how cold is cold?

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Gold member
Default how cold is cold?

In my seemingly neverending packing duties for our move, I have finally hit the coat closet. I have been told it gets cold in the winter. That is a bit too vague...how cold does it really get? And in the evenings other times of the year, would I need a coat or would a sweater do. I HAVE to cut back on what I take so I need to eliminate as much as I can. Very hard for me to do, so I would appreciate a reality check. Thanks so much!!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Sage
Default Better safe than sorry.

Check this out. Scroll down to the calendar if it does not come up automatically.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/....html#calendar

Check out the first 15 days and NIGHTS .

Remember one thing, when it says 50 degrees that is at 2:00 PM for three minutes... and add some NE wind???
Old 05-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Gold member

thank you...thats a great site!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I accidently packed my apres-ski jacket (sheared lamb). I was going to give it to Goodwill. Fortunately, we hit a cold spell before I got around to it. I NEEDED that jacket! It wasn't so much the cold itself but the dampness of the air and the wind that made it really miserable. (BTW -- I rarely get cold; even the A/C in the rec centers isn't cold enough for me.) So, bring one decent jacket, something to cover your ears if you plan to use a golf cart and a pair of light to medium-weight gloves..

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-09-2011, 02:39 PM

I brought my Columbia Jacket.It has a liner I can take out. The other warm one's I gave to my little sis.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

You have gotten good advise here already, so I would only add that you might want to consider that you might visit a cold location... I don't need those winter clothes in TV, but I sure need them when we go back to Chicago for visits....Brrrrrrrr
Old 05-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Gold member

I am from Chicago and I know what you mean!
Old 05-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

We have needed winter coats, hats, gloves, and scarves in TV during the evenings (or early mornings) in TV during the coldest part of the winter; especially when out in a golf cart. (Even a short fur coat - I wouldn't get rid of it if you have one - can come in handy during that part of the year). Happily, this is just a short period of time. But, as mentioned above, they are also sometimes needed for travel.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have been in Fl when it was in the 30's.
Also the longer you live in Fl I think the colder it will feels when the temp drops.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Sage

I would bring one really warm coat for three reasons, two of which have been mentioned: travel and the occasional cold snap in central FL. The third reason is, in FL, you'll have a hard time finding a local store that sells a really warm coat like you're used to having.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Jeff Bieberfeld
Default coats

I left my very warm winter coat to my son in Pennsylvania; the first winter here I had a fleece lined light jacket, it was ok. The second winter here I bought an Izod winter coat and a cap with earflaps. And for this winter I may have to get gloves also. I keep an ice-scraper in the trunk of the car....just in case.
And my wife has a long quilted down coat, and uses it constantly in the winter.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Sage
Default Do not forget the blizzard of 2010 in TV

Ok, fine, title may be a slight exaggeration...... we may not have been snowed it but you get the idea. My roof in Mallory after the January blizzard.....

The Villages Florida
Old 05-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
Ok, fine, title may be a slight exaggeration...... we may not have been snowed it but you get the idea. My roof in Mallory after the January blizzard.....

The Villages Florida
Now that's my kinda blizzard! Here in the Buffalo area we would call that a "Dream-Come-True Blizzard"!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

Guess I should dig my ice scraper out of the dumpster and salvage my scarfs and gloves from my donations to Purple Heart.

Thanks for the advice.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.