Drivers Beware

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Default Drivers Beware

For those of you who travel to the North on RT 301 or coming South, be advised of the exit for RT 24 towards Gainsville.

The following is what occured to me last September 09:

While exiting onto RT 24 from RT 301 South ( I assume its in Starkey) Alachua Cty) we were stopped by a local heavy (FAT really cop in farmers outfit suspenders and all).

We were stopped doing as he claims 45 in a 15MPH zone. We were not permitted to view the radar. In addition the school was boarded up and closed.

So we bit the bullet and left with the ticket. It demanded I go to court in Jan 2010 and pay a fine in excess of $450.00

Feeling ripped off I found an atty called Steinberg who proceeded to ask for a fee of 150.00 to rep me and claimed to know everything about this town and that I wouldn't need to be present. In addition he was assuring me that the ridiculous fine would be lowered considerably.

Well to my suprise or should I say my stupidity. I find today that my fine may exceed 1000.00.

Oh the atty! Well he claims I am lucky that I didn't go to jail, school or have points added to my Florida DL. What a rip off. So beware. Looks like my Florida DL is gonna get burned. No way am I paying this 1000.00+ to anyone.

Has anyone else experienced this
Old 01-09-2010, 11:25 PM

Bubba: You were in Waldo, one of the state's finest speed traps. AAA has cited that town and Lawtey, north on 301, as such and has posted billboards near both towns.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Platinum member

Stark and a couple other towns in the same area are natorious for zero tolerance speeding. This has been discussed frequently on TOTV recently. If you speed thru there... you WILL get ticketed. It does seem like a ripoff and one could assume the cops and lawyers are in cohoots with each other... never will be able to prove it though. Real sorry you have to go thru this. I try to stay away from that area if I need to drive north.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
Stark and a couple other towns in the same area are natorious for zero tolerance speeding. This has been discussed frequently on TOTV recently. If you speed thru there... you WILL get ticketed. It does seem like a ripoff and one could assume the cops and lawyers are in cohoots with each other... never will be able to prove it though. Real sorry you have to go thru this. I try to stay away from that area if I need to drive north.
Yea that why we start North from I-75 and RT 24 thru Gainesville to RT 301.

What upsets us both is the 15MPH sign doesn't exist and the school is not active. They purposely use it to nail drivers.

BTW the speed limit before and after the school is 45MPH, the same as we were driving.

Worse case scenario is that they suspend/revoke my Florida DL. As a former owner of a trucking firm with cross country drivers access to CDL from other states without reciprocity to Florida were available. So if I still need to drive, well U get the picture.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Eternal Member

Last time down I saw cops giving ticket to folks right at that turn onto 24. The speed changes are ridiculous, and virtually impossible to adhere to. It seems to change up and down every few feet. I don't recall the 15 MPH drop, but I am sure it is there. Too bad. I'm guessing you're pretty well screwed one way or the other.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Sage

Note to self: Avoid route 24!

Wow! That is ridiculus. I'm sure some of the goodie two shoes will say "that's why there is a speed limit, obey the law and avoid the ticket" but seriously to drop the speed from 45 to 15 then back to 45 is a TRAP. Unless you know about it, no one is looking at speed signs constantly to make sure they're not going even 1 MPH over. No one!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Welcome to Waldo!
I was advised about it, when I used to stay in Gainesville when working with my Brigade at Camp Blanding. Avoid that place by any means available!

Army Guy
Old 01-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Gold member

The town of Waldo was actually featured on a 60 Minutes segment about the # 1 Speed Trap City in the country.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbalarry View Post
Looks like my Florida DL is gonna get burned. No way am I paying this 1000.00+ to anyone.
Aren't you concerned about jail time? Wouldn't this be contempt of court?

BTW it says on the back of your ticket that the fine "may" be considerably higher if you opt to go to court.

I got a ticket in "Sumterville" and was going to take it to court. I spoke with the ticket office about the procedure and the lady said in a very serious tone, "did you read the back of the ticket?"
Old 01-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Administrator

hmmm. Sounds like intimidation. Official oppression.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Default Fightyourticket.com?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbalarry View Post
For those of you who travel to the North on RT 301 or coming South, be advised of the exit for RT 24 towards Gainsville.

The following is what occured to me last September 09:

While exiting onto RT 24 from RT 301 South ( I assume its in Starkey) Alachua Cty) we were stopped by a local heavy (FAT really cop in farmers outfit suspenders and all).

We were stopped doing as he claims 45 in a 15MPH zone. We were not permitted to view the radar. In addition the school was boarded up and closed.

So we bit the bullet and left with the ticket. It demanded I go to court in Jan 2010 and pay a fine in excess of $450.00

Feeling ripped off I found an atty called Steinberg w
proceeded to ask for a fee of 150.00 to rep me and claimed to know everything about this town and that I wouldn't need to be present. In addition he was assuring me that the ridiculous fine would be lowered considerably.

Well to my suprise or should I say my stupidity. I find today that my fine may exceed 1000.00.

Oh the atty! Well he claims I am lucky that I didn't go to jail, school or have points added to my Florida DL. What a rip off. So beware. Looks like my Florida DL is gonna get burned. No way am I paying this 1000.00+ to anyone.

Has anyone else experienced this
google shows several speed trap registries, news stories, stats-by-state and city-by-city lists

There are organizations devoted to motorists' rights and of course
banner ads for legal reresentation.

One firm is similar to Steinburg but is Fineburg.

BEWARE ALSO that they have a trap that catches those who fail tomchange lanes for a police car on the roadside. $96!!!

We prefer 301 but will be very careful.
L&L
Old 01-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Veteran member

Route 301 has three speedtrap towns..waldo, starke, and, my favorite, Lawty..they all ticket at one hair over the speed limit...so I try and behave since we frequently use 301 for the privilege of sitting in traffic jam in Georgia and Virginia. When going through these towns, I have learned to slow and go just under the posted limit. Have seen lots of cars from out of state blow past me only to be sitting a mile or so down the road getting their "welcome to florida" deal so a word to wise, slow it down, or pay the freight. My favorite was a guy from New Jersey who gave me the finger as he went past me as I was slowing just before Lawty...he must have hit Lawty going over 65. He's probably still in jail.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 01-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdraig View Post
My favorite was a guy from New Jersey who gave me the finger as he went past me as I was slowing just before Lawty...he must have hit Lawty going over 65. He's probably still in jail.
I love it when that happens
Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Default Help jacksonville

HI, wll be down soon. Need help from NY. I have to go to Jacksonville for the first week down. Has anyone tried going from here.
Thanks to all for your help as always.

County 466AWildwood, FL

1. Head east on Co 466A/Co Rd 466A toward Morse Blvd
Continue to follow Co Rd 466A 4.4 mi
2. Continue onto W Miller St 0.8 mi
3. Turn right at Citrus Blvd/FL-25 S/FL-500 E/US-27 S/US-441 S
Continue to follow FL-25 S/FL-500 E/US-27 S/US-441 S 2.7 mi
4. Turn left at FL-500 E/North Blvd W/US-441 S
Continue to follow FL-500 E/US-441 S 18.5 mi
5. Take the FL-46 exit toward Mt Dora/Sanford 0.2 mi
6. Turn left at FL-46 E 18.1 mi
7. Turn left to merge onto I-4 E toward Daytona Beach 29.1 mi
8. Take the exit on the left onto I-95 N toward Jacksonville
ABOUT 3:10 HR
Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwbowl View Post
HI, wll be down soon. Need help from NY. I have to go to Jacksonville for the first week down. Has anyone tried going from here.
Thanks to all for your help as always.

County 466AWildwood, FL

1. Head east on Co 466A/Co Rd 466A toward Morse Blvd
Continue to follow Co Rd 466A 4.4 mi
2. Continue onto W Miller St 0.8 mi
3. Turn right at Citrus Blvd/FL-25 S/FL-500 E/US-27 S/US-441 S
Continue to follow FL-25 S/FL-500 E/US-27 S/US-441 S 2.7 mi
4. Turn left at FL-500 E/North Blvd W/US-441 S
Continue to follow FL-500 E/US-441 S 18.5 mi
5. Take the FL-46 exit toward Mt Dora/Sanford 0.2 mi
6. Turn left at FL-46 E 18.1 mi
7. Turn left to merge onto I-4 E toward Daytona Beach 29.1 mi
8. Take the exit on the left onto I-95 N toward Jacksonville
ABOUT 3:10 HR
Instead of using RT 46 to get to I-95 why not try using RT 40.
Fl-25 to Cr-42 (rt on 42)
Cr-42 to Cr-19 (left on 19)
Cr-19 to S Fairview Ave (right on Fairview)
Follow Fairview Ave to RT 40.
Follow 40 to I -95 at Ormand Beach.

Good luck and safe travels.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.