Visitors to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Default Visitors to The Villages

I never saw such misbehaved children as I did this past week. I have grandkids too and when they visit I make sure that they behave. Last night at Spanish Springs a bunch of kids were climbing all over the band’s instrument cases. When I mentioned it to their dad, his response was that it was ok since “they are only cases”. Yes they are only cases but that doesn’t make them a playground for your kids. They belong to someone else. Tonight at Lake Sumter Landing there were kids climbing inside the Christmas tree. I told their dad that this wasn’t a playground and the kids should not be playing in the tree. His response, “they are tree people”. Another moron! I’m sure if one of those kids got hurt this moron would be the first to bring a lawsuit against us. And what if they damage the branches so that the tree can’t be reused next year? These are the same jerks that turn their kids loose in golf carts and then tear up our golf courses. By the way the Town Centers are not playgrounds. They are for adult dancing. Where has respect for other's property gone? I plead to all residents. If your children are morons (and you know if they are) and they have kids please keep them at home. We paid good money to get away from them.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:02 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Visitors to The Villages

I wonder if some of these morons stole my USA and USMC flags!

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

remember the apple doesn't fall far from the tree....
Old 01-02-2008, 03:55 AM

Seems we need a town watch of some sort. Anything to police and control these stupid parents.

Kids will be kids thats understandable, but when the parents don't police them someone else needs to.

I am for fining the resident who's property they visit. Only after a first written warning.

This is our community and we should have the right to ask for a Village ID, and find where they are staying. Again this is after a first caution and they continue to disrespect properties of others and TV.

If they don't live here ask them to leave. If they refuse and continue to cause problems let the local sheriffs office move them out.

I don't want to sound or appear like Gestapo, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Happy New Year.

PS. One should not do this alone. I am speaking of a group of residents looking to volenteer in a 2 or more person group to police our community. Violence not allowed or accepted.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:27 PM

Gee, and I thought I got away from all this. :dontknow:
Old 01-02-2008, 12:28 PM

It would be nice if there were some type of authority figure at the town squares each night. Not only to police these morons but also to police some of the folks who get drunk. Some of our seniors are becoming a little fragile and they don’t need to have a drunk fall on them or some brat kid running around causing them to trip. We are all here for a good time, but your good time should not be at my expense.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Veteran member

As I posted on another thread. It's a shame the actions of a few punish those who are willing to comply with the law (NYE comes to mind) Or better yet, common sense.

To not deal with the situation isn't going to make it go away--only make it worse. Its a shame to allow something so good and fun, be ruined. Gives me a totally different prospective of life in TV. My reason for wanting to move to TV was to get away from such nonsense.

Too bad for the kids. They grow up to be the adults that get drunk in the squares and intimadate the older folks.
Village of Hemmingway
Old 01-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

We spent a quick overnight in TV on Dec 29 and naturally wound up at Spanish Springs. Yes it was crowded, but it was a pretty well-behaved crowd. It was so good to see so many people dancing. In one group it looked like there was about a 7 yo girl, her mother, her grandmother, and a 4th much older woman all dancing the macarena and having a ball! Made me realize why we bought in TV. Wish I were there now, problems and all.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaladino
I never saw such misbehaved children as I did this past week. I have grandkids too and when they visit I make sure that they behave. Last night at Spanish Springs a bunch of kids were climbing all over the band’s instrument cases. When I mentioned it to their dad, his response was that it was ok since “they are only cases”. Yes they are only cases but that doesn’t make them a playground for your kids. They belong to someone else. Tonight at Lake Sumter Landing there were kids climbing inside the Christmas tree. I told their dad that this wasn’t a playground and the kids should not be playing in the tree. His response, “they are tree people”. Another moron! I’m sure if one of those kids got hurt this moron would be the first to bring a lawsuit against us. And what if they damage the branches so that the tree can’t be reused next year? These are the same jerks that turn their kids loose in golf carts and then tear up our golf courses. By the way the Town Centers are not playgrounds. They are for adult dancing. Where has respect for other's property gone? I plead to all residents. If your children are morons (and you know if they are) and they have kids please keep them at home. We paid good money to get away from them.
Besides just being ignorant about how children should behave, and parenting skills, I bet he had no idea how much cases go for, either, they are not inexpensive things.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Veteran member

I understand that the streets of TV are public, owned and maintained by the County.* But I'm not so sure that the "town squares" are public in the sense of being publicly owned property.* I would guess they are owned and operated by either the CDD or some kind of merchants association.*

I was impressed ("impressed" could be a good thing or a bad thing) during my visit a couple weeks ago that I did not see one police car or police officer in TV during my 5 days.* I suspect that the philosphy is that the great majority of residents and visitors to the Town Squares are comprised of elderly adults who have respect for property and for others and visible policing isn't necessary.*

Not only the residents, but the merchants and CDD should have an interest in discouraging inappropriate behaviors.* There will come a time when either uniformed or plain clothes security will roam around our public areas.* And, unfortunately someone, maybe we, will be paying for it.

I belong to a band where I currently live and I've learned that our insturment cases need to kept in a safe, secure location whereever we perform.* That is sometimes a difficult thing to do.*

One of the most maddening things I encounter is irresponsible parents who let their kids behave like wild dogs in public and DEFEND their actions. :edit: :verymad:
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 01-03-2008, 06:58 PM

The parents of these kids just let them run wild as if the squares were a playground. There was a group of about 12 of us one night at LSL and about 15 kids were climbing all over the grass roof of that little building next to the Xmas tree. Then they started grabbing tree branches and were breaking them. Finally about 4 of us yelled at them simultaniously and they stopped. A little while later, a father, carrying his kid (about 5 or 6) walked right up to the roof and set her on it. No brains at all!!

But that pales when I tell you what I saw at Bravos one night!! Don't sit at table 7. A mother and father and 2 kids were sitting there and the parents were ignoring the kids and just enjoying their wine as nice as can be. The youngest kid, about 3 I would guess has the salt and pepper shakers in his hands banging them on the marble table. I'm waiting for them to break. Still not too bad? The kid then takes the salt shaker and PUTS IT IN HIS MOUTH, smart end first. The parents just ignored it. How rude!

Don't blame the kids, it's the parents!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

It is 100% the parents. I was shopping in a grocery store recently where they had the bins of bulk food items. A mother was shopping and her son, probably about 5 was taking food from the bin and eating it. Well when he took a bite of something and didn't like it, he put the half eaten piece back in the bin. I said something to the mother. I even said please. She walked over to a bin, took out something, bit into it and then threw it back. Then said "don't tell me or my kids what to do". So how can we expect kids to behave when the parents are idiots.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd
It is 100% the parents. I was shopping in a grocery store recently where they had the bins of bulk food items. A mother was shopping and her son, probably about 5 was taking food from the bin and eating it. Well when he took a bite of something and didn't like it, he put the half eaten piece back in the bin. I said something to the mother. I even said please. She walked over to a bin, took out something, bit into it and then threw it back. Then said "don't tell me or my kids what to do". So how can we expect kids to behave when the parents are idiots.
This was in the Villages? Sounds like something that might happen in Las Vegas, New York City, or any number of other places but not so much in TV?

I went to the 2007 movie Sweeney Todd the other day at the Old Mill Playhouse and found it hard to watch because the group of college age or so kids behind me kept kicking the seats. The woman a few seats down from me kept complaining to them but they seemed to keep at it. I thought the best approach was just to ignore them. But, this is probably the worse thing I have encountered from people being rude in TV.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Gold member

In most cases these kids are somewhere else 51 to 50 weeks a year. Perhaps this time of the year the town squares are a good place to stay away from. I know you want to take your well behaved grand kids to the town square. But to other people are your grand kids well behaved?

I have seen people over holidays at the town squares with kids that I wish were somewhere else but I just go home and know that by January 6th or so 99% of them will be elsewhere.

For those of you still up North beware they are on their way back home.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to rsetterlund Send a message via Skype™ to rsetterlund

What you are all talking about is what is happening to our society throughout the country. It appears that no one respects anything or anyone anymore. I believe it is going to get worse and do not know what to do.

It seems to me that as a group there should be some way to get control. I guess one would be for a curfew, no one under 21 allowed out of their homes after 6 PM. Just kidding. But something should be possible and should be done. Maybe we could start a topic.

The problem is today even adults understand that there is no consequence's for their actions and their kids are worse. Society has to start showing that certain behavior will not be tolerated. The big problem will be that everyone is going to have to suffer for a few, for a short time until the problem has been corrected. But if this does not happen then I think things will get so bad that everyone will suffer for a lot longer.

Just my thoughts.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.