Driving from CT to TV

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Easiest way is 95 to I10 to 75 South to Florida Tpke a short distance to 301 to 466A or further down on 301 to 466. I would never again drive on 301 South. When you drive thru Starke and other small towns the chances of getting a ticket with an out of state plate are very good. That is how these towns support themselves.
I know about tickets, I lived in Georgia for ten years and drove a Corvette. However, what I learned was, to drive slower. Going south on Hwy 301 from I-10 to Ocala is 82 miles, from that same point west on I-10 to Lake City and then I-75 south to Ocala is 132 miles. I grew up on the west coast of Florida and have been up and down Hwy 301 a thousand times without a ticket. I think driving an extra 50 miles is a bit much to avoid slowing down, but that's just me.

I also like going through Starke because I usually get there about lunch time from Savannah. They have a Captain D's on the left side across from Walmart, it's nice getting seafood from a drive thru.

As far as bypassing Baltimore, Washington and Richmond. Get a map and check this out because it might seem confusing, but it's much better than driving near those three cities. From I-95 just north of Baltimore take I-895 to I-97. Then just before Annapolis Hwy 2 to Hwy 301. Stay on Hwy 301 into Virginia to Rte 2 south. Take Rte 2 until you reach I-295 southbound (the Richmond Bypass), stay on that around Richmond and you will join I-95 south of Richmond.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Default Drive

95 is fine just be sure to take the eastern way around DC (495).

The advice to take Rt.10 at Jacksonville is correct (295 west) but even though 301 South off of 10 is shorter - staying on 10 to 75 South is less aggravating.

JMO
Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Default Drive

I just read your other post:

Many thanks to all you veterans. I think this time (because the cable guy is coming Monday between 9-12), we'll take the I95 route and then I10 to I75 to 301. I tend to have a heavy foot and I definitely don't need a speeding ticket, justified or not.

We've been toying with leaving Friday afternoon and getting to Maryland/DC area for Friday night. Traffic will be heavy on Friday because of the holiday weekend so we may just wait until 7 am Saturday.

Thanks again. We're looking forward to seeing some old college friends and making some new ones.

GOOD PLAN!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Location: April to November in Topsham, ME and November to April in The Villages

If you are coming from CT, avoid NYC and the GW bridge. Take the Tappan Zee bridge and head for I-81. I-81 is a bit longer by an hour or two but the driving is far better, almost all country. You bypass the Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC areas and, I found, there were many good places to eat and to overnight without reservations. Two nights make the trip easier but, if you leave early and drive late, you can do it with one stop.

Good luck and drive safely!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Cool

We arrived in Buttonwood Sunday at about 4:30 pm after an interesting trip from Connecticut. We left an hour later than we planned on Saturdy at 8 am. We were making great time over the Tappan Zee, down the Garden State Parkway onto the Jersey Turnpike until we reached the last toll. There traffic was backed up until we got to the other side of the Delaware Memorial Bridge. The high winds (gusts in excess of 60 mph) created a backup that cost us an hour by our reckoning. Unfortunately that wasn't our only problem. Near Washington, we ran into a brush fire that had smoke billowing across I-95. We lost another hour in that traffic jam and another hour after we got back on 95 after taking the 495 DC bypass. Another brush fire. There must have been dozens of those fires bevause of the dry conditions and the incredible winds.

We managed to stay the night in Florence, SC where we arrived at 9:30 pm.
Sunday we left at 9 am and the trip was much easier. A couple of pit stops and a lunch break and our first trip down 301 (sorely testing my patience with the frequent speed limit changes.)

Now we begin the process of furnishing our Buttonwood home after only buying a bed and sofa when we closed in December. I hope the next 5 weeks will be productive in that regard but also filled with fun.

The storm in Connecticut today did bring a smile to my face when we received a call from my grandson's school system this am that there was no school. We are on a telephone list as well as his mother. We're not there and I don't have to shovel that white stuff.

The television and internet are operational, the cabinets are filled with food and other supplies so we're off to a great start. Kudos to Comcast for being here when they said they would.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another 65er View Post
We arrived in Buttonwood Sunday at about 4:30 pm after an interesting trip from Connecticut. We left an hour later than we planned on Saturdy at 8 am. We were making great time over the Tappan Zee, down the Garden State Parkway onto the Jersey Turnpike until we reached the last toll. There traffic was backed up until we got to the other side of the Delaware Memorial Bridge. The high winds (gusts in excess of 60 mph) created a backup that cost us an hour by our reckoning. Unfortunately that wasn't our only problem. Near Washington, we ran into a brush fire that had smoke billowing across I-95. We lost another hour in that traffic jam and another hour after we got back on 95 after taking the 495 DC bypass. Another brush fire. There must have been dozens of those fires bevause of the dry conditions and the incredible winds.

We managed to stay the night in Florence, SC where we arrived at 9:30 pm.
Sunday we left at 9 am and the trip was much easier. A couple of pit stops and a lunch break and our first trip down 301 (sorely testing my patience with the frequent speed limit changes.)

Now we begin the process of furnishing our Buttonwood home after only buying a bed and sofa when we closed in December. I hope the next 5 weeks will be productive in that regard but also filled with fun.

The storm in Connecticut today did bring a smile to my face when we received a call from my grandson's school system this am that there was no school. We are on a telephone list as well as his mother. We're not there and I don't have to shovel that white stuff.

The television and internet are operational, the cabinets are filled with food and other supplies so we're off to a great start. Kudos to Comcast for being here when they said they would.

Glad you made it safely and missed the white stuff up there...

The travel issue you encountered are one of the main reasons that we don't take the NJ turnpike and 95. If you drive back up to see kids/grandkids, give one of the other options a try...
Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

Welcome to TV and the beginning of everything. We are leaving this week to go to Virginia and I still can not decide whether to take I75 OR 301. GRRRR.. I have done the 301 route before and did not like it.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 PM

65er...glad you arrived safely. When we came down in Dec., there was ice storms all the way to Georgia. (we also come from CT). Thank God my husband's a great driver. Now, we're back in CT and boy, do I miss TV. I heard it was in the 80s today...sigh

Old 02-23-2011, 08:19 PM

My husband and I have made the drive from ma to tv, twice straight through 1-95 took us 22 hrs. We are in buttonwood also, welcome neighbor!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.