Dog dies in Alligator attack.

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2022, 02:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts
Default Dog dies in Alligator attack.

So.
A 'visitor' takes dogs, unleashed, for a walk around the pond located across from the postal station on Canal Street in the Village of Bonita.
Alligator does what hungry alligators do when they see a lunch, and takes and kills one of the dogs.
Trapper called to kill Alligator!
Why?
If someone is dumb enough to take dogs to a pond area, and let them off leash to wander, why has poor alligator got to die.
Surely owner should be charged with allowing dogs off leash, and cruelty to animals?
My entire sympathy is with alligator, and poor dog who died!
Old 05-12-2022, 03:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
So.
A 'visitor' takes dogs, unleashed, for a walk around the pond located across from the postal station on Canal Street in the Village of Bonita.
Alligator does what hungry alligators do when they see a lunch, and takes and kills one of the dogs.
Why?
If someone is dumb enough to take dogs to a pond area, and let them off leash to wander, why has poor alligator got to die.
Surely owner should be charged with allowing dogs off leash, and cruelty to animals?
Take responsibility for one own actions? what a novel concept, all my problems concerns are the fault of ,start with, caused by , some one ,some thing, some group, victimizing , abusing, failure to respect me , mine , sabotaging my intentions, its quite clear
Old 05-12-2022, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Fishermen are essentially feeding the Alligators South of 44. The gators watch and attack when they pull a catch up the bank...

The idiots don't have enough sense to move on when seeing the gators. Some seem to be even be making sport out of it.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

I have no problem with the idea of either moving the gator or killing it. As far as I know, they are not our friends and other than food, baggage and footwear, the only service they seem to provide is moat security. Actually, they might also be good for removing some of the lower intelligence level folks that seem to think it's great to get close to the gator and take photos of them.
Dogs are supposed to be on leash but that does not mean they deserve such a horrible ending to their lives. They provide a lot better companionship than a reptile. But, it seems that many dog owners do not have a clue as to the responsibility of pet ownership.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:45 AM

Visitor didn't understand the danger. Sadly, it cost him his dog, Alligators are a nuisance to people and neighborhoods. No such thing as a "poor alligator". They all can go away so we can enjoy the area we live in.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
So.
Why?
Maybe a sign or 2 not to walk dogs near the water. A newcomer or visitor might not know the danger. Most people here have never even seen a gator apart from a zoo.
On the other hand The Villages should have a full time alligator control crew.
Catch and release a certain percentage into the everglades and a certain percentage to market.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

Did they actually kill the alligator, for being an alligator? Alligators are not domestic animals...
Old 05-12-2022, 07:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,191 Times in 761 Posts

If the dog attacked the gator, would you put the dog down ?
Old 05-12-2022, 07:18 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

It is a shame the poor dog paid the price due to the ignorance of its owner. But...whoever was hosting this visitor should have warned him/her of the danger of letting dogs run free near any body of water. Alligators do two things, and two things only: eat, and make baby alligators.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:30 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
So. Why?
U kno y.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapX View Post
Visitor didn't understand the danger. Sadly, it cost him his dog, Alligators are a nuisance to people and neighborhoods. No such thing as a "poor alligator". They all can go away so we can enjoy the area we live in.
They probably feel the same way and wish we would go away so they can enjoy the area they lived in long before we got here.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-12-2022, 07:34 AM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts
Default Adopt-a-Gator

I volunteer to adopt the gator after they catch him. I could really use him to eliminate more than a few neighborhood nuisance dogs that constantly bark and yip. Maybe a few neighbors too!

Leave the gator alone. Alligator lives matter. Yankees go home!
Old 05-12-2022, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
Take responsibility for one own actions? what a novel concept, all my problems concerns are the fault of ,start with, caused by , some one ,some thing, some group, victimizing , abusing, failure to respect me , mine , sabotaging my intentions, its quite clear
Yep, who guess I have pay my basket weaving loan off. O wait
Old 05-12-2022, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I volunteer to adopt the gator after they catch him. I could really use him to eliminate more than a few neighborhood nuisance dogs that constantly bark and yip. Maybe a few neighbors too!

Leave the gator alone. Alligator lives matter. Yankees go home!

You know some gators eat there own……..ers…
Old 05-12-2022, 07:53 AM

Will someone who was actually there when the alligator was caught tell me how big it was? There was a time when Florida considered any alligator over 6 feet to be a possible threat to humans.
Closed Thread

Tags
alligator, dogs, dog, leash, poor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.