DOG WALKERS The Courts are NOT A DOG PARK

DOG WALKERS The Courts are NOT A DOG PARK

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
DOG WALKERS The Courts are NOT A DOG PARK
  #1  
Old 10-07-2019, 06:15 AM
Rosebud1949 Rosebud1949 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default DOG WALKERS The Courts are NOT A DOG PARK

Please all dog owners, you have a number of dog parks or golf cart trails to walk your dogs The Tennis and Pickleball Courts are NOT for your use. Again on Sunday at Bacall I had to ask an owner to leave the courts. It does not say you cannot walk your dogs in the court was the first reply. You have plenty of Dog Parks we said, dont want to use them was the reply.. Well the courts are not a dog toilet. We should not have to remove poop from the courts before we play. Nor should we have to wonder what the balls are landing in before we pick them up ti use them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosebud1949 For This Useful Post:

  #2  
Old 10-07-2019, 06:54 AM
Chellybean Chellybean is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 352
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Default

its called Village entitlement!
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 10-07-2019, 06:55 AM
Martian's Avatar
Martian Martian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 295
Thanks: 66
Thanked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Default

I am a dog owner, and my first thought is I agree with you. I am not aware of the Courts layout, we have only been here 4 weeks and haven't made it there yet. My feeling is that there are limited restrictions on walking our dogs, but, there are some, and then there is also common courtesy.

If the dogs were on leash and walked around the outside of the Court in a "common" area, that is one thing, but if the dog was being walked in an area that the ball could reasonably be expected to land/roll, then I have to agree with you that it would be common courtesy to walk someplace else.

Aren't the pickle ball courts fenced? Was the dog inside the fence? If so, I would put in a suggestion that the rules be changed to exclude dogs and pets from the fenced area.
__________________
All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting. --George Orwell
The Following User Says Thank You to Martian For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 10-07-2019, 06:58 AM
NotGolfer NotGolfer is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Villages
Posts: 3,100
Thanks: 32
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Loss of common sense and NOT entitlement. When did it become a "thing" to think our pets/animals could accompany us everywhere we go??
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NotGolfer For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 10-07-2019, 07:01 AM
Chellybean Chellybean is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 352
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I am a dog owner, and my first thought is I agree with you. I am not aware of the Courts layout, we have only been here 4 weeks and haven't made it there yet. My feeling is that there are limited restrictions on walking our dogs, but, there are some, and then there is also common courtesy.

If the dogs were on leash and walked around the outside of the Court in a "common" area, that is one thing, but if the dog was being walked in an area that the ball could reasonably be expected to land/roll, then I have to agree with you that it would be common courtesy to walk someplace else.

Aren't the pickle ball courts fenced? Was the dog inside the fence? If so, I would put in a suggestion that the rules be changed to exclude dogs and pets from the fenced area.
Your reasonable attitude is applauded! HOWEVER!
You will learn that dog owners in your neighborhood will feel entitled to walk there dog on other peoples property to do there business.
This is a hot subject in this forum and i am a animal lover but do not want your dog on my property Period.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chellybean For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 10-07-2019, 07:16 AM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 16,075
Thanks: 0
Thanked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Default

When addressing an issue such as this I suggest a more accurate dialogue.
Some posts, including the OP address the subject preceded by the all inclusive categorization of "...all dog owners...".

Which is incorrect. There is a small percentage of dog owners who fit the issue being addressed. And that small percentage include the entitled.

It is typical, unfortunately, to address a subject with the broad, across the board, general over view.

The 95%++ of us dog owners who are and continue to be responsible, rule/law abiding pet owners request the subject be addressed more accurately by making a slight change to the subject........"...some dog owners...".

__________________
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to billethkid For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 10-07-2019, 07:31 AM
Martian's Avatar
Martian Martian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 295
Thanks: 66
Thanked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
Your reasonable attitude is applauded! HOWEVER!
You will learn that dog owners in your neighborhood will feel entitled to walk there dog on other peoples property to do there business.
This is a hot subject in this forum and i am a animal lover but do not want your dog on my property Period.
I understand your not wanting our dogs on your property. And I can not speak to "all dog owners", but I can assure you that if you see us walking our dogs on your property, a simple comment that you would appreciate us not walking there would be sufficient and we would avoid your property in the future.

In our neighborhood the covenant is pretty clear (could be better) in stating that if our dog poops on your property we are supposed to (expected to) pick it up. This to me is a pretty clear indication that the rules intend to allow us to walk our dogs at least along the edge of your property at the road.

That said, I also believe it is not unreasonable for you to not want that to happen, and as I said, a simple "please keep your dog off my property" would suffice to get us to stop trespassing.

Sadly, many people are not as interested in peaceful co-existence... This whole "having neighbors" thing is new to us, coming from 11 acres where the closest neighbor being over 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. We are trying to learn, but I do think some give and take on both sides can make things better.
__________________
All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting. --George Orwell
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martian For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 10-07-2019, 07:35 AM
Kahuna32162 Kahuna32162 is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 912
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default





Oh Boy, a poop thread!!
__________________
Mark & Linnae
Birmingham, The U.P., Saginaw, Bay City, Toledo, Columbus, Dayton
& The Village of Chatham

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
It is in fact not only against...
  #9  
Old 10-07-2019, 07:47 AM
Mortal1 Mortal1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 96
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default It is in fact not only against...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I understand your not wanting our dogs on your property. And I can not speak to "all dog owners", but I can assure you that if you see us walking our dogs on your property, a simple comment that you would appreciate us not walking there would be sufficient and we would avoid your property in the future.

In our neighborhood the covenant is pretty clear (could be better) in stating that if our dog poops on your property we are supposed to (expected to) pick it up. This to me is a pretty clear indication that the rules intend to allow us to walk our dogs at least along the edge of your property at the road.

That said, I also believe it is not unreasonable for you to not want that to happen, and as I said, a simple "please keep your dog off my property" would suffice to get us to stop trespassing.

Sadly, many people are not as interested in peaceful co-existence... This whole "having neighbors" thing is new to us, coming from 11 acres where the closest neighbor being over 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. We are trying to learn, but I do think some give and take on both sides can make things better.
all Village restrictions, but also county and state restrictions that you a)do not let your dog go on private property for any reason b)the leash be no more than 6 feet long(look it up...I did).

If you're taking your dog for a "walk" then that is it's exercise and not to be combined with relieving itself unless it's on common property or a dog park. And no matter where your dog poops it is illegal to leave it no matter where that is. I don't want dog/pet urine on my lawn. That too is illegal...look it up.

You can be fined...it isn't as cheap as picking it up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mortal1 For This Useful Post:
  #10  
Old 10-07-2019, 07:48 AM
Martian's Avatar
Martian Martian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 295
Thanks: 66
Thanked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
When addressing an issue such as this I suggest a more accurate dialogue.
Some posts, including the OP address the subject preceded by the all inclusive categorization of "...all dog owners...".

Which is incorrect. There is a small percentage of dog owners who fit the issue being addressed. And that small percentage include the entitled.

It is typical, unfortunately, to address a subject with the broad, across the board, general over view.

The 95%++ of us dog owners who are and continue to be responsible, rule/law abiding pet owners request the subject be addressed more accurately by making a slight change to the subject........"...some dog owners...".

I am a dog owner (2 large dogs) and I did not take the original post as accusing all dog owners of this, but as a comment directed to all dog owners. The use of CAPITALS in the title gave me a sense of the OP's frustration over what appears from their description to be an unreasonable dog owner (we haven't heard the other side yet - so, we don't know anything for sure).

It is certainly easy for tempers to flare when irritations occur over and over and communications don't seem to make progress.

I completely agree with you that the majority of dog owners are responsible and want to "get along" with their neighbors.

I will go the other way also, and say that the majority (98.324%) of residents that do not own dogs are easy to get along with and don't mind dogs walking on their grass, or park, or wherever.

And then there are the reasonable people that just don't want the animals on their property. Guess what everyone, it's THEIR property. There is nothing unreasonable about their desire for whatever reason.

There was a breakout of a very contagious disease in California a while back (about the time we got our Labrador). The disease was transmitted from breeder to breeder by people carrying the contagion on their shoes. Our breeder went to great lengths to ban anyone that did not have their feet sterilized before entering her property - that was a "reasonable" thing to do in her case.

My point is we are all in this together, it will be a much more enjoyable ride if we try to get along.
__________________
All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting. --George Orwell
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martian For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, courts, dogs, reply, walk

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.