Door Locks

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2019, 09:34 AM
Default Door Locks

I will be taking possession of my Villages home on Monday. In any other home, I've purchased I have always got the door locks re-keyed or changed the hardware. Has anyone else done this or am I just being paranoid?
Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeint View Post
I will be taking possession of my Villages home on Monday. In any other home, I've purchased I have always got the door locks re-keyed or changed the hardware. Has anyone else done this or am I just being paranoid?
They are Kwikset keys. You can rekey the locks yourself. Just go to any of the hardware stores in the area and bring you existing key with so they know which kind you have. The will cut you a random new key different from your existing one. They will show you how to rekey your locks with the new key, it's pretty easy.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

I agree with you, I always change the locks, as well as the garage door remote codes. Previously I actually had keys for 4 or 5 neighbors houses, for emergency situations. If the previous owner of the home had similar arrangements, then there could very well be other keys our there, same goes for the outside garage door opener codes, etc.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We changed to the push button combination locks, no more keys needed. They can accept 23 different combo's. The combo's can be added or deleated at will.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 01-25-2019, 12:06 PM
Location: Brooklyn, Staten Island, Mount Hope, NY, Villa De Laguna

I changed front door to push button combo lock and rekeyed other doors around house. You never know who will have a key to a house you buy so better safe than sorry
Old 01-25-2019, 12:09 PM

When we took possession in November the builder re-keyed the locks after our walk through. We also received the setting device so we can change them our selves it we want to. I have the same locks on one door to the house up north.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I agree with you, I always change the locks, as well as the garage door remote codes. Previously I actually had keys for 4 or 5 neighbors houses, for emergency situations. If the previous owner of the home had similar arrangements, then there could very well be other keys our there, same goes for the outside garage door opener codes, etc.
Great idea I didn't think about the garage door code. I'm also going to look at the push button locks. I don't like to carry around a bunch of keys
Old 01-25-2019, 03:56 PM

If it is a kwikset smartkey lock, A rekey kit is available at lowes and other hardware stores

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kwikset-Re-...8aAofhEALw_wcB
Old 01-25-2019, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Village Community Development Districts
Old 01-25-2019, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

About 6 months ago we purchased a resale property and some suggested doing a do it yourself system. I was tempted but in the end based on a recommendation here I hired a young man by the name of Neal Purlee he was excellent. He’s a native of the area a good old southern boy, his company is called Dixie Safe and Lock. His phone number is 1-352-874-0576. Best part he gave us some handy tips and tricks I could have not learned had I did a DIY kit.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeint View Post
I never changed my locks, keep in mind that locks only stop honest people.
But if it makes you feel better change the locks. Welcome to TV you’ll love it here.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
I never changed my locks, keep in mind that locks only stop honest people.
But if it makes you feel better to change the locks. Welcome to TV you’ll love it here.
Locks will also keep out someone who has a duplicate key... But you are correct if they want to get in they will find a way, why make it easy?
Closed Thread

Tags
home, door, locks, hardware, re-keyed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.