Driver license for golf cart ?

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Sage
Default Driver license for golf cart ?

Just read of an online news paper that a villages resident was being held on 10k bond for operating a golf cart with a permanently revoked driver license.

Now it starts--a 14 year doesn't need a license, duh

Just met a person who is operating a golf cart because his license was revoked for medical reasons--guess he's in deep poop if he gets caught.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:10 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I read the same article this morning. What was he really charged for? How do you get charged for operating a machine that doesn't require a drivers license?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

Could it have been a street legal?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I read that too....PERMANENTLY REVOKED must be far different than driving without a license.

He looked a little ummm "frazzled"?????
Old 01-23-2015, 09:34 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Could it have been a street legal?
That had to be it. I forgot about the registered carts. I think you're right. And as someone else stated, he did look a little under the weather.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Gold member

Although no license is required for golf carts, anyone with a suspended license is prohibited from operating any motor vehicle on public roads. Golf carts fall under the definition of "motor vehicle".
Old 01-23-2015, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
Although no license is required for golf carts, anyone with a suspended license is prohibited from operating any motor vehicle on public roads. Golf carts fall under the definition of "motor vehicle".
I think that explanation is correct, not that he was driving a street legal.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
I think you are close to the right answer. Although not 100% sure I seem to recall if you are going more than 20 mph in a golf cart (not street legal) you can be sited for an unregistered motor vehicle. Thus if driving over 20mph puts you on a motor vehicle in the eyes of the law and you don't have a drivers license BINGO!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Eternal Member

I just read the online paper article and it was very incomplete and lacking in much detail.

The policeman had to have a valid reason for pulling the cart over (speeding, driving erratically, etc) and it had to be on the public roadway in order to ask to see a license. The multi-modal trails are on private property and only cross public roadways for a tiny distance at Village entrances.

I guess if a person had a license permanently revoked it had to be for something really bad or very repetitive. However, how does a judge think that taking a driver license away will actually stop a person from driving?

Once again, a very poorly written article and very incomplete article.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Sage

If you have a stroke, the medical people must contact the DMV and your license is permanently revoked, you can appeal the revocation every 5 years

They don't notify you of the revocation, its done via the DMV or licensing agency electronically
Old 01-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Veteran member

IMO a valid drivers license should be required for ANYONE operating a golf cart NOT on a golf course. Some stupid dickweed almost took us out this morning when my wife and I were on our way to play golf. He came speeding around a curve in the very middle of the UN-STRIPED cart path and had I not been alert enough to stomp on our brakes we would have collided. Maybe I should just get some of those Ben Hur hubcaps like the car in Grease had.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Sage

At least all golf carts should have some kind of Village ID on them. There were a few hit & runs a couple of months ago-how many blue golf carts are there in TV
Old 01-23-2015, 01:57 PM
Gold member

Chapter 316.2126 of the Florida Statutes says:
“Golf cart” means a motor vehicle as defined in s. 320.01(22)

And section 322.34 says:
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), any person whose driver license or driving privilege has been canceled, suspended, or revoked, except a “habitual traffic offender” as defined in s. 322.264, who drives a vehicle upon the highways of this state while such license or privilege is canceled, suspended, or revoked is guilty of a moving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:05 PM
Email Reported As Spam

so it seems that some posters want more policing and more regulations pertaining to the operation of a golf cart. Now let me see a person is required to take a driver's test and eye test etc to get a license and every 4-6 years they have to re-apply. If during the interim they are arrested for violations they get points on their license and can have some removed if they take a course and pass a test. there are traffic signals all across America, speed limits and cameras watching our every move. police patrol highways 24/7 yet accidents seem to continue

As pertains to The Villages like ever where else the rules of the Road apply but some people simply DON'T LIKE RULES and that both on a cartpath and on the Florida Turnpike accounts for some of the problem

The village chicken is spot on if our license is revoked whether you are 14 or 104 it applies to all vehicles listed as motor vehicles. In other words while a license is not required to operate a golf cart violations revoking one's license apply to golfcarts because they are defined as motor vehicles under the law
Old 01-23-2015, 02:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeagle65 View Post
IMO a valid drivers license should be required for ANYONE operating a golf cart NOT on a golf course. Some stupid dickweed almost took us out this morning when my wife and I were on our way to play golf. He came speeding around a curve in the very middle of the UN-STRIPED cart path and had I not been alert enough to stomp on our brakes we would have collided. Maybe I should just get some of those Ben Hur hubcaps like the car in Grease had.
I understand your frustration but I don't understand how requiring a valid drivers license would have prevented your experience this morning.

Do we really need more regulations in our lives?

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.