DOG WALKERS The Courts are NOT A DOG PARK

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2019, 06:15 AM
Default DOG WALKERS The Courts are NOT A DOG PARK

Please all dog owners, you have a number of dog parks or golf cart trails to walk your dogs The Tennis and Pickleball Courts are NOT for your use. Again on Sunday at Bacall I had to ask an owner to leave the courts. It does not say you cannot walk your dogs in the court was the first reply. You have plenty of Dog Parks we said, dont want to use them was the reply.. Well the courts are not a dog toilet. We should not have to remove poop from the courts before we play. Nor should we have to wonder what the balls are landing in before we pick them up ti use them.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:54 AM
Veteran member

its called Village entitlement!
Old 10-07-2019, 06:55 AM

I am a dog owner, and my first thought is I agree with you. I am not aware of the Courts layout, we have only been here 4 weeks and haven't made it there yet. My feeling is that there are limited restrictions on walking our dogs, but, there are some, and then there is also common courtesy.

If the dogs were on leash and walked around the outside of the Court in a "common" area, that is one thing, but if the dog was being walked in an area that the ball could reasonably be expected to land/roll, then I have to agree with you that it would be common courtesy to walk someplace else.

Aren't the pickle ball courts fenced? Was the dog inside the fence? If so, I would put in a suggestion that the rules be changed to exclude dogs and pets from the fenced area.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:58 AM
Sage

Loss of common sense and NOT entitlement. When did it become a "thing" to think our pets/animals could accompany us everywhere we go??
Old 10-07-2019, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I am a dog owner, and my first thought is I agree with you. I am not aware of the Courts layout, we have only been here 4 weeks and haven't made it there yet. My feeling is that there are limited restrictions on walking our dogs, but, there are some, and then there is also common courtesy.

If the dogs were on leash and walked around the outside of the Court in a "common" area, that is one thing, but if the dog was being walked in an area that the ball could reasonably be expected to land/roll, then I have to agree with you that it would be common courtesy to walk someplace else.

Aren't the pickle ball courts fenced? Was the dog inside the fence? If so, I would put in a suggestion that the rules be changed to exclude dogs and pets from the fenced area.
Your reasonable attitude is applauded! HOWEVER!
You will learn that dog owners in your neighborhood will feel entitled to walk there dog on other peoples property to do there business.
This is a hot subject in this forum and i am a animal lover but do not want your dog on my property Period.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

When addressing an issue such as this I suggest a more accurate dialogue.
Some posts, including the OP address the subject preceded by the all inclusive categorization of "...all dog owners...".

Which is incorrect. There is a small percentage of dog owners who fit the issue being addressed. And that small percentage include the entitled.

It is typical, unfortunately, to address a subject with the broad, across the board, general over view.

The 95%++ of us dog owners who are and continue to be responsible, rule/law abiding pet owners request the subject be addressed more accurately by making a slight change to the subject........"...some dog owners...".

Old 10-07-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
Your reasonable attitude is applauded! HOWEVER!
You will learn that dog owners in your neighborhood will feel entitled to walk there dog on other peoples property to do there business.
This is a hot subject in this forum and i am a animal lover but do not want your dog on my property Period.
I understand your not wanting our dogs on your property. And I can not speak to "all dog owners", but I can assure you that if you see us walking our dogs on your property, a simple comment that you would appreciate us not walking there would be sufficient and we would avoid your property in the future.

In our neighborhood the covenant is pretty clear (could be better) in stating that if our dog poops on your property we are supposed to (expected to) pick it up. This to me is a pretty clear indication that the rules intend to allow us to walk our dogs at least along the edge of your property at the road.

That said, I also believe it is not unreasonable for you to not want that to happen, and as I said, a simple "please keep your dog off my property" would suffice to get us to stop trespassing.

Sadly, many people are not as interested in peaceful co-existence... This whole "having neighbors" thing is new to us, coming from 11 acres where the closest neighbor being over 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. We are trying to learn, but I do think some give and take on both sides can make things better.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:35 AM
Gold member

Oh Boy, a poop thread!!

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 10-07-2019, 07:47 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default It is in fact not only against...

Quote:
I understand your not wanting our dogs on your property. And I can not speak to "all dog owners", but I can assure you that if you see us walking our dogs on your property, a simple comment that you would appreciate us not walking there would be sufficient and we would avoid your property in the future.

In our neighborhood the covenant is pretty clear (could be better) in stating that if our dog poops on your property we are supposed to (expected to) pick it up. This to me is a pretty clear indication that the rules intend to allow us to walk our dogs at least along the edge of your property at the road.

That said, I also believe it is not unreasonable for you to not want that to happen, and as I said, a simple "please keep your dog off my property" would suffice to get us to stop trespassing.

Sadly, many people are not as interested in peaceful co-existence... This whole "having neighbors" thing is new to us, coming from 11 acres where the closest neighbor being over 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. We are trying to learn, but I do think some give and take on both sides can make things better.
all Village restrictions, but also county and state restrictions that you a)do not let your dog go on private property for any reason b)the leash be no more than 6 feet long(look it up...I did).

If you're taking your dog for a "walk" then that is it's exercise and not to be combined with relieving itself unless it's on common property or a dog park. And no matter where your dog poops it is illegal to leave it no matter where that is. I don't want dog/pet urine on my lawn. That too is illegal...look it up.

You can be fined...it isn't as cheap as picking it up.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
When addressing an issue such as this I suggest a more accurate dialogue.
Some posts, including the OP address the subject preceded by the all inclusive categorization of "...all dog owners...".

Which is incorrect. There is a small percentage of dog owners who fit the issue being addressed. And that small percentage include the entitled.

It is typical, unfortunately, to address a subject with the broad, across the board, general over view.

The 95%++ of us dog owners who are and continue to be responsible, rule/law abiding pet owners request the subject be addressed more accurately by making a slight change to the subject........"...some dog owners...".

I am a dog owner (2 large dogs) and I did not take the original post as accusing all dog owners of this, but as a comment directed to all dog owners. The use of CAPITALS in the title gave me a sense of the OP's frustration over what appears from their description to be an unreasonable dog owner (we haven't heard the other side yet - so, we don't know anything for sure).

It is certainly easy for tempers to flare when irritations occur over and over and communications don't seem to make progress.

I completely agree with you that the majority of dog owners are responsible and want to "get along" with their neighbors.

I will go the other way also, and say that the majority (98.324%) of residents that do not own dogs are easy to get along with and don't mind dogs walking on their grass, or park, or wherever.

And then there are the reasonable people that just don't want the animals on their property. Guess what everyone, it's THEIR property. There is nothing unreasonable about their desire for whatever reason.

There was a breakout of a very contagious disease in California a while back (about the time we got our Labrador). The disease was transmitted from breeder to breeder by people carrying the contagion on their shoes. Our breeder went to great lengths to ban anyone that did not have their feet sterilized before entering her property - that was a "reasonable" thing to do in her case.

My point is we are all in this together, it will be a much more enjoyable ride if we try to get along.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
all Village restrictions, but also county and state restrictions that you a)do not let your dog go on private property for any reason b)the leash be no more than 6 feet long(look it up...I did).

If you're taking your dog for a "walk" then that is it's exercise and not to be combined with relieving itself unless it's on common property or a dog park. And no matter where your dog poops it is illegal to leave it no matter where that is. I don't want dog/pet urine on my lawn. That too is illegal...look it up.

I feel sorry this is ruining your retirement.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Unfortunately you are still drinking the Kool-Aid you will understand what everyone is saying as time goes on.
The simple question is why does dog owner feel they have the right to come on others property, this is why there are dog parks!
Old 10-07-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
[B]
Unfortunately you are still drinking the Kool-Aid you will understand what everyone is saying as time goes on.
The simple question is why does dog owner feel they have the right to come on others property, this is why there are dog parks!
Well, the reason I believe I can walk my dog on your property is as follows:

1.There is an easement on your property along the road, look at your site plan. It is a public easement. It is not clearly indicated what that easement is to be used for (we will get to that)

2. You also agreed to covenants when you moved in. Those covenants clearly state that dogs are allowed in the villages. It also clearly states if when walking those pets they defecate on someones property the pet owner responsible to clean it up.

This is another example of poor wording which is going to make your case even harder to win in court, since if I am walking someone else's dog, I am NOT responsible to clean up after it, the owner is responsible. So, you will have to take that up with the owner. This is a good reason for me to walk my wife's dog and she should walk my dog. Are we getting silly enough yet?

This covenant says that I can walk my dogs in the neighborhood, and it is EXPECTED that the dogs will poop on peoples property. The reason it says I can walk my dogs on your property is that it doesn't state I can't, and does state the expectation that I will. This is known as implicit permission, by defining action to be taken in the case of something being that is permitted.

The covenant is not shy at saying things are NOT allowed, there are numerous examples of that. It does NOT say at any point that dogs can not be walked in the neighborhood. It states that when pets defecate on neighbors property what actions are to be taken.

This is the same thing as saying music must be "turned down" after (I think) 10 PM and until dawn. That gives implicit permission to play music loudly the rest of the time.

The covenants are very poorly worded. But, they do supersede local county laws (in most civil issues), since you agreed to them when you moved in.

3. I don't know about Sumter County laws and how they are written, but in most of the country, you will have difficult time charging someone with trespass without a "Private Property" sign clearly posted. I guess I don't have to mention that you are not allowed to post a private property sign in TV.

And finally I don't appreciate the insult of "drinking the cool aide" just because I disagree with your interpretation of how laws will be enforced. It is not conducive to a civil conversation or solving what is obviously a continuing issue among neighbors.

I could as just as well say you should stop eating the sour grapes.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:51 AM
Veteran member
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post

Can you provide the link that states those restrictions? I would love to have them in writing. I tried myself on the Sumter County web site to no avail. Been here 7 years and all dog owners in the neighborhood stop at my property (and other's) and allow their dog to use my private property as their bathroom. For the most part it is picked up. There is still excrement left behind. They have these leashes that extend many feet. It will never change here.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Watching people walking their dogs sometimes makes me think some dog owners let their pets think for them.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, courts, dogs, reply, walk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.