DOG WALKERS The Courts are NOT A DOG PARK

DOG WALKERS The Courts are NOT A DOG PARK

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 10-07-2019, 07:50 AM
Martian's Avatar
Martian Martian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 295
Thanks: 66
Thanked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
all Village restrictions, but also county and state restrictions that you a)do not let your dog go on private property for any reason b)the leash be no more than 6 feet long(look it up...I did).

If you're taking your dog for a "walk" then that is it's exercise and not to be combined with relieving itself unless it's on common property or a dog park. And no matter where your dog poops it is illegal to leave it no matter where that is. I don't want dog/pet urine on my lawn. That too is illegal...look it up.

You can be fined...it isn't as cheap as picking it up.
I feel sorry this is ruining your retirement.
__________________
All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting. --George Orwell
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martian For This Useful Post:

  #12  
Old 10-07-2019, 07:58 AM
Chellybean Chellybean is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 352
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I understand your not wanting our dogs on your property. And I can not speak to "all dog owners", but I can assure you that if you see us walking our dogs on your property, a simple comment that you would appreciate us not walking there would be sufficient and we would avoid your property in the future.

In our neighborhood the covenant is pretty clear (could be better) in stating that if our dog poops on your property we are supposed to (expected to) pick it up. This to me is a pretty clear indication that the rules intend to allow us to walk our dogs at least along the edge of your property at the road.

That said, I also believe it is not unreasonable for you to not want that to happen, and as I said, a simple "please keep your dog off my property" would suffice to get us to stop trespassing.

Sadly, many people are not as interested in peaceful co-existence... This whole "having neighbors" thing is new to us, coming from 11 acres where the closest neighbor being over 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. We are trying to learn, but I do think some give and take on both sides can make things better.
all Village restrictions, but also county and state restrictions that you a)do not let your dog go on private property for any reason b)the leash be no more than 6 feet long(look it up...I did).

If you're taking your dog for a "walk" then that is it's exercise and not to be combined with relieving itself unless it's on common property or a dog park. And no matter where your dog poops it is illegal to leave it no matter where that is. I don't want dog/pet urine on my lawn. That too is illegal...look it up.

You can be fined...it isn't as cheap as picking it up.


Unfortunately you are still drinking the Kool-Aid you will understand what everyone is saying as time goes on.
The simple question is why does dog owner feel they have the right to come on others property, this is why there are dog parks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chellybean For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
  #13  
Old 10-07-2019, 08:39 AM
Martian's Avatar
Martian Martian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 295
Thanks: 66
Thanked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
[B]
Unfortunately you are still drinking the Kool-Aid you will understand what everyone is saying as time goes on.
The simple question is why does dog owner feel they have the right to come on others property, this is why there are dog parks!
Well, the reason I believe I can walk my dog on your property is as follows:

1.There is an easement on your property along the road, look at your site plan. It is a public easement. It is not clearly indicated what that easement is to be used for (we will get to that)

2. You also agreed to covenants when you moved in. Those covenants clearly state that dogs are allowed in the villages. It also clearly states if when walking those pets they defecate on someones property the pet owner responsible to clean it up.

This is another example of poor wording which is going to make your case even harder to win in court, since if I am walking someone else's dog, I am NOT responsible to clean up after it, the owner is responsible. So, you will have to take that up with the owner. This is a good reason for me to walk my wife's dog and she should walk my dog. Are we getting silly enough yet?

This covenant says that I can walk my dogs in the neighborhood, and it is EXPECTED that the dogs will poop on peoples property. The reason it says I can walk my dogs on your property is that it doesn't state I can't, and does state the expectation that I will. This is known as implicit permission, by defining action to be taken in the case of something being that is permitted.

The covenant is not shy at saying things are NOT allowed, there are numerous examples of that. It does NOT say at any point that dogs can not be walked in the neighborhood. It states that when pets defecate on neighbors property what actions are to be taken.

This is the same thing as saying music must be "turned down" after (I think) 10 PM and until dawn. That gives implicit permission to play music loudly the rest of the time.

The covenants are very poorly worded. But, they do supersede local county laws (in most civil issues), since you agreed to them when you moved in.

3. I don't know about Sumter County laws and how they are written, but in most of the country, you will have difficult time charging someone with trespass without a "Private Property" sign clearly posted. I guess I don't have to mention that you are not allowed to post a private property sign in TV.

And finally I don't appreciate the insult of "drinking the cool aide" just because I disagree with your interpretation of how laws will be enforced. It is not conducive to a civil conversation or solving what is obviously a continuing issue among neighbors.

I could as just as well say you should stop eating the sour grapes.
__________________
All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting. --George Orwell
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martian For This Useful Post:
  #14  
Old 10-07-2019, 08:51 AM
RedChariot RedChariot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 391
Thanks: 16
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
all Village restrictions, but also county and state restrictions that you a)do not let your dog go on private property for any reason b)the leash be no more than 6 feet long(look it up...I did).

If you're taking your dog for a "walk" then that is it's exercise and not to be combined with relieving itself unless it's on common property or a dog park. And no matter where your dog poops it is illegal to leave it no matter where that is. I don't want dog/pet urine on my lawn. That too is illegal...look it up.

You can be fined...it isn't as cheap as picking it up.
Can you provide the link that states those restrictions? I would love to have them in writing. I tried myself on the Sumter County web site to no avail. Been here 7 years and all dog owners in the neighborhood stop at my property (and other's) and allow their dog to use my private property as their bathroom. For the most part it is picked up. There is still excrement left behind. They have these leashes that extend many feet. It will never change here.
__________________
Forgive My Edge-I'm from New Jersey.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedChariot For This Useful Post:
  #15  
Old 10-07-2019, 09:21 AM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is online now
Gold member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Mallory Square
Posts: 1,018
Thanks: 1
Thanked 117 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Watching people walking their dogs sometimes makes me think some dog owners let their pets think for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Velvet For This Useful Post:
  #16  
Old 10-07-2019, 09:44 AM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 1,427
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I don't mind dogs pooping on my lawn as long as it is picked up and their pee does not harm St. Augustine grass as my dog pees on ours a lot and never had a brown spot from it. On the other hand I'm really glad that there are no Canada Geese in Fenney as we live on water. Lived with those things for years in Ohio and they make a huge mess that dogs seem to want to roll in. I'll live with the occasional dog poop.

PS, I agree that they should not be off leash or in courts, etc. I quit telling people the rules as one lady gave me the finger, and a gentleman threatened me. Too many concealed carries in Florida to get involved anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to vintageogauge For This Useful Post:
  #17  
Old 10-07-2019, 09:50 AM
Chellybean Chellybean is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 352
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Can you provide the link that states those restrictions? I would love to have them in writing. I tried myself on the Sumter County web site to no avail. Been here 7 years and all dog owners in the neighborhood stop at my property (and other's) and allow their dog to use my private property as their bathroom. For the most part it is picked up. There is still excrement left behind. They have these leashes that extend many feet. It will never change here.
read 810.09 and call the police and they will be trespassed warned:the second time they will go bye bye in cuffs!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chellybean For This Useful Post:
  #18  
Old 10-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 4,378
Thanks: 18
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I agree they should NOT be inside the courts either pickleball or tennis. Plenty areas to walk dog outside the fences and common areas. I once played tennis with guy that brought his Austrian terrier to courts with him. He told the dog to set and it never moved till he was done and they walked out together. I figure .001 percent of dogs are that well trained.
The Following User Says Thank You to Topspinmo For This Useful Post:
  #19  
Old 10-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Chellybean Chellybean is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 352
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Well, the reason I believe I can walk my dog on your property is as follows:

1.There is an easement on your property along the road, look at your site plan. It is a public easement. It is not clearly indicated what that easement is to be used for (we will get to that)

2. You also agreed to covenants when you moved in. Those covenants clearly state that dogs are allowed in the villages. It also clearly states if when walking those pets they defecate on someones property the pet owner responsible to clean it up.

This is another example of poor wording which is going to make your case even harder to win in court, since if I am walking someone else's dog, I am NOT responsible to clean up after it, the owner is responsible. So, you will have to take that up with the owner. This is a good reason for me to walk my wife's dog and she should walk my dog. Are we getting silly enough yet?

This covenant says that I can walk my dogs in the neighborhood, and it is EXPECTED that the dogs will poop on peoples property. The reason it says I can walk my dogs on your property is that it doesn't state I can't, and does state the expectation that I will. This is known as implicit permission, by defining action to be taken in the case of something being that is permitted.

The covenant is not shy at saying things are NOT allowed, there are numerous examples of that. It does NOT say at any point that dogs can not be walked in the neighborhood. It states that when pets defecate on neighbors property what actions are to be taken.

This is the same thing as saying music must be "turned down" after (I think) 10 PM and until dawn. That gives implicit permission to play music loudly the rest of the time.

The covenants are very poorly worded. But, they do supersede local county laws (in most civil issues), since you agreed to them when you moved in.

3. I don't know about Sumter County laws and how they are written, but in most of the country, you will have difficult time charging someone with trespass without a "Private Property" sign clearly posted. I guess I don't have to mention that you are not allowed to post a private property sign in TV.

And finally I don't appreciate the insult of "drinking the cool aide" just because I disagree with your interpretation of how laws will be enforced. It is not conducive to a civil conversation or solving what is obviously a continuing issue among neighbors.

I could as just as well say you should stop eating the sour grapes.
OMG you better research 810.09. you do not have any rights in easements either. Good luck you will need it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chellybean For This Useful Post:
  #20  
Old 10-07-2019, 10:31 AM
PrudentLifer PrudentLifer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: The Villages, Florida
Posts: 205
Thanks: 44
Thanked 65 Times in 49 Posts
Default

A dog needs only the smallest of areas to do its business. Do it at your home then go for a walk. We do.


"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrudentLifer For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, courts, dogs, reply, walk

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.