Driverless taxi - none too soon

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default Driverless taxi - none too soon

I asked about this concept coming to the Villages two years ago. For better or worse, it’s finally here. Well, the testing will start this year in TV.

While I can still drive, many can’t or should not so I am hopeful this concept will be beneficial to those in need in TV. I would love to see the computer code for handling roundabouts.

https://voyage.auto/
Old 01-10-2018, 10:51 AM
fw102807

That is way cool
Old 01-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Judging from my observations driving around TV. many cars have behaved and appeared driverless for quite some time!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:00 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,003 Times in 1,202 Posts

I don't think they know what they are getting into, driving on these streets with drivers we have here.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemorkam View Post
I don't think they know what they are getting into, driving on these streets with drivers we have here.
It, quite frankly, scares the hell out of me! I do think it is needed; there is a Vision Club in TV where people are having to ask for rides to doctor's appointments, eye appointments etc., or to just get to the stores for food. But, DRIVERLESS - scary proposition, plus is driverless better than hiring a taxi with a DRIVER to do the same thing?

I am a huge fan of technology, but I am not sure about driverless cars.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Coolness factor definitely 100 but other than taking a job from a real taxi driver why bother? There really is no advantage. Not pollution advantage, no employment advantage. What would the "positives" be? It's not like this is a major metropolitan area with a cab or driver shortage.

---------
My user name should be EdF(formerly from)NJ and glad to be gone. [emoji3]
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Coolness factor definitely 100 but other than taking a job from a real taxi driver why bother? There really is no advantage. Not pollution advantage, no employment advantage. What would the "positives" be? It's not like this is a major metropolitan area with a cab or driver shortage.
---------
My user name should be EdF(formerly from)NJ and glad to be gone. [emoji3]
Totally agree - however, the technology would be superb if used on the battlefield to defeat terrorists. Or even used in a major city in a hostage situation. The technology itself is incredible, but totally wasted as a taxi - just my opinion! I was around the industry when GPS was first conceived for use in the Defense Industry and that technology was found to have commercial uses, so maybe driverless is on the books for other uses.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-10-2018, 01:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I asked about this concept coming to the Villages two years ago. For better or worse, it’s finally here. Well, the testing will start this year in TV.

While I can still drive, many can’t or should not so I am hopeful this concept will be beneficial to those in need in TV. I would love to see the computer code for handling roundabouts.

https://voyage.auto/
Become an Uber Diver, follow this Taxi then when it hits someone in the roundabout (not the taxi’s fault because a majority’s of Villagers don’t know the rules) pick up the fare and complete the ride. I assume the driverless can automically cal the police????
Old 01-10-2018, 01:47 PM
fw102807

Coolness factor is enough for me. I want to be able to tell my friends I live in a retirement community that has driverless taxis. No matter how much you try to describe The Villages people still have a preconceived notion of rocking chairs and chair exercises.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

As most driverless cars are in the testing stage, a driver is required to be present to override the system as will be the case in TV. So, to have a taxi service as the test vehicle is a way to reduce development costs. They can recover some of the operating cost by charging for rides.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:26 PM

difficult to get around the villages if you don't drive. maybe that is why people who should not be driving anymore continue to do so.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseydog View Post
difficult to get around the villages if you don't drive. maybe that is why people who should not be driving anymore continue to do so.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

I would like to see the financial justification for a driver-less vehicle.
Back up driver required? = TILT!!!! = no financial justification!!
Old 01-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

I would not want to be behind one waiting to get on the turnabouts.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I would like to see the financial justification for a driver-less vehicle.
Back up driver required? = TILT!!!! = no financial justification!!
I believe this is more about proof of concept than turning a profit.
Closed Thread

Tags
concept, hopeful, drive, can’t, beneficial

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.