Do You Trust The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
As part of my due dilligence I walked through 6 homes under construction and observed well built homes using the latest hurricane resistance construction methods.

The fact that they build thousands of the same home results in a highly optimized design and construction process.
If I may I disagree I’ve had the pleasure of doing an extensive remodeling and the sub par quality finish work on the interior was ridiculous on my courtyard Villa. And it was built in 1994.
So whoever was responsible for the finish inspection and signed off on the paperwork was not doing his job.
Anyone buying a new home here will get a warranty for a year I recommend you hire a inspector to go completely through your house before that year is up.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:17 AM
Sage

I took the liberty of looking at ALL the thread posts the OP started and apparently he/she has many questions re: living here (I'm assuming they already have moved in) over the past year. Those types of questions were ones we asked our agent and others before we signed on the dotted line to purchase. As for the impending storm--you must either have A LOT of anxiety as there were two very similar threads started within a relatively short period of time re: it. I'm currently listening to Jerry on WVLG this morning. He grew up in Miami btw. He's giving lots of info. that we can take in advisement. He tells us not to speculate! That would be the correct thing to do. IF you're anxious and fearful---maybe you should pack up and evacuate instead of stirring a pot on social media!
Old 08-29-2019, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Basically - if you live in the "historical section" where there are mostly manufactured homes, you won't be safe if the storm hits *right there* in that spot. Even if you live in one of the newer site-built homes in Silver Lake, it'll get damaged by all the manufactured homes flying all over the place. But again, that is only IF the storm hits in that spot.

It isn't likely to get a direct hit in that spot; the worst in Silver Lake and Orange Blossom is more likely to be flooding and power outages.

A tornado came through the Villages and caused a lot of damage to one area - mostly several homes on a single street. A friend lives a block away from where the worst damage was, and was living there at the time (she's one of the reasons we decided, back in 2008, to move to the Villages when it was time to retire). Her home had very minor damage so this was really a very isolated incident.

Lady Lake, including the old section of the Villages, has a lot of trailer parks, so they fare a lot worse in tornadoes and hurricanes.

In general, homes in the Villages are built stronger than homes further north along the coast in other states.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvdd1 View Post
Ok, but your home was built over 20 years ago when workmanship within The Villages "old management team" mattered.

In my humble opinion, the new homes built now and managed by the "new" management team at The Villages place profit over workmanship. Just my opinion.
Our lead builder has been with The Villages since he came with Gary Morse from Michigan. There are many builders and their crews. The State of Florida has hurricane requirements and standards for building, recently updated about twelve years ago. BUT

Nothing can withstand certain Hurricane conditions. They say hide from wind and run from water. Water is the biggest challenge. Last time with Irma, The Villages was able to divert a lot of the flooding and inundated their own golf courses to save the homes.

Then people complained they couldn't play golf for quite some time.

Be sure your car is gassed. Have cages ready for your pets. And know we are all worried.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Our lead builder has been with The Villages since he came with Gary Morse from Michigan. There are many builders and their crews. The State of Florida has hurricane requirements and standards for building, recently updated about twelve years ago. BUT

Nothing can withstand certain Hurricane conditions. They say hide from wind and run from water. Water is the biggest challenge. Last time with Irma, The Villages was able to divert a lot of the flooding and inundated their own golf courses to save the homes.

Then people complained they couldn't play golf for quite some time.

Be sure your car is gassed. Have cages ready for your pets. And know we are all worried.
Gracie you are always positive and up beat BUT!
The speed the homes are built in, is a concern and the inspectors can't keep up with construction and have to trust the contractors to do it right. For the most part it gets done correctly, at least the structure does.
The reality is that if a projectile hits the window and the house gets pressurized game over , the roof is likely to come off.
The Roof schedule is better than 20 to 30 pages for all the specs to be done correctly, even the nail pattern. The overhangs are at a minimum due to the lift they can create. Bottom-line is; hope we don't take a direct hit. Being inland is important for the hurricane to lose its strength..
Stay Safe everyone!!!!
Old 08-29-2019, 07:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
...the inspectors can't keep up with construction and have to trust the contractors to do it right...
I’m wondering what you base that on. Not likely at all.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I’m wondering what you base that on. Not likely at all.
Believe what you WANT!
If you haven't been in the industry for forty years you would have no clue. have a nice day!
Old 08-29-2019, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When some are uncomfortable and worried they get angry.

When some can't find solutions to problems they look to blame and sometimes there is reason to blame.

We all have different reactions to frustration and danger

Most of the houses are fine and built well. We have owned two new homes here and have seen eleven homes built in our life time, not counting two of our children's home being built.

We watched this home be built every day, EVERY day. It is cementblock, our pick for winds. .

It only requires one chink or one alteration in a garage door to let in a little wind then whooooosh.

Everyone is worried. Everyone in Florida.

But if you're born to hang, you won't drown,...….. is what my grandfather told me.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-29-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I took the liberty of looking at ALL the thread posts the OP started and apparently he/she has many questions re: living here (I'm assuming they already have moved in) over the past year. Those types of questions were ones we asked our agent and others before we signed on the dotted line to purchase. As for the impending storm--you must either have A LOT of anxiety as there were two very similar threads started within a relatively short period of time re: it. I'm currently listening to Jerry on WVLG this morning. He grew up in Miami btw. He's giving lots of info. that we can take in advisement. He tells us not to speculate! That would be the correct thing to do. IF you're anxious and fearful---maybe you should pack up and evacuate instead of stirring a pot on social media!
And maybe you should be a good neighbor and not bash a poster for being fearful about a hurricane.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
And maybe you should be a good neighbor and not bash a poster for being fearful about a hurricane.
I did not see anything Bashing. I saw honest observation and good advice. if you are having anxiety about your home in the face of an oncoming hurricane the correct thing to do is to get away while you can.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:30 AM

I will say it again, it amazes me how many people seem to not be happy with the quality here, but bought anyway...
Old 08-29-2019, 09:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I don't understand the point of the OP.

If the OP doesn't live in TV, then why come here and post a question like that which will instill possible fear into residents that are new to Florida.

If the OP does live in TV, then why do they live here? Why would a person live in Florida in a home they do not trust in a hurricane?

NOW is not the time for people to be questioning the building quality and safety of their homes, now is the time to try to relax and if that means going to visit friends up north, then do it, if that means getting some extra beers or wine to last through a few days of power outage, then do that. But focusing on quality of your homes building and whether or not it is safe is not a good thing for anyone - especially people new to Florida - to do when a hurricane is approaching. The time for that was before you purchased. I mean seriously folks Florida and hurricanes kind of go together, they always have and they always will. If you don't trust your home so much you have to come online and ask others if your home is safe, then you really need to consider moving someplace safer - like CA on a Clift side so your home can go slip sliding away in a mud slide, or Kansa so you can hum "Up, Up and away" as a tornado relocates your home to Oz, or to LA so you can get you exercise vibrating to the tunes of the next earth quake...
RIGHT !!!! Now is not the time. This topic wasn't just an innocent little question in passing. If only a few people become anywhere from a little uncomfortable to outright panicked, then I suppose the OP will find joy in that. I stand by my criticism of this thread at this time of an impending severe storm coming.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
When doors open outward, the hinges are on the outside so that is a security issue. All it takes is a screw driver and a hammer to remove the door.

Our front door on our home in South Florida swung to the inside.
That's simply not true.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:38 AM
Sage

After Andrew in 92 the codes were changed, a friend of mine built Sunrise, he Built Marjorie Stoneman HS--he was the person who told me about the south Fl codes

Just checked its code that all s.Fl doors must swing outward in HVZ areas

Last edited by Chatbrat; 08-29-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I did not see anything Bashing. I saw honest observation and good advice. if you are having anxiety about your home in the face of an oncoming hurricane the correct thing to do is to get away while you can.
Look again/\. The "bashing" was the "stirring the pot" remark about social media, which implied their post wasn't real or justified in some way.
Closed Thread

Tags
homes, villages, built, trust, construction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.