Dogs in Restaurants in Wildwood

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 AM
Veteran member
Default Dogs in Restaurants in Wildwood

Noticed on page C1 of today's TV paper that Wildwood has approved allowing dogs with certain restrictions into patio areas of restaurants. One of the restrictions is that dogs can not sit on the chairs. Photo on page C1 has a dog sitting on a chair at Johnny Rockets. "Give an inch, they'll take....." And yes I know that Rockets is not in Wildwood.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:07 AM

I hope they keep them on patio.
Last week at Two Jays in Spanish Springs a woman was feeding her dog at the table inside. I mentioned it to the hostess on way out, don't know if she did anything, should not have been inside with dog anyway.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
Noticed on page C1 of today's TV paper that Wildwood has approved allowing dogs with certain restrictions into patio areas of restaurants. One of the restrictions is that dogs can not sit on the chairs. Photo on page C1 has a dog sitting on a chair at Johnny Rockets. "Give an inch, they'll take....." And yes I know that Rockets is not in Wildwood.
My pooch Beau would not sit still or would want to be in people's laps at the restaurant but there are better behaved dogs which might really enjoy this.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
I thought the same thing when I saw that article and the ironic picture of the dog laying across the chair. We have been to World of Beer in Brownwood where they also allow dogs on the patio and the dogs have been sitting up in the chairs at the table like "people". The ordinance also says "dogs are allowed on the patios as long as they remain on the floor and away from furniture and dishes." I wonder how many will let their dogs "clean" their plate off when they are done eating. If they are not going to follow the chair rule, I doubt they would follow the rest of the ordinance. Just sayin....
Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

If I choose to dine with someones pet I'll go to the dog park in Spanish Springs with a picnic basket.I will not pay for a meal and sit by someones pet.
Hope this decision work we'll for them
Old 06-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Some of the metal outdoor chairs in some establishments are uncomfortable for people let alone dogs. No big deal to me which restaurant allows dogs on patios or not. Something for everyone.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Oh for Heaven's sake. Here we go again. TV is going to the dogs! If dogs are offensive to you, how about war, poverty, abuse? Let's find more important things to find offensive.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Veteran member

For anyone who traveled Europe, it was common to see dogs at outdoor dining areas. HOWEVER, the animal sat or laid on the ground and was not fed while the person was eating or drinking. Do Europeans have a better grasp of politeness than we Americans?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

What Wildwood did was add language to the city Land Use Code to allow restaurants to ask for permission to have dogs in outdoor dining.
http://www.wildwood-fl.gov/vertical/....23_Agenda.pdf

This is required because if there is not local authorization then non-service dogs are prohibited by law. Florida law allows local counties and cities to exempt permitted restaurants from that prohibition. First the local government must adopt a permitting procedure which requires the restaurant to apply individually for a doggie dining permit. The information on the permit:
shall require, at a minimum, the following information:
1. The name, location, and mailing address of the public food service establishment.

2. The name, mailing address, and telephone contact information of the permit applicant.

3. A diagram and description of the outdoor area to be designated as available to patrons’ dogs, including dimensions of the designated area; a depiction of the number and placement of tables, chairs, and restaurant equipment, if any; the entryways and exits to the designated outdoor area; the boundaries of the designated area and of other areas of outdoor dining not available for patrons’ dogs; any fences or other barriers; surrounding property lines and public rights-of-way, including sidewalks and common pathways; and such other information reasonably required by the permitting authority. The diagram or plan shall be accurate and to scale but need not be prepared by a licensed design professional.

4. A description of the days of the week and hours of operation that patrons’ dogs will be permitted in the designated outdoor area.

Additionally there are several requirements the restaurant must follow to protect the health of the public:
Chapter 509 Section 233 - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

1. All public food service establishment employees shall wash their hands promptly after touching, petting, or otherwise handling dogs. Employees shall be prohibited from touching, petting, or otherwise handling dogs while serving food or beverages or handling tableware or before entering other parts of the public food service establishment.

2. Patrons in a designated outdoor area shall be advised that they should wash their hands before eating. Waterless hand sanitizer shall be provided at all tables in the designated outdoor area.

3. Employees and patrons shall be instructed that they shall not allow dogs to come into contact with serving dishes, utensils, tableware, linens, paper products, or any other items involved in food service operations.

4. Patrons shall keep their dogs on a leash at all times and shall keep their dogs under reasonable control.

5. Dogs shall not be allowed on chairs, tables, or other furnishings.

6. All table and chair surfaces shall be cleaned and sanitized with an approved product between seating of patrons. Spilled food and drink shall be removed from the floor or ground between seating of patrons.

7. Accidents involving dog waste shall be cleaned immediately and the area sanitized with an approved product. A kit with the appropriate materials for this purpose shall be kept near the designated outdoor area.

8. A sign or signs reminding employees of the applicable rules shall be posted on premises in a manner and place as determined by the local permitting authority.

9. A sign or signs reminding patrons of the applicable rules shall be posted on premises in a manner and place as determined by the local permitting authority.

10. A sign or signs shall be posted in a manner and place as determined by the local permitting authority that places the public on notice that the designated outdoor area is available for the use of patrons and patrons’ dogs.

11. Dogs shall not be permitted to travel through indoor or nondesignated outdoor portions of the public food service establishment, and ingress and egress to the designated outdoor portions of the public food service establishment must not require entrance into or passage through any indoor area of the food establishment.

So you obviously will not see any dogs on chairs or off leashes. You will see sanitizer on every table. You will see the tables and chairs sanitized between patrons. You will not see any dogs being in contact with dishes or utensils. You will not see servers petting the dogs if they are serving food or drinks or handling tableware. Right?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Veteran member

Wouldn't a dog be a tripping hazard for a server? If we took our two labs they'd sprawl and potentially be a problem for anyone walking by. We personally, don't have dogs that would be very well behaved around food and would never take them with us to eat, but even the best behaved dog could be an issue for those walking.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:20 AM

I know when I was in Hanoi, Vietnam a couple years ago, they allowed dogs in restaurants. In fact, they even had them on the menu! I doubt The Villages will come to that.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Islamic Concern: Dogs in Islam

I had an Iraqi Muslim (Sunni) friend while at the University of Denver, Graduate School of Librarianship and Information Management and always found his take on pet dogs very interesting. He found them very dirty and not worth associating with in any way. Glad to see that this is not as widespread a feeling as I thought it might be among Muslims.

I had a Korean (South) friend while I was at the University of Minnesota Law School. He seemed to like dogs and cats and not to eat. He is/was a MD at a Medical School in Seoul. He is a pharmacology professor of some kind.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXNana View Post
Wouldn't a dog be a tripping hazard for a server? If we took our two labs they'd sprawl and potentially be a problem for anyone walking by. We personally, don't have dogs that would be very well behaved around food and would never take them with us to eat, but even the best behaved dog could be an issue for those walking.
It is kind of like taking children out to eat. Hopefully, you know if they are well enough behaved to be there.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdoc View Post
It is kind of like taking children out to eat. Hopefully, you know if they are well enough behaved to be there.
PERFECT!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdoc View Post
I agree.
Pet owners are usually mature and responsible people.
I think the restaurant will pick up more business than it loses.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.