Dogs In The Squares When Extremely Crowded

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2018, 07:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Children

When I was in school my parents took in children that were in need. They did not charge anyone for their care but instead we were told (there were 4 of us kids) that we were to treat them as our family. We had as many as 3 kids at a time and some sent us birthday cards and Christmas cards signed as your brother. My parents were successful in getting a number of them into "Boys Town" which was a terrific place as they sent two reps to pick them up but first they took them to the best clothing stores in town, completely outfitted them as no child went into Boys Town with their head hung low. My point is that maybe some would want to think of the many homeless children and their needs when spending loads of money on a pet. It doesn't mean to not have a pet but to maybe help those in desperate need and keep things in balance in life. We never had a disappointment with all of the children.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
When I was in school my parents took in children that were in need. They did not charge anyone for their care but instead we were told (there were 4 of us kids) that we were to treat them as our family. We had as many as 3 kids at a time and some sent us birthday cards and Christmas cards signed as your brother. My parents were successful in getting a number of them into "Boys Town" which was a terrific place as they sent two reps to pick them up but first they took them to the best clothing stores in town, completely outfitted them as no child went into Boys Town with their head hung low. My point is that maybe some would want to think of the many homeless children and their needs when spending loads of money on a pet. It doesn't mean to not have a pet but to maybe help those in desperate need and keep things in balance in life. We never had a disappointment with all of the children.
I think you will find that many pet owners with disposable income volunteer/donate in many ways. My big thing has always supporting organizations that fight hunger, through work and donations. Others use their skills in education, helping the disabled, etc. It's a wonderful thing your parents did, and it obviously set a great example to you and your siblings.

I need a pet in my life. I have never been without a pet, ever. It's not a farm animal, and its only job is to be my and my spouse's companion. I will always have a pet in my life, and I will support that pet financially in whatever way I can. I will not dress him up, and I try (but mostly fail) not to anthropomorphize him.

I'm thankful that we have the means in our family to work/donate/support people and children in need, our own pet, our foster pets, and animal shelters. In that order.

And I will take our dog wherever it's permitted to do so, if I feel it would be safe for him and something he would enjoy doing. He's 85 pounds and gets hot easily, so that doesn't happen too often. But I will oppose anyone, no matter how much I appreciate that person, who gripes about it. If they're that opposed, they should work to change the rules of TV or the pet laws.

I know, . I think I'm done!
Old 03-28-2018, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
That is a beautiful thing to share. I remember my aunts talking about our grandparents "taking in" friends from school sometimes for quite long stays. I imagine it was a good person's good works before we had social workers and welfare.

I think I understand your point about pets. People often dress their children in expensive clothes and don't spend TIME with them. Our values are very individual. Some people quietly do kind and wonderful things and keep making this old world a better place. Your heart is good Penn. A pleasure to know you on this forum.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Had to get out the dictionary there CFrance. That word was a whopper! Got it now! Carry on.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Had to get out the dictionary there CFrance. That word was a whopper! Got it now! Carry on.
!!
And I hope you get your next pup soon, Nucky.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I will not dress him up, and I try (but mostly fail) not to anthropomorphize him.
You and R do a lot to help out people in the surrounding communities.

As far as dogs go, in the past few years, you and R have given one dear old golden sanctuary until he passed.
And you fostered another older golden until he was adopted.

You can anthropomorphize Crosby all you want!
Closed Thread

Tags
day, square, dogs, extremely, crowded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.