Does anyone know roofing?

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Default Does anyone know roofing?

We are in the Village of Pinellas. A lot of roofs took a hit here...at least 6-7 in our small neighborhood. Granted the winds here were really bad. One thing my husband noticed: on the back of the shingle, there is a thin plastic sheet. If you remove this thin plastic layer off the shingle it leaves a sticky surface. They were on all the shingles of the roofs that were damaged. My question: do shingles have this thin layer of plastic on when, applied to the roof? Thanks for any information. Also, recommendation for a roofer? We are 6-7 homes in a circle that need their houses done! Glad we are all safe!
Old 09-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran member

Batterbee Roofing did one of our homes. Showed up on time and finished on time.

352 748 6300

Info@batterbeeroofing.com
Old 09-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Default Roofing

I would save the shingles that came off of your roof and contact home warranty because I believe that strip of paper should have been taken off the back of the shingles so that the tar strip on the shingles melts and adheres that shingle to the shingle that it is on. This also helps create a waterproof seal.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvalcq View Post
I would save the shingles that came off of your roof and contact home warranty because I believe that strip of paper should have been taken off the back of the shingles so that the tar strip on the shingles melts and adheres that shingle to the shingle that it is on. This also helps create a waterproof seal.
Exactly. Call the Warranty Dept.

Skip
Old 09-11-2017, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts

WOW, looks like an installation problem, definitely call home warranty, also, there should be a sticker on your breaker box indicating who the builder was, I would give them a call also.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

https://www.gaf.com/Warranties_Techn...R_2011_106.pdf

People that don't know what they are talking about..... might want to stay quiet.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post

https://www.gaf.com/Warranties_Techn...R_2011_106.pdf

People that don't know what they are talking about..... might want to stay quiet.
We are now up to 8 homes in our 50 home neighborhood with roof damage. It just seems kind of odd since our neighborhood has the most damage and others in Pinellas have none. All the tiles that came off the houses have thin plastic sheath. There seems to be something wrong.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulascorpio View Post
We are now up to 8 homes in our 50 home neighborhood with roof damage. It just seems kind of odd since our neighborhood has the most damage and others in Pinellas have none. All the tiles that came off the houses have thin plastic sheath. There seems to be something wrong.
Did you read the "Link"? I don't doubt there is a problem..... but it's not the "thin plastic strip" they are on all shingles. I hope it all gets sorted out. My post was for the people that want to pile on because they think something was done wrong. Maybe even hoping something was done wrong by the builder.
My house is 17 years old and my new roof is 4-5 months old. No problems at all.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Default Does anyone know roofing?

Absolutely call warranty. My husband & I were driving around & noticed many newer homes without shingles (less than 5 yrs). The shingles are warrantied up to 110 mph for 15 yrs by certainteed but it seems that the builders are at fault in many of these homes. How can so many shingles come off with way less than 110 that we experienced here in The Villages. Something was not done right IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by cmj1210; 09-11-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Did you read the "Link"? I don't doubt there is a problem..... but it's not the "thin plastic strip" they are on all shingles. I hope it all gets sorted out. My post was for the people that want to pile on because they think something was done wrong. Maybe even hoping something was done wrong by the builder.
My house is 17 years old and my new roof is 4-5 months old. No problems at all.
I read your information (thank you for the info) but I question why 8 homes built within the last 3-4 years lost parts of their roofing in one small neighborhood. The houses are supposed to withstand Cat 2 winds. So I am looking for a common denominator.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Sage

There is no reason other than defective or improperly installed shingles should they fly off in a 60 MPH wind. If the shingles have been on a Florida roof for 3 months or longer they should be sealed on tight. Warranty should get the respective builders on this ASAP.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
I read your information (thank you for the info) but I question why 8 homes built within the last 3-4 years lost parts of their roofing in one small neighborhood. The houses are supposed to withstand Cat 2 winds. So I am looking for a common denominator.
There has to be a reason and I sincerely hope you find out what it is.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
By any chance, are you in perdido Villas? That's where my house is.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:16 AM

I have about 600 pounds of shingles sitting in my driveway that came off ( half the roof is missing ). I don't see any evidence they were ever " stuck " to anything. They came off sometimes with a few nails, sometimes not. Again a small neighborhood in Pinellas with about 26 homes. The house was built 3-4 years ago but I am not the original owner. I think about 8 or 9 homes have roof damage of the 26 but none as extensive as ours.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Yes, I smell a fish. Very strange.
I sent you a private message.

Tags
thin, shingle, shingles, 6-7, plastic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.