Does anyone know anything about solar powered generators??

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Default Power problems

I would leave it if the power was going to be off for an extended period of time. It's not often, in the 13 years I've lived here that the power is off for very long. Thanks to the buried utilities.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Solar panels can absorb and store the suns energy, cut down on electric bills and help the planet but they aren't cheap...yet. I think that the cost to have solar panels installed is about tenK. Am I right?
A whole house solar system is at or above $25K. A standby generator system starts at about $10 to $12K. If you have Natural Gas you can have the Generator setup to run on it. Far better then using gasoline or propane for the fuel.

If you opt to use a whole house system solar system the excess power you generate can be put back out on the grid and you will get paid for it by the power company. None of this is cost effective but if you have the money to burn go for it.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:46 PM

Before investing $25K+ in a whole house solar system, make sure that your Homeowners Insurance will cover wind damage to the system. I was just about to have one installed when I found that my insurance would not cover it, so I backed out. I'll revisit the issue again next year because the concept seems appealing to me - even though the the time it would take to pay-off the system is long.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:06 AM

Power independent of the grid is just another form of insurance. Your risk tolerance is the determining factor of how much "insurance" you carry, if any. Payback is another matter - standby generators will never break even, solar will take 12-15 years but it sounds like peace of mind is more important than payback.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdoc View Post
If he doesn't weigh in today, pm Jimbo2012. He's our resident solar guru and can probably give the best advice.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

"...the excess power you generate can be put back out on the grid and you will get paid for it by the power company."

Who is your electricity supplier? SECO currently doesn't buy back power. However, things change - and since Florida is pro-renewables they could mandate it.

A simple solar water heater on the roof is relatively cheap - saves you electricity year-round and you'd still have hot water in a power outage.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Are you looking for emergency power? A company advertises on Glenn Beck at times and sites like Worldnetdaily.net
I just did YAHOO search for solar backup generator, found quite a few. If you get one let me know how it goes.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
If TV would allow wind mills I would have one in an instant. They are effective even in moderate to mild breezes. I think all the mills turing would add a futuristic look to TV....and much less dependent on man for source supply.
Have you checked into this?

I was told that Florida's pro-renewables policy means that you can't be prohibited from having solar panels on your roof or an outside washing line, even if you have signed a restrictive document such as a condo agreement.

Maybe this applies to personal wind turbines too, as long as their noise etc. does not disturb your neighbors.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Gold member

Maybe these links will help clarify some things:

Florida Solar Rights Act presented by Broward Solar

http://flaseref.org/florida_solar_rights_law_flier.pdf

I'll have to research it but I believe that all electric companies have to purchase back solar electricity at the legal specified rate, which I also recall it being at retail in Florida. Every state differs in their electric purchase rate.
Added: It appears from my research that the law does not apply to cooperatives, which SECO is listed as.
Tough luck in TV!

It's called Net Metering.
http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/i...ode=FL19R&ee=1

Here is what Florida Power and Light does:
http://www.fpl.com/residential/savin...ng/index.shtml
In reality, they're different!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Wouldn't work very well at night. You'd need a housefull of storage batteries to keep the juice flowing 24/7. Your wish seems like something to be perfected way into the future.
Not true. I have 4 deep cycle marine batteries to back up the essentials (refrigerator, deep freezer, gas furnace fans, etc) in my 3,000 sq ft house in the case of a power outage. The batteries take up a cube measuring about 2-1/2' x 2-1/2'. They can power my essentials instantly through an inverter for about 3 days and nights. Switchover is in milliseconds and totally silent. Complete cost about 5 years ago was about $6000. I've since added solar panels to lower my electrical bill to $0 and to charge and re-charge the batteries. If there is no sun to recharge, I have the option to plug in a small, quiet Honda gas generator.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:42 PM

could cost less graciegirl it all depends on pull needed and what and how they are used
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.