point to are either naive, stupid, or both.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:15 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Any prudent person locks their doors wherever they live...
Old 10-16-2020, 12:22 PM

Create a sign for your outside doors that says:
"This door is locked for YOUR safety, not MINE."
Even if the door is unlocked, anyone with criminal intent will think twice.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:59 PM

Unfortunately I have had a few bad experiences. I left my rake and shovel out front while I went in the back yard to get something.
When I came back they were gone. I looked everywhere and thought I lost my mind but no I never saw them again. The other day I left my new clippers on a chair on my porch overnight and they too were gone. Also, one day when my door bell rand I opened my door and a lady had my screen door open and barged into my house pushing me backwards. She said she was the caregiver. I pushed her back out the door and told her she had the wrong house. Now I lock the screen door also. So maybe it is a good idea to lock doors. We have many outside people coming into The Villages so it is no different than any place else. I don't think we should be frightened, just careful.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:00 PM
John41

Door signs.

DUE TO THE HIGH COST OF AMMO, DO NOT EXPECT A WARNING SHOT.

I LOVE MY PIT BULL

Last edited by John41; 10-16-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Probably drug addict living with mommy close by that observed when you were gone. Most burglaries are tipped offs or stocked to ensure nobody will be home.

The dark underbelly IMO drug addicts moochers.
Very possible. Agreed.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:44 PM

Your choice
Old 10-16-2020, 01:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
we too came up from south Florida where you locked your doors....after a series of daytime robberies (committed by the lawn mowing guys) in the neighborhood we all signed up for ADT

TV is WAY safer...but I still lock up.
Yes. I could do without lawnmower people. Maybe soon there will be robotic mowers available at a reasonable price for everyone. Slow growing grass would be nice also.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, doors, leave, lock, construction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.