Driveway work - Street parking

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2021, 05:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts
Default Driveway work - Street parking

We are having our driveway sealed. Tat will require us to not park on the driveway, keep the car on the street for a few days.
Besides our neighbors, do we need to let anyone in The Villages know or get permission to park on the street? Or do we park someplace else?
Old 10-26-2021, 07:44 AM

We parked one car on the street during our first week we moved in. With the moving truck, stuff, more stuff, and a second car, driveway space was limited.

A week or so later, we got an official mailing advising us of our errant ways as a villager.

So, I suppose it is improper, but I don't know that you have options. We asked if we could park for a few days at the unused spaces at the neighborhood pool -- we were told No. We asked if we could park for a few days at the unused spaces at the regional rec. center -- we were told No.

In my neighborhood, when someone has the garage or driveway painted (or just has moved in) they park on the road. I understand the reason, and I don't complain. I don't know if others complain. At worst, you'll be sent a notice of your abhorrent behavior and swift admonishment to not do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
We are having our driveway sealed. Tat will require us to not park on the driveway, keep the car on the street for a few days.
Besides our neighbors, do we need to let anyone in The Villages know or get permission to park on the street? Or do we park someplace else?
Old 10-26-2021, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:

We all have work done to our homes-painting etc. We HAD a neighbor, who was a real class act. He would send a nice note sorry for the inconvenience etc. Far nicer than another new neighbor who got a pool etc and regularly they start before the proper time which I think is 8:00 and they leave a mess and there are regularly trucks blocking our drive. A simple letter makes people far more willing to put up with inconvenience.

As far as parking on the street, the Villages is not out to get you. Sealed drive should be obvious to anyone as to why. Beware, as mom said wipe your tires. I just pressure washed my cement drive. I would not be happy if you leave black tire marks on it.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:23 AM
Sage

The only streets the villages can restrict are the villa streets. The rest are regulated by the county they are in. Public streets maintained by taxpayer dollars. Park where you need to as long as it's legal.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,929 Times in 2,454 Posts

If there no signs it’s not against law to park in the street. People do it all the time when they have 3 or more vehicles and garage full junk with 1 1/2 car garage. Now if you have diamond lanes on you’re street then it may be illegal to block diamond lane???? But, some even do that. Got person in my neighborhood that has his drive way all prettied up and refuses to park in his driveway so he had his yard bricked in and parks on the bricks.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission
Old 10-26-2021, 12:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
there are regularly trucks blocking our drive.
Our house was the first one built on our street. When they started building the other houses, the workers would often park in front of our house and block our driveway. When we asked whose car it was, the workers would pretend they didn't understand English.

I called the Wildwood police and asked them to have the car towed. As soon as the police car appeared on our street, the workers quickly disappeared inside the houses they were working on. Then the owner of the vehicle blocking our driveway came out and moved his car away from our house.

It never happened again.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Why not ask a neighbor if you can park in their driveway? Oftentimes, people will use their golf cart, and if you park on their driveway, you can park close to the street so they can get out of their garage. I’ve never cared to park on the street, as it seems like it could get hit easier.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:44 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

The first year that I rented here long before buying, I had a class B motorhome which is a van conversion. I drove down in it and parked it in the driveway. I was the first tenant in the new owners home and I was never told that I couldn't park an RV in the driveway and I don't think the owner knew either but he should have. Anyway I got a knock on the door from a compliance guy telling me I had to take it to a lot somewhere and would then have to rent a car. I called the sherif's department and asked if I was allowed to park on the street and his answer was "there is no law against it as long as you are not blocking the stop signs or hydrant but The Villages don't like parking on the street" that was in Sunset Point. So, I parked on the street, it was a cul-de-sac, the next day I went to each neighbor and asked would they prefer that I park in the driveway or the street, all of them said the driveway including the one that turned me in. Problem solved.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
If there no signs it’s not against law to park in the street. People do it all the time when they have 3 or more vehicles and garage full junk with 1 1/2 car garage. Now if you have diamond lanes on you’re street then it may be illegal to block diamond lane???? But, some even do that. Got person in my neighborhood that has his drive way all prettied up and refuses to park in his driveway so he had his yard bricked in and parks on the bricks.
Years ago, I requested and received a copy of the New York driving violations law. I don't recall why. I probably was fighting another ticket. I do not know Florida law but, in most cases the police are not out to get you. I was surprised that in New York you cannot leave your car in one spot for 24 hours. It is called storing your car on the street.
They can also ticket you for a pebble chip in your windshield. I would not be surprised to find the laws are similar in Florida.

No one is perfect. I don't even claim to be perfect. Neighbors tattling on each other?
Do we really want that? A simple guide for all. Think would I want someone doing that to me? Is there a more considerate way to do whatever?
Old 10-27-2021, 05:43 AM

You need know ones permission. There are no restrictions on parking on the street providing it is not an RV or commercial vehicle
Old 10-27-2021, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Ask your neighbor if you can park in their driveway overnight, then move it to the street early in the morning.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:11 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Not too many streets(I can't think of any) in TV have diamond lanes in the front of houses. Usually on the main streets behind the homes.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:44 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

We had a contractor drop a utility trailer in our cul-de-sac, where it sat for two weeks. When I called the District about their blocking the street, I was told there was nothing the District could do about it.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Years ago, I requested and received a copy of the New York driving violations law. I don't recall why. I probably was fighting another ticket. I do not know Florida law but, in most cases the police are not out to get you. I was surprised that in New York you cannot leave your car in one spot for 24 hours. It is called storing your car on the street.
They can also ticket you for a pebble chip in your windshield. I would not be surprised to find the laws are similar in Florida.

No one is perfect. I don't even claim to be perfect. Neighbors tattling on each other?
Do we really want that? A simple guide for all. Think would I want someone doing that to me? Is there a more considerate way to do whatever?
Agreed. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. I would always choose first to parley with the neighbors, and would involve the authorities only as a last resort.

Interesting about that rock chip thing though. I was in a small town in Wisconsin some years back and got a ticket for parking too CLOSE to the curb. I later learned that such tickets were common for people driving a vehicle with an out-of-state license plate. Locals were more or less exempt.
Closed Thread

Tags
driveway, street, park, neighbors, days

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.