Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2020, 06:21 AM

How do you know? Are you trying people’s front doors and car doors?LOL
Old 10-17-2020, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinricci View Post
How do you know? Are you trying people’s front doors and car doors?LOL
It helps to hit the quote button so people will know who you are directing your comments to.

If it was me, did I say anything about people doors or unlocked cars?
Old 10-17-2020, 06:46 AM

We lived on Long Island for many years and our house was robbed while my wife was picking me up at the airport. The robber(s) bashed in our front door, which was mostly glass, like many in TV. It was January. They took some jewelry and cash from the kitchen and master bedroom, which is typical according to the police. The most expensive loss was the front door. I had to cover the entry with plywood for a week until I could get it replaced. In addition, non- violent property crimes don’t get much reaction from the police or your insurance company, but it does affect your sense of security after it happens.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Door signs.

DUE TO THE HIGH COST OF AMMO, DO NOT EXPECT A WARNING SHOT.

I LOVE MY PIT BULL
Old 10-17-2020, 07:31 AM

Locks only stop honest people!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:28 AM

Definitely lock up. There is much traffic around the new area - better to be safe than sorry.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:05 AM

My God!! Why not change out the door and get one with a dead bolt. It would be a whole lot safer than the one you have now. Only a suggestion.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Like Fort Knox at our house. We had a terrfying experience some years ago. A lovely neighbor who was in dementia got out of her home in the early hours of the morning and was trying to get into ours, banging on the front door and she was absolutely terrified. I called 911 and they told me not to let her in and that they would be there ASAP and they were. Took her back to her home, woke her husband and shortly after that she is in one of the very nice dementia homes here.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-17-2020, 10:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by equaintance View Post
Unfortunately I have had a few bad experiences. I left my rake and shovel out front while I went in the back yard to get something.
When I came back they were gone. I looked everywhere and thought I lost my mind but no I never saw them again. The other day I left my new clippers on a chair on my porch overnight and they too were gone. Also, one day when my door bell rand I opened my door and a lady had my screen door open and barged into my house pushing me backwards. She said she was the caregiver. I pushed her back out the door and told her she had the wrong house. Now I lock the screen door also. So maybe it is a good idea to lock doors. We have many outside people coming into The Villages so it is no different than any place else. I don't think we should be frightened, just careful.
My goodness! What village do you live in?
Old 10-17-2020, 12:31 PM
Default Locking doors

I was also pretty complacent about locking my doors. Didn't worry if I forgot. That was until my car was stolen from my driveway a couple of years ago. Other cars were broken into also. My car was retrieved in Orlando, so they had traveled a good distance. My car is now always in my garage and doors are locked. Not paranoid, but don't want to make it easier for any one.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,419 Times in 2,268 Posts

Even though we currently live in the country I still lock my doors and will continue to do so when we move to The Villages. I just don't see any upside to leaving them unlocked.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-17-2020, 03:30 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Having been robbed twice in previous homes (once when I was in the home!!!), I'm super conscious of locking up, even in lovely TV. My issue is that my rental villa does not have extra locks that I can use from inside, so I never know for sure who might use extra keys that are in others' possession or have been used by many before me. Don't want to sound paranoid to landlady, but I wish every rental had those inside locks like hotel rooms do.
There is an alarm you can put on your inside front door handle and take with you when you leave. We used one when on a cruise ship or at a motel. There is also a rod with a “Y” to wedge under your front door handle. And you can cut a dowel to fit in your slider tracks.

If we were ever robbed I would need therapy to sleep at night. Fortunately I married an Annie Oakley.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, doors, leave, lock, construction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.