Does The Villages Lie to potential buyers?

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2020, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,516 Posts

My brother has been selling many things, very successfully, for over 50 year.
The mantra of a top top salesman.
Enhance the positive, never mention a negative, and never bad mouth the opposition.
Caveat Emptor.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Everyone lies and gives weasel answers at times.

For example: Doctors

Lies in the Doctor-Patient Relationship.

Is it ever OK for doctors to lie to their patients?

Patient: So Doc, how's it look?

Doctor (weasel answer) You could have many years of life to enjoy

Doctor (pure truth) You have severe cardiomyopathy and may drop dead any second.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:21 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

The esteemed Developer never lies and is always looking out for our best interests.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

It's called "puffing" in the law. Ask Judge Judy, she'll agree. It's done all the time. Car sellers say "used car has been driven by a little old lady no more than 10mph on Sundays only to go to church" or "these golf clubs are definitely going to let you stroke less" (or whatever the term is, I don't play golf), or this couch I am selling you "has barely ever been sat on."

puffing

n. the exaggeration of the good points of a product, a business, real property, and the prospects for future rise in value, profits and growth. Since a certain amount of "puffing" can be expected of any salesman, it cannot be the basis of a lawsuit for fraud or breach of contract unless the exaggeration exceeds the reality. However, if the puffery includes outright lies or has no basis in fact ("Sears Roebuck is building next door to your store site") a legal action for rescission of the contract or for fraud against the seller is possible.

Puffing legal definition of Puffing
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
It's called "puffing" in the law. Ask Judge Judy, she'll agree. It's done all the time. Car sellers say "used car has been driven by a little old lady no more than 10mph on Sundays only to go to church" or "these golf clubs are definitely going to let you stroke less" (or whatever the term is, I don't play golf), or this couch I am selling you "has barely ever been sat on."

puffing

n. the exaggeration of the good points of a product, a business, real property, and the prospects for future rise in value, profits and growth. Since a certain amount of "puffing" can be expected of any salesman, it cannot be the basis of a lawsuit for fraud or breach of contract unless the exaggeration exceeds the reality. However, if the puffery includes outright lies or has no basis in fact ("Sears Roebuck is building next door to your store site") a legal action for rescission of the contract or for fraud against the seller is possible.

Puffing legal definition of Puffing
Puffing and spinning seem to have a lot in common.

In any most salesman make their money by selling so remember how they are motivated.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

It's like all the ads you see on the internet, television and the ones you hear on the radio, CBD oil, the miracle drug that cures everything from PMS to brain cancer and diseases we don't know about yet.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

OP must really think once you retire you have become unable to use google and search for answers before you make any major purchase
Old 08-10-2020, 03:43 PM
Default Sounds EXACTLY like any politician !

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
In another thread a person suggested they were lied to about whether people under 55 could reside. That got me looking at the FAQ on Developer's website

FAQ | The Villages

While they don't exactly lie, they certainly get right up to the edge of lying. It makes me wonder why they bothered to post a FAQ if they didn't want to give a truly honest answer. The only possible reason is to mislead with a misleading answer. You think you've learned something about TV, but you've not had your question answered the way I believe it should be answered. Maybe I'm wrong about that...

Examples:
Does TV have their own Police Department? We all know the honest answer is NO. Is that the answer the FAQ gives? It is not. It gives a weasel answer that strongly suggests that the answer is yes..

The average person would very likely believe the word LOCAL means TV has a local force.

Is The Villages a city or a town?

The honest answer is NO. There is no citizen elected government in control. For good or for bad we are residents of a privately held corporation that sets the rules.

Again true, but they did not answer the question they posed. Misleading. We could well be a 55+ community in a city or in a town.

Even a simple question which is easily fact checked

How far is TV from Orlando?

Perhaps from the closest tip of Orlando to the closest part of TV it is 45 miles, but that is certainly misleading.

From Brownwood to MCO is 60 miles, to the Premium Outlet which you see from the Turnpike exit is 51 miles.

From Lake Sumter Landing add 6 miles, from Fenney Grill it is 49 miles to the Outlet.

I don't know why TV chose 45 miles as the distance from TV to Orlando for the FAQ, but it is a less than honest answer. If you just use Google and enter distance from The Villages to Orlando it gives 61.3 miles. That would have been an honest answer, or even round down to 60.

Weasel answers do not make The Villages look honest and trustworthy in their approach to potential buyers. How about giving a forthright answer rather than one which is as close to a lie as you can get without crossing the line?
So interesting to read your post ! A real eye opener. Almost none of the questions are actually answered. Does the Villages have a police department people ask ? What kind of answer is "the Villages are protected by local police" ? Why not say "NO, the Villages has no police department, no mayor, no city councilmen, etc. EXPLAIN to people ! Why go to all the trouble to "appear" to answer something while NOT answering. Yes, it is just another example dis honestly that seems to go on everywhere, at the bank, the real estate office, the insurance company.... if you read the Q&A's of these others, you quickly see it's not just the development company that owns the Villages, it's everywhere !
Old 08-10-2020, 03:45 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,333 Times in 1,444 Posts

They have two homes listed for sale with a water and golf course view, the golf course is the putt putt course and the water view is the water that runs around it. Not a lie but a little bit not what you would expect to see with a golf course view.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Also about sinkholes, no agent mentioned it. It did not occur for me to ask because my parents who had a home here for decades and my uncle who lived and died in TV never mentioned them. But when I looked at a foreclosure sale the document said the house is in a sinkhole hazard area. From that point on I always asked about sinkholes. The answer was invariably; “What sinkholes? I don’t know of any.” From that point on I knew exactly how much to trust my agents.
All of Central West Florida is in a sinkhole Hazard area. The most are over by Tampa. Type in the words. "Map of sinkholes in Florida".
Old 08-10-2020, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

no realtor is ever going to introduce anything negative that could impact the sale....if you ask a direct question they will not lie (assuming they have integrity and are professional). You need to ask explicit questions, not an implicit indirect questions....if you ask an indirect question, it increases the chances that they'll wiggle around and spin a negative into a positive.

I've done 7 real estate deals, my father-in-law owned a Toyota dealership, so pretty familiar with both scenarios... dealing with a real estate salesperson isn't that much different than dealing with a car salesperson

you need to be on your toes, do you homework, know what you're looking for, be willing to walk away and know what you are willing to pay. Remember they go to a lot of classes to learn how to sell....chances are you've never had any formal training on how to buy

IMHO, shopping at the end of the month gives you an advantage...walking away gives you an advantage...knowing what you are looking for gives you an advantage.....don't believe everything that you hear...you're often listening for what you want to hear and aren't asking the right clarifying questions
Old 08-10-2020, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
My brother has been selling many things, very successfully, for over 50 year.
The mantra of a top top salesman.
Enhance the positive, never mention a negative, and never bad mouth the opposition.
Caveat Emptor.
"Remember Billy,
its not a lie if you believe it."

from what movie?
Old 08-10-2020, 05:02 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts

"Build out is in 2 years. You better buy now."
How many thousands fell for that BS?
Old 08-10-2020, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts
Default Sorry, what show?

“It's not a lie... if you believe it.”
— George Costanza, Seinfeld, Season 6: The Beard
ANNOTATION
George tells Jerry how to beat a polygraph test.

Having worked with sales reps, many practice the "lies" over and over again until the facial tics which identify a lie disappear. . .

its also called marketing, as every product and every company is a market leader in something. . .

sportsguy
Old 08-10-2020, 05:17 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Perhaps you could write what you believe to be the proper/correct answers and provide them to Administration for their publishing/website updating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
In another thread a person suggested they were lied to about whether people under 55 could reside. That got me looking at the FAQ on Developer's website

FAQ | The Villages

While they don't exactly lie, they certainly get right up to the edge of lying. It makes me wonder why they bothered to post a FAQ if they didn't want to give a truly honest answer. The only possible reason is to mislead with a misleading answer. You think you've learned something about TV, but you've not had your question answered the way I believe it should be answered. Maybe I'm wrong about that...

Examples:
Does TV have their own Police Department? We all know the honest answer is NO. Is that the answer the FAQ gives? It is not. It gives a weasel answer that strongly suggests that the answer is yes..

The average person would very likely believe the word LOCAL means TV has a local force.

Is The Villages a city or a town?

The honest answer is NO. There is no citizen elected government in control. For good or for bad we are residents of a privately held corporation that sets the rules.

Again true, but they did not answer the question they posed. Misleading. We could well be a 55+ community in a city or in a town.

Even a simple question which is easily fact checked

How far is TV from Orlando?

Perhaps from the closest tip of Orlando to the closest part of TV it is 45 miles, but that is certainly misleading.

From Brownwood to MCO is 60 miles, to the Premium Outlet which you see from the Turnpike exit is 51 miles.

From Lake Sumter Landing add 6 miles, from Fenney Grill it is 49 miles to the Outlet.

I don't know why TV chose 45 miles as the distance from TV to Orlando for the FAQ, but it is a less than honest answer. If you just use Google and enter distance from The Villages to Orlando it gives 61.3 miles. That would have been an honest answer, or even round down to 60.

Weasel answers do not make The Villages look honest and trustworthy in their approach to potential buyers. How about giving a forthright answer rather than one which is as close to a lie as you can get without crossing the line?

Closed Thread

Tags
answer, miles, villages, honest, orlando

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.