Dog walkers on golf courses

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Dog walkers on golf courses

Is there a problem walking dogs alongside the many trails that go all through TV? The dog gets the excercise along with the owner. The owner also has the chance to do some bending over to pick up. Most of the abuse I see results from dogs running lose and not having their deposits picked up.

Some, not all dog owners, think that their pets should only do their business in someone elses' yard or in the common areas or golf courses and not in THEIR YARDS.

I believe in some areas of TV, only 1 dog is allowed per home unless you move in with two. In some areas, I've been told, there are covenants that dictate dogs must weight less than x number of pounds. There has certainly been violations of the rules by some folks who have bought more than one dog since moving into TV home.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:31 PM

Walkers, with or without dogs, are on the courses both day and night. Just drive down Enriique anytime and you will see them. Why isn't one of the golf workers stopping them. I am not a golfer, but I know that is the rule for any golf course. I also know that a trail fee is paid so you can use your cart. Golfing on the executive courses is free if you walk.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Platinum member

At the $1 store they sell disposable diaper bags for soiled diapers, they are perfect poop bags in that they have handles that tie tight. 100 bags for $1. I would never think of letting my 2 babies use others personal or public properties for their business and not clean it up!! Also an unleashed pet can chase a rabbit and be a lost pet in seconds!! I only let my dogs do their business in my own yard, but the bags are for the impropmtu visits to the historic east of 27 doggy park. Dogs on golf courses? Mine don't golf!
Old 05-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704
Is there a problem walking dogs alongside the many trails that go all through TV?
Hancle, I think the problem is that people don't know where the many trails are located, thus the abuse of golf courses. The only walking trail that I can find on the map is the Springdale Walking Trail located in the upper North/West part of TV. When I questioned the Village Agent about walking trails, I was told that there is only one Trail. And that people are expected to get their exercise golfing.

If there are more trails, I'd be delighted to hear about them. Anything in the South/West part of TV?
Old 05-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Sage

I must be living in LaLa land because in the 6 months we've lived here, I have never seen a dog off leash! Well for my 2 cents worth, I don't golf, I don't swim, and I LOVE doggies!
(Even though I do not have one at the moment!) I think Bare and Susan have great ideas. I would love to see a some kind of dog park in every community. We have a pool and rec center in every community. Back in Illinois, my daughter was years out of school and we still payed taxes to have the best schools around. I don't see the difference. If there is a small fee, I don't think Dog Lovers would complain. But, I do think the Developer should provide it. Dogs are family members and should be treated as such. This is indeed a Dog Lover Community and I really don't get why the Developer didn't allow for this. I think it would solve everyone's problem, even mine. Not owning a dog yet (long story) I would love to walk down to a neighborhood dog park and enjoy all the doggy energy going on. I vote for Dog Parks! :bigthumbsup:
They bring joy and love to all. The Villages Florida
Old 05-04-2008, 07:22 PM

Kathy if you have a problem with people on your course, why don't you say something to them. How about, "Excuse me, did you know your not supposed to be on the course?" act concerned that they may get fined. Usually, that puts an end to it, much of this is done by renters, or visitors.
If the golf course is private, isn't everyones yard? Flex leashes were developed so you could exercise your dog and still be in control, not to let him wander into someones yard while you stand in the street. Has anyone heard of "curbing"? It's when you have the dog relieve it's self on the curb (and then clean it up). Allowing male dogs to pee on my garbage, trees, or street sign is so not right.
Back to the other topic. Who wants to live by the dog park?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I SAY PUT ALL DOGS IN THE BUFFALO FIELDS........AND KEEP THEM THERE..

that way you can visit them on weekends.........I heard that was considered once before but the buffalo complained about the c__p all over their area.........Oh well,,,,there's allways FRUITLAND PARK....
;D ;D :bigthumbsup:
Old 05-05-2008, 01:14 AM

Thank you for all your replies. My main intent was not to bash dog owners but to ask what could be done to those who are not only breaking the law (NO non-golfers on Championship Golf Courses!!!....NO unleashed dogs...ANYWHERE), but causing unsafe situations. The back of our house faces the golf course. Altho it appeared that this couple with their dogs running free were Villagers, how could we be sure. How could we be sure that they weren't outsiders checking out houses for potential break-ins? In this particular instance, I opened my slider and one of the little dogs came running...right past me and into my house. Cute little dog, but... I picked it up and headed down the cart path looking for its parents. While walking, I could see right into my neighbors' homes...and so can anyone else walking the course. Anyway, I walked quite a ways and never saw the couple, so I turned to return home...dog still in my arms. As I got close to my house, I heard someone whisteling. They apparently had finally discovered that one of their dogs wasn't with them. I yelled to them asking if this was their dog. The woman yelled 'yes and thank you.' I replied that she was not supposed to be walking on the golf course and that there was a leash law. She again, said 'thank you.' I don't think she was thanking me for enlightening her tho. I've spoken to other walkers and that hasn't deterred them either. I'm very uncomfortable with people walking behind our house when we bought...and paid (dearly) for privacy. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:44 AM
Platinum member

We need someone of authority to tell them. Maybe a posting in the paper? I didn't realize people walked around golf courses??!!!! FORE!!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Hving lived here for over 4 years...I do golf 2-3 times per week both Executive and Championship courses and can say I have never seen anybody that did not belong on the golf course..let alone walking the dog.
I suspect we are trying to adjust our thoughts to isolated incidents....very isolated and looking for a solution to that isolated incident or incidents.
In fact I would say regarding dogs on leashes and folks not walking around golf courses the percent compliance is well above 99%!
Next subject please.

BTK
Old 05-05-2008, 02:05 AM

In response to your looking for a solution re the walkers on the golf course you might try going to a Resident Advisory Council meeting and informing them of the situation. Another idea would be to notify your VHA Village Rep of what is occurring.

As a dog owner I am very upset with Florida's Friendliest Hometown residents that have no consideration for private property by allowing their dogs to defacate on their neighbor's land. We live on a corner lot and we "were" having these "friendly" neighbors dog's doing their business here day and night. I say "were" because we finally decided if these neighbor's have no consideration for us then we were through trying to be civil and nice to them. I put signs in the front and side windows informing them no dogs allowed on our lawn. I also put a suggestion on the Village survey requesting they make it a law for pet owners to train their animals to defacate on their own lawn or the common areas in their respective village.

In one of The Villages Water Wisdom articles in the Daily Sun it stated that pet waste
carries bacteria, viruses, and parasites that can pose risks to human health and threaten wildlife.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid
Hving lived here for over 4 years...I do golf 2-3 times per week both Executive and Championship courses and can say I have never seen anybody that did not belong on the golf course..let alone walking the dog.
I suspect we are trying to adjust our thoughts to isolated incidents....very isolated and looking for a solution to that isolated incident or incidents.
In fact I would say regarding dogs on leashes and folks not walking around golf courses the percent compliance is well above 99%!
Next subject please.

Thought you would like to know that I've seen walkers, bikers, kids in golf carts, kids playing on palmer (touch football-called village watch and no one responded) after hours golfers with no tag on cart, generally enough over the past few years to refute your 99% compliance.

BTK
Old 05-05-2008, 02:29 AM
Veteran member

Oops, my reply was sent in BTK's reply and not as a stand alone message. Sorry about the mix up. Anyway have seen on numerous ocassions non-golfers on golf cart paths that are clearly marked "golfing traffic only". As mentioned noticed kids playing touch football on palmer and in sight of golfers who ignored them. Also robberies in the local news last year, where it was suspected someone on a bicycle used golf course paths as access to the backs of houses. Enough on this.......
Old 05-05-2008, 02:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
Hancle, I think the problem is that people don't know where the many trails are located, thus the abuse of golf courses. The only walking trail that I can find on the map is the Springdale Walking Trail located in the upper North/West part of TV. When I questioned the Village Agent about walking trails, I was told that there is only one Trail. And that people are expected to get their exercise golfing.

If there are more trails, I'd be delighted to hear about them. Anything in the South/West part of TV?
There is a newly paved path that runs alongside of CR 466A. Last Saturday I traveled by golf cart alongside of Morse Blvd from North of CR 466 all the way to CR 466A.Seems to me that dog owners could walk along these wide paths and have dog walk with them on a leash. These paths are wide enough to accomodate golf carts, bicyclists, walkers and yes, dogs. Similar paths run alongside CR 466 from Morse to Buena Vista Blvd and in many parts of TV. My point is none of these paths are restricted to golf carts only and they all have grass areas alongside and an occasional park bench for folks to rest and enjoy the day with man's best friends.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot at last
Hmmm ... let me see if I understand your reasoning. As part of our amenities, the Developer provides golf courses for you and me, and I don't golf. Because I don't golf, does that mean the Developer shouldn't provide golf courses for anyone else? :dontknow:
Barefoot,

I'm with you on this one. I don't golf, nor do I have a dog (we're cat people) but I certainly would be in favor of a dog park for all the puppies in TV.

The developers advertise they are open to suggestions, maybe if enough dog owners request a doggie park, they will accommodate.

It's worth a try
Village of Hemmingway
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.