Dog poop

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
So what should be done about these loose dogs?

Apparently you have never been to Sanibel if you think this is an undeveloped area. Don't know what is meant by "I think I believe you"

The dogs owners home is directly behind the corn toss boards at the Captivia Rec. Center, the second house from the corner of Charlotte Street. Go out and me them yourself instead of just posting. Dogs are canine animals not kids.

Of course no doubt they thought we were in the wrong for walking on the sidewalk thru the picnic tables and shuffelboard courts...I will carry appropriate protection going forward.
I can't say as I blame you! I live very near there and woud not want to encounter what you have had to deal with!
And, I agree, that Sanibel is not exactly the Wild West!!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Some of you may take this lightly but people are finding dog poop on the golf courses, around postal stations , etc. There are a number of dogs roaming free. If it is not dealt with immediately and swiftly it is only going to get worse. Dog owners please keep it at home

We need dog ambassadors. Perhaps they can be an offshoot of community watch?
Two incidents of dogs running unleashed around their home is hardly an epidemic that "if not dealt with immediately and swiftly is going to get worse." Call the sheriff and report them. You know at least where one of the owners live.

But the statement of a number of dogs roaming free is an exaggeration. There is no dog epidemic of any sort in TV. We have more bad golf cart drivers than we have bad dog owners.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Sage

[quote=skyc6;655080]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
I was very sincere in my post. I live near there, and the thought of 2 large dogs, unleashed, coming at me growling is very awful, don't you think?
I think it is completely unacceptable to allow dogs to be off leash in a public place. I don't blame you for being upset. I feel sorry for these dogs, having such rude and inconsiderate owners. I don't understand the anti-social behavior of people who allow dogs to run loose, or throw cigarette butts on the golf course, or "save" front row seats at the town square and then never show up. But luckily, 99% of Villagers are wonderful, considerate people.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Veteran member
Default 2 For Just Last Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Two incidents of dogs running unleashed around their home is hardly an epidemic that "if not dealt with immediately and swiftly is going to get worse." Call the sheriff and report them. You know at least where one of the owners live.

But the statement of a number of dogs roaming free is an exaggeration. There is no dog epidemic of any sort in TV. We have more bad golf cart drivers than we have bad dog owners.
These 2 were just for this last week, there have been more on a regular basis. Dog near us is let out daily to run out to a public area in front of his home to relieve himself. Wanders around free all the time.

Reporting anything to the sheriff's office won't do anything, might as well just stick our heads in the sand and that will fix it.

Know these people are in the very small minority and most won't do such things but there is no way to identify the ones that will and those that won't.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Veteran member

[quote=Barefoot;655090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyc6 View Post

I think it is completely unacceptable to allow dogs to be off leash in a public place. I don't blame you for being upset. I feel sorry for these dogs, having such rude and inconsiderate owners. I don't understand the anti-social behavior of people who allow dogs to run loose, or throw cigarette butts on the golf course, or "save" front row seats at the town square and then never show up. But luckily, 99% of Villagers are wonderful, considerate people.
Yes, I agree that they are! I love The Villages and I love the many people I have met. We are very blessed to have this experience.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Why do I not ever see any of this awful stuff?

Today my large furry friend Mozart somehow talked his owner into taking him for a ride in their golf cart and stopping to see me. Mozart gave me his paw like a gentleman and didn't offer to kiss me. We are close friends but he has excellent manners. He did not get down from the passenger seat.

I saw Lucy walking by with her human and saw some other furry neighbors running by with their human on a recumbent bike. Prince went to the maildrop, but his human always has a bag, and Gracie is in Virginia right now.

That is my report from our Village for Today.

I don't have a pup of my own.

I don't see bad things with dogs.

I am very happy with how things are.

That picture I posted was not me in Rose Colored glasses. My age spots are in entirely different places.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
These 2 were just for this last week, there have been more on a regular basis. Dog near us is let out daily to run out to a public area in front of his home to relieve himself. Wanders around free all the time.

Reporting anything to the sheriff's office won't do anything, might as well just stick our heads in the sand and that will fix it.

Know these people are in the very small minority and most won't do such things but there is no way to identify the ones that will and those that won't.
Is there a leash law in your county? You know where this dog lives. If he's truly wandering around free all day, report the owners! Head in the sand will not fix it.

I go back to my original observation. I've never seen dogs roaming free in TV, especially unattended. These have to be isolated, neighborhood incidents, in which case somebody knows where these dogs live and can report the owners.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Veteran member
Default Just Saying It Happens

Sheriff won't do anything unless they see it, any other suggestions? Nothing is likely to change.

Just saying dogs running loose does happen and it happens a lot more often than most here in La La Land will ever admit.

I'm done.......
Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=graciegirl;655111]Why do I not ever see any of this awful stuff?

Today my large furry friend Mozart somehow talked his owner into taking him for a ride in their golf cart and stopping to see me. Mozart gave me his paw like a gentleman and didn't offer to kiss me. We are close friends but he has excellent manners. He did not get down from the passenger seat.

I saw Lucy walking by with her human and saw some other furry neighbors running by with their human on a recumbent bike. Prince went to the maildrop, but his human always has a bag, and Gracie is in Virginia right now.

That is my report from our Village for Today.

I don't have a pup of my own.

I don't see bad things with dogs.

I am very happy with how things are.

That picture I posted was not me in Rose Colored glasses. My age spots are in entirely different places
Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Veteran member

I am amazed at how many people allow their dogs to walk at the mailboxes, and your right from what I see most pick up their dogs duty. But do you people realize the health risk's associated with a dogs waste. Even when feces is picked up traces are left behind, this is one way dogs and people contract Hookworm, roundworm and other parasites, would you walk shoeless in the grass in these area's? Then Fido jumps in the car or cart rides home and walk's in your homes. Love your pet and yourself but get smart.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Just a thought: I've said this to friends and strangers---there is something for everybody in TV! BUT.....all this time I've been wrong. No dog free village. Just a thought----if a particular Village was designated as "dog free" (0wners/guests not allowed dogs) ----how fast would the homes sell?? Yep, then there would be something for everyone!
I've thought of that myself. There are 7 houses around our culdesac and only 2 of the 7 homes have pets. So there is a need for pet free villages.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Default dog poop

It is a slow evening here at my house so i was reading the post about dog poop
To my friend jack, jack is almost 17now so i believe he has a lot of wisdom as people say that comes with age. Jack ask me if I could make a post in his behalf he doesn't want
To start a riot or hurt anyone but bear with him a bit. First of all jack does not like to ride in a car, go to the squares, not a fan of flea markets, (fleas are not very freindy they are
Looking for a ride and food), not a fan of any stores,, he hates to walk, and dog Parks are
for people to get together to gab. He used to like a golf cart ride, but he gave that up
He felt he didn't have a good seat and it was a little to fast. Now everyone will think jack
Is a stuck in the mud, but he really enjoyes when the Ms of the house get out her 3 wheel
bike with the large basket on the back puts in that large blanket and off they go ( that's high cotton) as for poop well he has it made there he has a fellow who has a shovel an
rake to take care of the area and nobody complains because everything it in his own yard.
When my friend leave the house I get a milk bone, I have the radio on and I have three
Very nice beds in three different room. So when by friends get ready to leave they ask
Me do you want to go my answer are you nuts, brother I got it made here two
squares a day, three beds, heat, air, and most all nobody to step or trip over me, and
No rope around my neck. So people the next time you go out that door just ask your
Best friend "you want to go" and if he could talk he or she would say I will be fine see you on the flip side.
No rope to hold me.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Sage

Several times as I have been entering or leaving Mulberry and Laurel Manor sport pools, I have seen people drive up on their golf cart with the dog, park the cart, and take the dog on the leash to dump a load on the lawn in front of the Laurel pool or on the lawn by the shuffleboard courts at Mulberry.

When I stared in disbelief (that people would drive their dog to a rec center lawn to dump on), they glared at ME like "what's your problem???"

My "problem" is: Why don't they have the dog dump on THEIR lawn, at home? Rec center and postal center lawns are not public manure yards!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannynance View Post
It is a slow evening here at my house so i was reading the post about dog poop
To my friend jack, jack is almost 17now so i believe he has a lot of wisdom as people say that comes with age. Jack ask me if I could make a post in his behalf he doesn't want
To start a riot or hurt anyone but bear with him a bit. First of all jack does not like to ride in a car, go to the squares, not a fan of flea markets, (fleas are not very freindy they are
Looking for a ride and food), not a fan of any stores,, he hates to walk, and dog Parks are
for people to get together to gab. He used to like a golf cart ride, but he gave that up
He felt he didn't have a good seat and it was a little to fast. Now everyone will think jack
Is a stuck in the mud, but he really enjoyes when the Ms of the house get out her 3 wheel
bike with the large basket on the back puts in that large blanket and off they go ( that's high cotton) as for poop well he has it made there he has a fellow who has a shovel an
rake to take care of the area and nobody complains because everything it in his own yard.
When my friend leave the house I get a milk bone, I have the radio on and I have three
Very nice beds in three different room. So when by friends get ready to leave they ask
Me do you want to go my answer are you nuts, brother I got it made here two
squares a day, three beds, heat, air, and most all nobody to step or trip over me, and
No rope around my neck. So people the next time you go out that door just ask your
Best friend "you want to go" and if he could talk he or she would say I will be fine see you on the flip side.
No rope to hold me.
I appreciate your feelings, Jack. You are 17, and when our Bear was 13, he was very content to stay at home if we went out. Now Crosby is just five, and his attitude is completely different. He's got this sixth sense and knows when we're heading for the door, and he beats us to it, rarin' to go.

Early in his life we learned not to let a dog develop separation anxiety, and the way you do that is to just walk out the door without stageing "The Big Good-bye." So therefore, Crosby endures our absences without panic. but that doesn't mean he likes them. We don't take him to the squares because we don't go there very much. We don't take him to restaurants much because he is 85 lbs, although the times we have done that, he has behaved perfectly. He was not happy riding in a friend's golf cart, so we don't do that. But we take him wherever we can, and he enjoys bring out an about. PetSmart and Petco are two of his faves.

So you, Jack, and Crosby are two different dogs with two different attitudes about going out with your owners. Just like all of us in TV are different. How you feel is right for you and your owner, Jack, and how Crosby feels is right for him and us.

The day will come when Croz will be too tired to go out with us. Until then, we accommodate him whenever it will be safest and most convenient for him to be with us. If he could at all be in jeopardy, we leave him at home.

Good heath and many more years to you, Jack. The person you own sounds great!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg View Post
I am amazed at how many people allow their dogs to walk at the mailboxes, and your right from what I see most pick up their dogs duty. But do you people realize the health risk's associated with a dogs waste. Even when feces is picked up traces are left behind, this is one way dogs and people contract Hookworm, roundworm and other parasites, would you walk shoeless in the grass in these area's? Then Fido jumps in the car or cart rides home and walk's in your homes. Love your pet and yourself but get smart.
Can't imagine a dog living in TV that isn't on some kind of heartworm prevention meds. It's essential year-round in FL. Most vets won't treat your pets if they're not vaccinated, unless it's an emergency.

The good meds protect against the worms you are referring to as well as heartworms. Your chances of picking some kind of worms up at the mailbox are slim to none, I would bet. But I still say the most responsible thing is to have your dog do its business in your own yard.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.