Downspoats where do they go?

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2020, 05:00 PM
Default Downspoats where do they go?

At our house, the downspouts by the entryway walk go down into the ground. Where in the world do they go to? It appears one may be clogged, any hope for unclogging it, or should I just put in an elbow and let the water run above ground?
Old 09-28-2020, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

They are French drains, mine exit out at street through up pipe with grate covering. They pull water away from you’re house for better drainage.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:08 PM

Any advice on finding the exit point? House is about 15 years old.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evluoma View Post
At our house, the downspouts by the entryway walk go down into the ground. Where in the world do they go to? It appears one may be clogged, any hope for unclogging it, or should I just put in an elbow and let the water run above ground?
You can remove the drain pipe and use blower and blow them out. Or you can turn the water hose on and run it down the pipe the water pressure from the hose should unclog. Some might be connected to street drain? If you see water spewing out in you’re yard you may have to clean the drain cause of the up pipe. Leaves, pebbles, and shingle sand will accumulate there.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Any advice on finding the exit point? House is about 15 years old.
What type of house? CYV or designer? CYV it will be out at edge of the street probably under bushes it you have any or covered up by rocks? Designer could be exiting in the grass somewhere out front or connected to street drain which I doubt? But it could. Run water hose down and turn it if it don’t back up or show up in yard it’s probably connected to street drain?
Old 09-28-2020, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Where do buried rain downspouts go?

And other threads..... Search feature on this site.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Thanks for asking was wondering about this
Old 09-28-2020, 06:15 PM

Our drain goes under our flower bed to the middle of the front yard. It is capped with a bubbler that will pop up and let the water flow into the yard. It could also be capped with a grate instead. It's possible the grass has grown over the grate or bubbler preventing it from letting the water discharge. When ours gets grown over my gardener (hubby) takes a screwdriver and taps to find it. Of course he knows the vicinity to look for it. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:53 PM
Default Thanks for the advice

I got access to the beginning of the drain, fille with debris including leaves, shingle gravel and roots. Got as much out as i could, but it is obviously filled with roots of all shapes and sizes. I have decided to not use them and instead have them drain above ground. Much easier to keep an eye on and much easier to maintain! Thanks for all the advice.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
If you have buried downspout drains would the locations show on the house blueprints?
Old 09-28-2020, 08:42 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
If you have buried downspout drains would the locations show on the house blueprints?
If you have gutters all the way around your house they are most likely added after the house was first sold.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

The one at the back of our CYV was clogged. We ended up using Florida Rooter, who was a great guy by the way. We looked around and could not figure out where the pipe exited. It went under the back wall of the villa to parts unknown. Darrel found a rag in the pipe and some roots, got it clear though. Works great now.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
You can remove the drain pipe and use blower and blow them out. Or you can turn the water hose on and run it down the pipe the water pressure from the hose should unclog. Some might be connected to street drain? If you see water spewing out in you’re yard you may have to clean the drain cause of the up pipe. Leaves, pebbles, and shingle sand will accumulate there.
They most likely drain into a pop up drain in your lawn. They were installed while your brick was done. The grass has most likely grown over the drain. If you look carefully you may find the drain in your lawn and you can clear the grass that has grown around it. There is also a removable cover so you can clean inside. Hope this helps
Old 09-29-2020, 08:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
They are French drains, mine exit out at street through up pipe with grate covering. They pull water away from you’re house for better drainage.
I think that’s what they’re talking about, they’re plugged between the downspout & the street!
Old 09-29-2020, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

You can do either one. Downspouts directed into the ground or underground receptacle need to be cleaned out or unclogged every year.

Tags
ground, downspoats, unclogging, put, elbow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.