DOG WALKERS The Courts are NOT A DOG PARK

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,336 Times in 1,445 Posts

I don't mind dogs pooping on my lawn as long as it is picked up and their pee does not harm St. Augustine grass as my dog pees on ours a lot and never had a brown spot from it. On the other hand I'm really glad that there are no Canada Geese in Fenney as we live on water. Lived with those things for years in Ohio and they make a huge mess that dogs seem to want to roll in. I'll live with the occasional dog poop.

PS, I agree that they should not be off leash or in courts, etc. I quit telling people the rules as one lady gave me the finger, and a gentleman threatened me. Too many concealed carries in Florida to get involved anymore.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Can you provide the link that states those restrictions? I would love to have them in writing. I tried myself on the Sumter County web site to no avail. Been here 7 years and all dog owners in the neighborhood stop at my property (and other's) and allow their dog to use my private property as their bathroom. For the most part it is picked up. There is still excrement left behind. They have these leashes that extend many feet. It will never change here.
read 810.09 and call the police and they will be trespassed warned:the second time they will go bye bye in cuffs!
Old 10-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

I agree they should NOT be inside the courts either pickleball or tennis. Plenty areas to walk dog outside the fences and common areas. I once played tennis with guy that brought his Austrian terrier to courts with him. He told the dog to set and it never moved till he was done and they walked out together. I figure .001 percent of dogs are that well trained.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Well, the reason I believe I can walk my dog on your property is as follows:

1.There is an easement on your property along the road, look at your site plan. It is a public easement. It is not clearly indicated what that easement is to be used for (we will get to that)

2. You also agreed to covenants when you moved in. Those covenants clearly state that dogs are allowed in the villages. It also clearly states if when walking those pets they defecate on someones property the pet owner responsible to clean it up.

This is another example of poor wording which is going to make your case even harder to win in court, since if I am walking someone else's dog, I am NOT responsible to clean up after it, the owner is responsible. So, you will have to take that up with the owner. This is a good reason for me to walk my wife's dog and she should walk my dog. Are we getting silly enough yet?

This covenant says that I can walk my dogs in the neighborhood, and it is EXPECTED that the dogs will poop on peoples property. The reason it says I can walk my dogs on your property is that it doesn't state I can't, and does state the expectation that I will. This is known as implicit permission, by defining action to be taken in the case of something being that is permitted.

The covenant is not shy at saying things are NOT allowed, there are numerous examples of that. It does NOT say at any point that dogs can not be walked in the neighborhood. It states that when pets defecate on neighbors property what actions are to be taken.

This is the same thing as saying music must be "turned down" after (I think) 10 PM and until dawn. That gives implicit permission to play music loudly the rest of the time.

The covenants are very poorly worded. But, they do supersede local county laws (in most civil issues), since you agreed to them when you moved in.

3. I don't know about Sumter County laws and how they are written, but in most of the country, you will have difficult time charging someone with trespass without a "Private Property" sign clearly posted. I guess I don't have to mention that you are not allowed to post a private property sign in TV.

And finally I don't appreciate the insult of "drinking the cool aide" just because I disagree with your interpretation of how laws will be enforced. It is not conducive to a civil conversation or solving what is obviously a continuing issue among neighbors.

I could as just as well say you should stop eating the sour grapes.
OMG you better research 810.09. you do not have any rights in easements either. Good luck you will need it!
Old 10-07-2019, 10:31 AM

A dog needs only the smallest of areas to do its business. Do it at your home then go for a walk. We do.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell
Old 10-07-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,336 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
read 810.09 and call the police and they will be trespassed warned:the second time they will go bye bye in cuffs!
That is not true. There are parties I know of that have had numerous complaints filed against them for exactly that and each time they call they are referred to animal control that does absolutely nothing, the police will not show up.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I am a dog owner, and my first thought is I agree with you. I am not aware of the Courts layout, we have only been here 4 weeks and haven't made it there yet. My feeling is that there are limited restrictions on walking our dogs, but, there are some, and then there is also common courtesy.

If the dogs were on leash and walked around the outside of the Court in a "common" area, that is one thing, but if the dog was being walked in an area that the ball could reasonably be expected to land/roll, then I have to agree with you that it would be common courtesy to walk someplace else.

Aren't the pickle ball courts fenced? Was the dog inside the fence? If so, I would put in a suggestion that the rules be changed to exclude dogs and pets from the fenced area.
Changing rules probably will not change anything. If common sense doesn't work, why would a rule?
Old 10-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

[QUOTE=Martian;1686811]I am a dog owner (2 large dogs) and I did not take the original post as accusing all dog owners of this, but as a comment directed to all dog owners. The use of CAPITALS in the title gave me a sense of the OP's frustration over what appears from their description to be an unreasonable dog owner (we haven't heard the other side yet - so, we don't know anything for sure).

It is certainly easy for tempers to flare when irritations occur over and over and communications don't seem to make progress.

I completely agree with you that the majority of dog owners are responsible and want to "get along" with their neighbors.

I will go the other way also, and say that the majority (98.324%) of residents that do not own dogs are easy to get along with and don't mind dogs walking on their grass, or park, or wherever.

And then there are the reasonable people that just don't want the animals on their property. Guess what everyone, it's THEIR property. There is nothing unreasonable about their desire for whatever reason.

There was a breakout of a very contagious disease in California a while back (about the time we got our Labrador). The disease was transmitted from breeder to breeder by people carrying the contagion on their shoes. Our breeder went to great lengths to ban anyone that did not have their feet sterilized before entering her property - that was a "reasonable" thing to do in her case.

My point is we are all in this together, it will be a much more enjoyable ride if we try to get along.[/QUO
/////

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 10-07-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
That is not true. There are parties I know of that have had numerous complaints filed against them for exactly that and each time they call they are referred to animal control that does absolutely nothing, the police will not show up.
Not true you need to go to the Captain if LEO are not doing anything!
The dog is by himself then its animal control, if it is on a leach and controlled by the owner it is 810.09!
Old 10-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

I love dogs. My neighbors' dogs use our yard and it is fine with us. However, I feel the need to jump in here.

I have heard others claim that easements allow people to walk across your lawn. Easements allow utilites, etc access to install and maintain equipment, including pipes and wires. They do not allow just anyone onto your property.

The fact that dogs are allowed in TV, is not an indication that you can take them anywhere you want.

Thank you for your attention.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I love dogs. My neighbors' dogs use our yard and it is fine with us. However, I feel the need to jump in here.

I have heard others claim that easements allow people to walk across your lawn. Easements allow utilites, etc access to install and maintain equipment, including pipes and wires. They do not allow just anyone onto your property.

The fact that dogs are allowed in TV, is not an indication that you can take them anywhere you want.

Thank you for your attention.
Thanks for saying what needed to be said!
Old 10-07-2019, 02:17 PM

Oh,oh! It’s the dog poop saga.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
...I have heard others claim that easements allow people to walk across your lawn. Easements allow utilites, etc access to install and maintain equipment, including pipes and wires. They do not allow just anyone onto your property...
Absolutely true.

Easements are always defined for specific uses by specific organizations. They in no way allow access by the general public to the private property ‘under’ the easement.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:25 PM
Default DOG WALKERS The Courts are NOT A DOG PARK

Frontage easements, typically a water main will add 6-7 feet to your maintenance frontage. That easement is no way the homeowners property. Your survey and a tape measure will verify this.
The benefit to being on an easement side of the street is a greater front setback to the street and a longer driveway.
Still, no excuse for a dog walker not respecting what you maintain.

Corner house owners know this all to well thinking adding a pool or an extension will be allowed.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell

Last edited by PrudentLifer; 10-07-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Gold member

The best one my wife told me about this week was that she was playing pickleball and some lady brought her dog into the court area and she wanted to play! She asked people who were not actively playing at the time if they would hold the dog's leash (on the court where people wait to play) while she played. Nobody agreed so she hooked the leash to the fence and went out to play. The entire time she was playing the dog barked and barked and barked. My wife finished up her game and left. Unbelievable ! Actually worse than the couple I saw at the square with their large dog on a leash dancing. A couple years ago, I saw an elderly gentleman fall over a dog at Lake Sumter Square because of the same thing.

I know you love your dogs but act a little sensible at least

Tags
dog, courts, dogs, reply, walk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.