Does this seem ethical?

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2021, 06:43 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,062 Times in 531 Posts

The realtor knew the place would sell fast and didn't want to be just the listing agent, she wanted to get the selling agent commission. That's why she held it to a pocket listing. Did your daughter ask why it wasn't advertised?
Old 09-17-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
My daughter recently sold two courtyard villas south of 44 that she had owned and rented for three years. She made a nice profit but the way the deals went down seemed a little “off” to me, and I am a former Realtor. She signed listing documents with a Villages sales rep on the first one, but it didn’t appear on the website within a week. Shortly thereafter the sales rep called and said he had a full-price cash offer and she accepted it. A couple weeks later she did the same thing with the second villa and the same scenario occurred. It seems like that happens regularly as when you go to the TV website and search for CYVs there are only a couple listed for sale and dozens listed as pending that never were shown as for sale. My understanding is the sales reps get a listing and circulate it internally to see if any agents have interested party or parties before putting it on the open market. Of course if any agent themselves would be interested I presume they could buy it. That seems a little like insider dealing to me. If I list my property it seems my interests are best served by getting it in front of the widest possible audience. My daughter felt she got adequate value for both units, but you can’t really know if the public never got a shot at it. Anybody feel that my question is justified?
Simple message, NEVER use TV realtors, you lose every time. Did you know if someone backs out of a deal TV has a clause that says they get half of the earnest money?
Old 09-17-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
More or less I would say the way they handled it was as a Pocket Listing.
In my opinion and experience, this usually happens with the approval and knowledge of the client.
I don't care for the Villages Real Estate Operation at all. Shady would be a kind word to use to describe the way they operate.

I overheard a conversation that I'm sure I wasn't supposed to hear. It was the more experienced person telling the newer younger guy that it's better to grind out the units, way more important to get the sale up on the board than to worry about selling it for a small amount more. I don't know for certain that they Were Villages Reps but assumed they were because they were in the Spanish Springs office when I heard the conversation. I don't know their names either and I'm not bending the truth or lying.

I went for our first house through an Independent Realtor. I thought they were snakes in New Jersey. These are professional snakes down here. Document and record everything and I don't care how many didn't, I would highly approve of a lawyer to cover your back. Our next closing had a Lawyer throughout the entire process.

Your age and experience set off an alarm because you are looking out for your daughter's best interest. You are just being an excellent Dad. Good Job eweissenbach.

Many big money powerful Villagers swear by the Villages Real Esate Operation. I'm not saying they are wrong, I'm just saying I don't see it like they do.
Good points but have to ask why stay there ? I realized too late and sold my place.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
She got her asking price and is happy. I don't think it matters that she could have possibly gotten a better deal had it been listed...
Time to move on as she probably has.

It matters to the surrounding home owners who would like their own property values to increase. I agree with OBB, get it on the open market and let the buyers dictate the “new” comp for the neighborhood.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
They are licensed real estate agents. "Realtor" and "Real Estate Agent" are related terms, but don't mean the same thing.
To clarify -
The term REALTOR® has one, and only one, meaning:

REALTOR® is a federally registered collective membership mark which identifies a real estate professional who is member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® and subscribes to its strict Code of Ethics.

The single most important rule governing the MARK is that it may only be used to convey this meaning, and never used to convey another meaning.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:00 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

tv sales agents are not realtors, only licensed sales agents per their name tagstherefore applicable no code of ethics exists ,,, we looked s of 44 last w/e- all4 were form- fille-r outers rather than sales agents,,, none tried to sell us... doubtful many truly understand client/agent relationships, imo

Last edited by stadry; 09-20-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Villages agents are NOT Realtors so of course are not held to their code of ethics.

Everything You Need to Know About the Realtor Code of Ethics
This reminds me of someone repeating Masonic laws or some code of an obscure religion.

It is one of the reasons I find a lot, not all, of MLS agents annoying at the least. I don't believe that realtors with a capital r are better than Village agents.

What I have always liked about Villages agents is that they don't "hound" you. They don't have to. People are lined up to buy the homes.

The argument that capital "r" agents have more "ethics" than those who work for The Villages is just very weak and I think it is based on jealousy.

One local Realtor must be very good. I haven't used her but have heard so many positive things about Karol Clark.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-17-2021 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:14 AM
Default Tv & mls

TV is not part of the MLS because they do not want to follow any rules.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:16 AM
Location: Citrus Grove from Village of Santo Domingo & Sterling Hts Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsport View Post
Simple message, NEVER use TV realtors, you lose every time. Did you know if someone backs out of a deal TV has a clause that says they get half of the earnest money?

Back in the day I sold real estate (up north) and if a buyer "backed out", by contract, would loose their deposit and the broker would be entitled to half of it. I didn't hear of any broker taking half of the deposit if the buyer agreed to relinquish it. If the buyer didn't agree the broker would be out, if the seller wanted to enforce the contract it would've been up to the seller to pay the costs. On top of that the house couldn't be sold until the matter was settled. Sellers were mad but moved on.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

We live in a wanna-be company town.

Company town - Wikipedia.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsport View Post
Brokers keeping half of the forfeited earnest money is a standard clause in most listing agreements that I have read.

Are you saying that there are MLS brokers in The Villages that don't have that clause in their listing contract?
Old 09-17-2021, 07:25 AM

Hmm, sounds like "sellers remorse" to me. Very common in a hot market.

When you sell, you establish a price you're willing to accept knowing there are fees and commissions. She got full asking price.

Works the same way in a soft market. You set a price knowing you're going to get offers less than asking. You'll always feel like you coulda, shoulda, got more.

It's only money. Life is short. Live it.
Veteran member
Default License

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Villages agents are NOT Realtors so of course are not held to their code of ethics.

Everything You Need to Know About the Realtor Code of Ethics
I believe that statement is wrong. My wife inquired about that thinking she might get a job and was told she would be required to get a FL Real Estate license.
On another note, many of the village realtors are leaving because there is very little inventory to sell and they can't make a living. Probably why they are trying to keep sales in house. Over 250 realtors and no inventory.

The Villages can do whatever they want they are licensed salespeople not licensed realtors their principal is the Villages not the seller or the buyer.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1031 View Post
To clarify -
The term REALTOR® has one, and only one, meaning:

REALTOR® is a federally registered collective membership mark which identifies a real estate professional who is member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® and subscribes to its strict Code of Ethics.

The single most important rule governing the MARK is that it may only be used to convey this meaning, and never used to convey another meaning.
Oh please.

Tags
sales, sale, listing, rep, website

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.