Down Size

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2018, 01:12 AM
Veteran member
Default Down Size

Anyone downsize after living here a while? Three Bedrooms and three baths are getting difficult to handle now with the Wifes medical issues and me being 75.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts

In my opinion, it wouldn't make sense to buy another house. Assisted living may be an option, but your wife's medical issues may prohibit it. You may want to contact "aplaceformom.com" for free advice on the senior living options in the area for you.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
Anyone downsize after living here a while? Three Bedrooms and three baths are getting difficult to handle now with the Wifes medical issues and me being 75.
Yes. Plenty do and it is much easier to move within The Villages than move TO The Villages. Moving costs are less and selling your home will probably be easy and many smaller homes are available. Wishing you a happy outcome.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:25 AM
fw102807

I have heard of lots of people who have done this
Old 01-31-2018, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I would much rather downsize than move into assisted living. If your wife is able to get around, but is limited in what she is able to do when it comes to keeping up a big home such as yours, then I would definitely think seriously about moving into a Villa in a location which is close to shopping and medical facilities. I have friends who are annual renters and some of the Villa's they have had are absolutely delightful. I have also heard that most of the residential villa owners are elderly and take care of each other, by that I mean they check on each other and help out when they can.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-31-2018, 07:58 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

You could buy a court yard villa and have no outside maintenance
Old 01-31-2018, 08:06 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
You could buy a court yard villa and have no outside maintenance
???
We have a courtyard villa and still have plenty of outside maintenance. We are still responsible for lawn and landscaping and also painting both the house and the wall.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
???
We have a courtyard villa and still have plenty of outside maintenance. We are still responsible for lawn and landscaping and also painting both the house and the wall.
I also have a courtyard villa. I don't see how moving to a courtyard villa at age 75 with an ailing wife is going to reduce your maintenance enough to justify all of the hassle and cost of moving. And, it is not correct that most villas are occupied by elderly people who take care of each other. Many of them are occupied by snowbirds, single women, or people with dogs. That is the situation in my neighborhood.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Why not hire company to come take care of cooking and housekeeping. Have it for my parent, cause no one is putting them in a home. Many good companies out there. Your other option with current house is live in, less money since their rent is free. There are businesses with that option also
Old 02-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

First, to answer your question, yes many people have downsized that we know personally. The neighborhood villas seem to,be most popular because the outside maintenance can be hired done much cheaper than a designer or premier home and much easier to do everyday household chores. I have often wondered why The Villages don’t have some “regular condos” which would suit many in your situation IMHO. There would be a market for them for not only downsizing for full-time residents but snowbirds too.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

We have toyed with the thought of downsizing and have concluded we will not be able to duplicate what we have enjoyed these last 15 years.

If and when the time comes we can close off a room or two.

We already, like most/many do here in TV, have the outside maintenance already being done.

In our case and preferences, we just love what we have and have dismissed ever leaving it.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
First, to answer your question, yes many people have downsized that we know personally. The neighborhood villas seem to,be most popular because the outside maintenance can be hired done much cheaper than a designer or premier home and much easier to do everyday household chores. I have often wondered why The Villages don’t have some “regular condos” which would suit many in your situation IMHO. There would be a market for them for not only downsizing for full-time residents but snowbirds too.
I couldn't agree more. We have often wondered the same thing. You would think that condo style living - look at Lakeside Landings for example - would appeal to a lot of folks in our demographic. We would happily pay a condo fee in addition to an amenities fee and not have to worry about outside maintenance or dealing with contractors.

It would also make for a quieter environment if an entire village was condos, because outside work in your neighborhood would be done on one day, not a little bit seven days a week as we experience now.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:25 PM
Gold member

We moved our Mom to Buffalo Crossings, ALF at age 91.
She waited way too long. There are many wonderful couples in assisted living facilities here in their 70’s. They have cars, golf carts and still go to the rec centers and have very full lives.
Buffalo Crosdings, for example, brings in preformers from the squares 3 times a week.
I hope that my husband and I will be wise enough to make the move when the time is right.
My Mom waited too long and was unable to take advantage of all that was offered. But she sure enjoyed the fabulous food and the friends she made. (We think the chef there runs one of the best dining rooms in The Villages. Better than many of the popular restaurants!)
I say consider all options! It certainly is good idea to check and see what is out there!
Closed Thread

Tags
handle, wifes, issues, medical, difficult

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.