Dogs in Grocery Store

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2019, 10:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Maybe i missed it but i have not seen one post from a dog owner justifying taking their dogs out in public. So i have to assume they know it is not the right thing to do. So, why the hell do they do it.
Entitlement----that says it all.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 02-06-2019, 02:27 PM

I was at Mt Dora arts and crafts fair where I saw numerous signs all over the place that Mt Dora township law prohibited any dogs to be at this fair. Well lo and behold there were dozens of people with dogs there irritating the vendors who had fragile items on display. I asked one of the police officers why didnt enforce the law and remove these dog walkers. Their answer was that it was too hard to enforce...if they ask them if its a service animal and they say yes they cant do anything about it. So, many people with dogs take advantage of this loop hole.
And what's with people pushing baby carriages with a dog in it. I was flabbergasted the first time I saw it here in Florida. C'mon man!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

About a year ago some woman had a dog sitting next to her in TOOJAYS RESTAURANT when we were having dinner. There were many complaints but the manager just shrugged. From looking at the woman (who was eating alone) it was obviously very sad situation but still ...... really.

Personally, I think 98 out of 100 "service dogs" other then seeing-eye dogs are a fraud. Aside from that, The Villages is one big pedigree parade. VERY FEW "muts".
Old 02-06-2019, 06:36 PM
Sage

I personally know folks who have true service dogs and they have them for a purpose. Google it! The dogs go through a vigorous training as do the owners of them. Anyone can ask "what service does your dog do?" If they can't answer, then it's probably bogus. There is a great percentage of folks who get the vests online but those aren't true service animals. Comfort animals don't fall under the same guidelines so people push that "envelope" as well. I've seen a fluffy dog in a cart with a service dog vest on and I would venture to say it was bogus. A certified service dog is well-mannered in public, healing by it's master. It is also trained to go to the bathroom when it's suggested and not when the dog itself "requests" it or just does it as most animals do. My friend is in a wheelchair and has one----they were even in The Daily Sun and she tries to spread awareness. It's a sad thing that adults who should know better think they have the right to do whatever they want regarding their pets!!! You'll hear (read) the comments "my dog LOVES to go to the square or here or there!" Really? Does that animal actually "tell" their person that or does their person try to "human-ize" their pet??
Old 02-06-2019, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

I have a cousin who loves to tell people her dog is vegan, just the same as her.
I always take a bag of chopped meat when we visit, and slip it to him when she is not looking.
She can't understand why he is so friendly with me, and not with other people.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:45 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,092 Times in 373 Posts

Dogs in the Grocery Store

Frozen or Fresh?

Smith dogs from Erie, Pa are great!
Old 02-07-2019, 10:22 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Do you keep him under the eave?
He stays at the garage door. He "LOVES" the view
Old 02-07-2019, 10:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
About a year ago some woman had a dog sitting next to her in TOOJAYS RESTAURANT when we were having dinner. There were many complaints but the manager just shrugged. From looking at the woman (who was eating alone) it was obviously very sad situation but still ...... really.

Personally, I think 98 out of 100 "service dogs" other then seeing-eye dogs are a fraud. Aside from that, The Villages is one big pedigree parade. VERY FEW "muts".
Old 02-07-2019, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I personally know folks who have true service dogs and they have them for a purpose. Google it! The dogs go through a vigorous training as do the owners of them. Anyone can ask "what service does your dog do?" If they can't answer, then it's probably bogus. There is a great percentage of folks who get the vests online but those aren't true service animals. Comfort animals don't fall under the same guidelines so people push that "envelope" as well. I've seen a fluffy dog in a cart with a service dog vest on and I would venture to say it was bogus. A certified service dog is well-mannered in public, healing by it's master. It is also trained to go to the bathroom when it's suggested and not when the dog itself "requests" it or just does it as most animals do. My friend is in a wheelchair and has one----they were even in The Daily Sun and she tries to spread awareness. It's a sad thing that adults who should know better think they have the right to do whatever they want regarding their pets!!! You'll hear (read) the comments "my dog LOVES to go to the square or here or there!" Really? Does that animal actually "tell" their person that or does their person try to "human-ize" their pet??
In Connecticut it is illegal to challenge or question the function of a service animal. You can ask if it is, in fact, a service animal. If they say yes, then the conversation is over. If they say no, then you can ask them to take the animal elsewhere. If you ask "what service does your animal provide" they can sue you for violation of the ADA.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Dogs in the Grocery Store

Frozen or Fresh?

Smith dogs from Erie, Pa are great!
Publix, Winn Dixie or Walmart Neighborhood Market?
Old 02-07-2019, 04:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

I made a quick stop in Lowe's to get one bag of Black Cow for the lawn. I was in and out in 15 minutes. In that that short span I came across three people in the store with dogs. I just don't get it.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I have a cousin who loves to tell people her dog is vegan, just the same as her.
I always take a bag of chopped meat when we visit, and slip it to him when she is not looking.
She can't understand why he is so friendly with me, and not with other people.
My kinda guy...

Old 02-07-2019, 06:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
In Connecticut it is illegal to challenge or question the function of a service animal. You can ask if it is, in fact, a service animal. If they say yes, then the conversation is over. If they say no, then you can ask them to take the animal elsewhere. If you ask "what service does your animal provide" they can sue you for violation of the ADA.
WRONG

Old 02-07-2019, 07:32 PM

My husband and I were in Cracker Barrel recently. A couple had 2 small dogs under their table and were feeding them. I asked the hostess about the legalityofit and were told there was nothing they could do. The next time I see this in a restaurant, I will call the health department.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Veteran member

The company I work for uses CROs (complaint resolution officers). These are employees fully trained on the ADA. When I have an issue I call them and they proceed to validate the service animal. They ask for papers. The CRO is also trained on what the papers should look like. Not long ago a woman brings a pitbull on board as a service dog. Flight Attendants notice the dog was a bit hyper, very much unlike a trained service dog. I called the CRO. The papers provided to prove the dogs training were the type you buy on the internet for $10. The CRO took a sharpie and put a big X on all her paperwork and kicked the passenger off the aircraft. When the passenger asked what gave her away, the CRO said for one you need to get your dates right. The papers showed the dogs training was accomplished in 2020 and the dog was born in 1962. The passenger smiled, said sorry, and walked off. Total flight delay 90 mins. The other 200 people were not happy.
Closed Thread

Tags
grocery, dogs, cart, food, leash

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.