dog issues?

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
Walk your dog in your own yard untill it does it's business. Then walk on the streets for exercise.

I understand the so called groughy man. I have a corner lot and it's amazing how many dog owners treat it like a public dog toilet. We don't suffer from green spots but brown/yellow. One pee spot attracts the next and then the next you see what I mean. I truely love dogs I have had a dog in my house since a young boy...It's the dog owners that are so difficult to train.

Ive always said bark collars should be fitted to the owner not the dog LOL.
I absolutely agree. Just imagine if the "grouchy old man" went out to cut his lawn today and found himself stepping in doggy doo. I step in it every time I cut my lawn. It never fails. And yes the spots from the urine are also a pain. I am sure "grouchy old man" is upset from past experiences, not just from you.

Just realize that dog lovers love their dogs. Many non owners think they are a trouble.

I was at the AAC meeting two weeks ago and many people wanted to put recycle trash cans at the postal stations to recycle the junk mail. It was brought up that this was not feasible since dog doo would make it way into these containers just as it was making its way into the regular trash cans at the postal stations.

I think that eventually letting your dog crap on someone else's yard (even if you bag it ) will go the way of letting others smoke around you.

jeffy
Old 02-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Does this mean every time your dog has the urge, you are going to pack him off the dog park?
That's exactly what crossed my mind.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM

I think its great you carry your baggy around and pick up your dog's poop. However, I do sympathize with the property owner here. We have people walking their dogs on our street, and they think nothing of letting their dogs pee and poop on our lawn. I mean, c'mon! Even if they pick up the poop, from my point of view its kind of disgusting having that on our lawn. And the pee burns the grass eventually. I'm not a dog owner, so maybe I'm biased. But I just think dog owners should let the dogs go in the road, or some public place, not in front of someone's house.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Gold member

Just to add my 2 cents......the Springdale Dog Park is terrific.....lots of happy dogs, well cared for space, and for the most part lovely people.
South of 466 dog owners definitely need and deserve a park of there own.
We also have a dog poop trash can that is emptied twice weekly.
My gripe......folks who walk their dogs at the mail station and deposit the poop in the trash cans......disgustingly smelly on a hot Florida day. That's just rude...
Old 02-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady View Post
Just to add my 2 cents......the Springdale Dog Park is terrific.....lots of happy dogs, well cared for space, and for the most part lovely people.
South of 466 dog owners definitely need and deserve a park of there own.
We also have a dog poop trash can that is emptied twice weekly.
My gripe......folks who walk their dogs at the mail station and deposit the poop in the trash cans......disgustingly smelly on a hot Florida day. That's just rude...
Forgot to include the urine smell.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

..And the dead plants and grass at the postal stations...........
Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarFred View Post
I was walking my terrier, Gus, today on Bailey Trail. He stopped to sniff at a telephone pole, and the guy who owns the house abutting the street opened his lanai door and yelled at me, "Would you move the dog along?" And then slammed his door shut before I could respond. The dog was just sniffing, maybe was going to mark the pole, but he wasn't doing anything else if you know what I mean. And I had bags to pick anything up, which were in my hand. So I guess my question is what am I supposed to do, does the guy's property go all the way to the sidewalk? Are we supposed to curb the dogs?

That fellow's going to have a heart attack if he's that uptight about a dog on the edge of the sidewalk and the lawn. Gus wasn't even fully on the lawn... and I suspect he was so interested in that place because many many other dogs have been too. Maybe he'll be like the troll under the bridge when people with dogs go by!

Then I was walking home after going to the mailbox, where I deposited one of Gus's well wrapped and knotted used bags. I ran into two neighbors and told them about the man in the lanai, and one of them said "did he see your bags? and where are they?" I told her I put the one in the trashcan at the pool. She said I can't do that. Is this a rule?

I think I'll stay inside now for the rest of the day, even though it's beautiful out. Not a great walk.
When your dog does his duty in a certain spot,he and all other dogs will continue to use that same spot and ruin his property(grass).
I am a dog lover,but my question to you would be,why not let your dog do his business on your own lawn, and then take him for a walk.I have a neighbor who does exactly that,and I think that is great
Old 02-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Let me climb on my dog park soapbox. We absolutely need a dog park south of 466! I understand that the new Springdale Dog Park in the north/east corner of TV is extremely busy.

Two dogs are allowed per household. That can be a heck of a lot of dogs in each Village. If facilities aren't provided for walking the dogs, difficult situations are bound to occur.
Responsible dog owners is a group that got the ball rolling on the dog park in springdale.The group that is now working on getting dog parks south of 466 is responsible dog owners 2.We meet the third wednesday of the month @ Lake Miona rec center @ 7 p.m All are welcome and encouraged to attend these meetings .
Old 02-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

not sure i want to jump in on this but using the theory put forward here every dog owner must have brown grass in their yard, that is not my case....gn
Old 02-23-2010, 04:07 AM
Banned
Default They Just don't get it.

Last year for the third time, I sat on the curb scraping down the lower two feet or so of my mail box pole to remove the rust and scale for painting back to black. And yes, I did it at the one of two times a day that a close neighbor comes by with his great dane. As if in a movie script, he comes by like clockwork and even stops to talk for a minute. I waited in hopes he would ask what I was doing, but since he did not ask, I slipped it into the conversation just what I was doing and added that I wish I could find out who's dog was using my mail box and yard as a toilet. I then said I can't do anything about the yellow dead grass, but I can revive my mail box post once in a while. Now that has been about five months ago and still to this day, he has to lean sideways going by my house in order to hold his dog in the middle of the street. The dog is like a horse and pulls on him hard trying to get to my mail box. Like I said, they just don't get it. Since he don't care if I have yellow spots on my grass or my mail box post turns to rust, why should I care. This did in fact work for me. I feel if I would have confronted him more direct, I would have been the jerk at least in his opinion.

I have read the argument that the county owns the first 8 feet of the property. Maybe so, and I would guess that most dogs in The Villages are small dogs; however, common sense should tell anyone above the age of reasoning that using the area in front of a neighbors home as a dog toilet is not the right thing to do.

Lou
Old 02-23-2010, 07:14 AM

Allow fences and solve the problem
Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUC View Post
Maybe allow a little sign that says in the friendliest way WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? . Sold at town squares. I told my wife we missed an opportunity this holiday season when we could have integrated a message into the scene

I hate to just say the same as others but I truly find in amazing that folks see no issue with their dogs in others yards, doing their business. I am also uncomfortable telling folks to knock it off, as they are neighbors and I have not figured out a way to suggest this without being perceived as a jerk.

I am a dog owner, love my dog, love other dogs, but would be very embarrassed if she veered off and quickly squatted while on a walk. In my area dogs are walked like kites with 15 - 30 feet of line, peeing, barking, etc.

None of this is the dogs fault, IMO there is a high percentage of dog owners that should own fish.....
Old 02-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I don't think you would solve the problem. People like to walk their dogs so even with fenced yards the dogs would still be out there. I live in a CYV and even though we have fenced in courtyards a lot of the dog owners take their dogs out for walks.

Or maybe you mean build a fence right up to the curb so no dog can come into your yard?

If you allowed fences you would have a checker board of fenced/not fenced yards. And if people start to leave the dogs in the yards you would have a new problem, barking dogs.

I lived in a rental north of 466 for a while. We took the dog for a walk and let him do his business in what we thought was a common area. The second or third time we did this the owner came out and asked us not to let our dog on his property. He was nice about it and said most people thought it was a common area but in fact it was his and he maintained it. I started to pay attention to that corner and felt bad for the guy, he had a problem that will probably never go away.

Unfortunately it's difficult to tell a dog exactly where to do their business. Even when you think they're done they seem to be able to mark some more.

This is not a problem that is unique to TV. Maybe if dog owners were a little more respectful of others property and the property owner were a little more tolerant we could end this thread and move on to something more exiting, like how do I get the birds to stop flying over (and pooping on) my house?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Smile

FYI - You could buy a disposal container that gets burried in your yard. You put wastes into it and enzymes that are provided will decompose the wastes. These units come in various sizes, and are very discreet, with a lid which is flush with the ground. No odors, no unsightly mess.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.