Do you think the virus will be under control by Easter? (approx 3.5 weeks from now)

View Poll Results: Do you think the country will be ready to re-open by Easter? (April 12th)
Yes 21 13.55%
No 121 78.06%
Don't know 13 8.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2020, 10:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
With the total lack of control of who comes into the state from where along with far too many not adhering to the avoidance guidelines......the potential seems to be FL could be much worse by Easter.
I agree. Weeks ago I said the US needed a total lockdown to burn the virus out. That opportunity came and went. Pragmatically speaking, our leaders are now BALANCING infections/death and economic destruction.

I agree with the epidemiologists that say "most" of us (~70%) will become infected. Life will not "return to normal" until we have a vaccine (~18 months away). Again, this is what top epidemiologists are stating. (I'm just agreeing.)

This is going to be a long period of disruption to normal routine for everyone, especially our vulnerable population. It appears the current thinking is to "open up" the country and perhaps quarantine the most vulnerable.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, bourbon in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!" -- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 03-25-2020, 10:29 AM
Location: Pickerington ,Oh during the summer. Fenney during the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Coronavirus Act Now

CovidActNow.org was created by a team of data scientists, engineers, and designers in partnership with epidemiologists, public health officials, and political leaders to help understand how the COVID-19 pandemic will affect their region.

This tool is built to enable political leaders to quickly make decisions in their Coronavirus response informed by best available data and modeling.

We built this tool to answer critically important questions such as:

What will the impact be in my region be and when can I expect it?
How long until my hospital system is under severe pressure?
What is my menu of interventions, and how will they address the spread of Coronavirus?

Who built this tool?

CoVidActNow was founded by Max Henderson, Rep Jonathan Kreiss-Tomkins, Igor Kofman, and Zack Rosen, with medical and policy guidance from Nirav R. Shah (MD, MPH, senior scholar, Stanford University Clinical Excellence Research Center).
I guess I don't understand the chart showing available hospital beds at something around 30,000. I am reading it wrong?. Total hospital beds are 924,000.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Some parts of the US where there are few cases could be open right now. So yes they’ll be ready by Easter. But when you look at heavily impacted states or hot areas, those will not be ready to “open” by Easter and if they are “forced” to there will likely be a second wave in my opinion, like in Singapore. Rules were relaxed too soon.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

1st and foremost, it's American lives, think we can all agree.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Some parts of the US where there are few cases could be open right now. So yes they’ll be ready by Easter. But when you look at heavily impacted states or hot areas, those will not be ready to “open” by Easter and if they are “forced” to there will likely be a second wave in my opinion, like in Singapore. Rules were relaxed too soon.
The parts where there are few cases, are the parts where "people worried about catching it in their own areas" go. And they will bring their germs and virii with them.

As long as people can GET from point A to point B, no place is immune to this thing.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4fpsb View Post
I guess I don't understand the chart showing available hospital beds at something around 30,000. I am reading it wrong?. Total hospital beds are 924,000.
That chart is Florida only.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:03 PM

I believe that each state will again decide one by one whether to open their restrictions. I don't think those states, like New York, currently completely locked down are going to be ready to lift all restrictions.
As far as Florida, I think our state government will lift all restriction in less than 4 weeks.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:12 PM
Default Wake up Villagers!

The rest of the world is suffering tremendously. And we are concerned that we cannot go on with our FAIRYTALE life. We can all do our part. STAY HOME!!!
Watch TV. Call people to say : how you doing? Go outside for a walk. If you have been charitable all your life - be charitable now. Think about others please. Italy has left people over the age of 60 with no ventilators. They will just die. Lord knows I don’t want it to come to that extreme. Just think about TV. Most of us are over 60...
Old 03-25-2020, 12:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaSha View Post
The rest of the world is suffering tremendously. And we are concerned that we cannot go on with our FAIRYTALE life. We can all do our part. STAY HOME!!!
Watch TV. Call people to say : how you doing? Go outside for a walk. If you have been charitable all your life - be charitable now. Think about others please. Italy has left people over the age of 60 with no ventilators. They will just die. Lord knows I don’t want it to come to that extreme. Just think about TV. Most of us are over 60...

Best post I’ve seen in a while. Thank you and welcome to the forum.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Of course it won't be "ready to open" by Easter. It's a ridiculous expectation and only the gullible would believe it.

That isn't the point though. The point is - someone expects it to be open by Easter ANYWAY. Whether it's ready or not.
Let’s see what does “hope” “plan” “ hopefully” mean? Nobody said we WILL be open by then, but for the good of the county hopefully we will. IMO I dough we will. But I HOPE most of country will be able to get people back to work. There that HOPE or plan or hopefully again. It don’t mean WILL.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
I believe that each state will again decide one by one whether to open their restrictions. I don't think those states, like New York, currently completely locked down are going to be ready to lift all restrictions.
As far as Florida, I think our state government will lift all restriction in less than 4 weeks.

Not if NYC area keep coming down here affected.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Nobody going to force them.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Let’s see what does “hope” “plan” “ hopefully” mean? Nobody said we WILL be open by then, but for the good of the county hopefully we will. IMO I dough we will. But I HOPE most of country will be able to get people back to work. There that HOPE or plan or hopefully again. It don’t mean WILL.
Read the poll question:
Quote:
Do you think the country will be ready to re-open by Easter? (April 12th)
I answered the question that was asked.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:15 PM

I already miss my Peeps.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Spreading false or unrealistic hope doesn't help at all.

Tags
easter, politics, york, involve, country

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.