Do You Use Cash Anymore?

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2015, 08:19 AM
Gold member

I pay mostly with Frequent Flyer Miles cards. One thing I use cash for is tips at restaurants. I was never a waiter but friends who were said management would monitor their tip amounts for what reason I don't recall. So I tip in cash thinking maybe I am making the servers a little happier.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I hardly ever use cash. The deal on air miles is too good. I try to use my card for everything.

I do keep about $30-$40 in my pocket in case someone doesn't take credit cards but it lasts for a month or more. I pay as many bills as I can with my credit card and am not happy about some entities that won't accept my credit card. I may cancel my membership at Sam's Club because they don't accept VISA. when I consider that the membership is $100 a year, and what I save, I have to consider what I lose in air fares. One of the utility companies doesn't accept credit card as a method of payment. I wish I could change it.

Of course, I pay off my balance every month so I never pay any interest. I think that anyone who still uses cash is missing out.

Of course if I need cash in an emergency, there are always plenty of ATMs around.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I pay mostly with Frequent Flyer Miles cards. One thing I use cash for is tips at restaurants. I was never a waiter but friends who were said management would monitor their tip amounts for what reason I don't recall. So I tip in cash thinking maybe I am making the servers a little happier.
I also try to tip in cash for the same reasons. Especially in Chinese buffets where many of those kids are working for tips only. A lot of people don't know it but many of those servers at buffets are here because a company has made a deal with their families. The restaurant pays the family a lump sum and then the kid has to work it off bussing tables and serving water. They get to keep their tips. Many of the owners will not give them the tips that are on cards. The kids only get what is left on the table for them, and in many cases it's not a lot because they don't take your order or bring the food to the table. But they do clear and clean the table and bring additional drinks. In some cases, they work harder than servers in other restaurants that have buss people.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:53 AM
Platinum member

Hardly ever use cash anymore. Usually have a few dollars in my wallet for a cup of coffee or for tips but that's about it.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I also try to tip in cash for the same reasons. Especially in Chinese buffets where many of those kids are working for tips only. A lot of people don't know it but many of those servers at buffets are here because a company has made a deal with their families. The restaurant pays the family a lump sum and then the kid has to work it off bussing tables and serving water. They get to keep their tips. Many of the owners will not give them the tips that are on cards. The kids only get what is left on the table for them, and in many cases it's not a lot because they don't take your order or bring the food to the table. But they do clear and clean the table and bring additional drinks. In some cases, they work harder than servers in other restaurants that have buss people.
Are you basically saying that the young people at local Chinese buffets are working as indentured servants? Is this for their family in the US or in China? That sounds highly illegal to me with the younger workers probably being illegals. Read a book called "Snakehead" and it tells about the same thing.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Cash is king. Don't ever be without it for emergency purposes.

Agree, agree. Have seen people in a predicament when they encounter a cash only business, especially if it is their first time there and they were unaware!

With the fees and charges associated with credit cards, many small mom and pop businesses are resorting to cash only. Certainly understand, a small business loses thousands to those fees yearly. Been there, done that!

I always have some cash tucked away when I go out.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:58 PM

Oh, and to the actual question - my caffeine fix at the gas station on Monday.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
Just curious. Have you used cash in the last week? If you did, what did you use it for?
I use cash-back Visa whenever possible: restaurants, gas, online shopping, etc. I keep cash handy for emergencies, but it's rarely used except for tips.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
Just curious. Have you used cash in the last week? If you did, what did you use it for?
Never carry cash anymore. Just to much risk of getting robbed if people see you buying with cash. Also the fact that credit cards give you an incentive to charge. Just payoff each month during the grace period.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGUY View Post
I use less than $10 a week....my wife on the other hand uses it like monopoly money (she knows it's harder for me to track it that way....she is a smart woman)!!
LOL on that one NYGUY. Our ladies are smart and know how to get around our accounting methods.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:38 PM
Platinum member

We us cash for groceries. Have a food allowance.
Tampa, FL
Old 03-25-2015, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I carry cash but never dollar bills.....hate them....use the gold dollar coins instead. Easier to retrieve, doesn't give an indication of what's in a wallet. You would be surprised how many servers don't know they exist. Then sometimes, just for fun, I will also carry a few 2 dollar bills which, along with dollar coins, helps some servers do math.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-25-2015, 04:29 PM

There is an author named Dave Ramsey who has been a great help to us financially. How book is The Total Money Makeover. He says that using cash fires the same neurons in your brain as being in pain. Its true! Take 20 to the store and you will put back things you would have gotten on your credit card. Even though we too used to credit everything and pay off the balance, we now have envelopes with spending, restaurants, clothes and play. Every two weeks we put in the same amount we used to charge for theses things, and now we usually have money left over at the end of the two weeks. We use the "leftovers" for things we want but don't need (bought an iPad, etc.) Still charge gas, big purchases, etc. Works for us! And we have airline miles, too, from the bigger purchases, so spending extra just to get miles doesn't make sense to us.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspat View Post
There is an author named Dave Ramsey who has been a great help to us financially. How book is The Total Money Makeover. He says that using cash fires the same neurons in your brain as being in pain. Its true! Take 20 to the store and you will put back things you would have gotten on your credit card. Even though we too used to credit everything and pay off the balance, we now have envelopes with spending, restaurants, clothes and play. Every two weeks we put in the same amount we used to charge for theses things, and now we usually have money left over at the end of the two weeks. We use the "leftovers" for things we want but don't need (bought an iPad, etc.) Still charge gas, big purchases, etc. Works for us! And we have airline miles, too, from the bigger purchases, so spending extra just to get miles doesn't make sense to us.
I like you plan - congratulations on what appears to be a great execution of said plan!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Veteran member

We charge everything to get Hilton points and air miles. Pay at the end of the month. The only exception is when we tip we give cash and when shopping at small, non-chain stores. The small stores lose 2% to 3% on card purchases and I hate to do that so I can get a couple points toward a free night in a hotel.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.