This is Driving Me CRAZY!

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2021, 01:15 PM
Default This is Driving Me CRAZY!

I have a 2007 Yamaha G29 with an intermittent problem. It starts up, drives great, and I might not have any issues. Then again, it might stop running for no reason. The pause may last 1 minute or 1 hour, or anytime in-between. It might happen once, twice, ot three times in a trip. It's a crap shoot with this golf cart.

I changed the fuel filter, the vacuum powered fuel pump, along with a section of fuel line and thoroughly cleaned the carburetor. The problem might get better after an attempted fix but it will return.

I have voltage to the ignition relay and that's where I get lost. Money is a bit tight to at the moment, so I'd like to fix it myself.

Any repair ideas or suggestions?

* UPDATE *

- Over the weekend I was able to troubleshoot a little bit. I removed, disassembled, cleaned and reinstalled the stop switch. It was the easiest thing to do because my troubleshooting showed the battery and solenoid were good. I am a bit concerned about the ignition relay because my test showed the switch is good but the coil is bad. I'll retest after giving it a test drive. I'm also bringing the multimeter with me and do some quick tests if it happens again.

- Thursdays are unusually busy for me, so I'll have time to poke around the golf cart tomorrow. Thank you to everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I guess I'm the Tim "The Toolman" Taylor type of guy. I'll figure it out, hopefully before I run out of groceries!

* PROBLEM SOLVED *
I know it's been a few weeks, but I could endure the intermittent problem while I tried to figure it out. My attempts were inexpensive things I could, land wanted to, do. I thoroughly cleaned the carburetor early on, but replacement carburetors are inexpensive, so I took a chance. Nope, that didn't solve the problem. So what's the next logical step? I called Wille's Golf Cart Services.

The problem ended up being the coil. Notice in the last update the coil was a concern, but I really didn't want to guess on that. It's an expensive part (+$125) and a pain to replace. Thanks for all your suggestions and to Willie's Golf Cart Services 352-255-1369.

Last edited by Stephen13; 08-31-2021 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-28-2021, 01:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

I know nothing about golf carts, but if it were a lawnmower or an older car, my next guess would be water in the gas tank.

Last edited by GrumpyOldMan; 07-28-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,306 Times in 2,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen13 View Post
I have a 2007 Yamaha G29 with an intermittent problem. It starts up, drives great, and I might not have any issues. Then again, it might stop running for no reason. The pause may last 1 minute or 1 hour, or anytime in-between. It might happen once, twice, ot three times in a trip. It's a crap shoot with this golf cart.

I changed the fuel filter, the vacuum powered fuel pump, along with a section of fuel line and thoroughly cleaned the carburetor. The problem might get better after an attempted fix but it will return.

I have voltage to the ignition relay and that's where I get lost. Money is a bit tight to at the moment, so I'd like to fix it myself.

Any repair ideas or suggestions?
Any chance it is low on oil and being automatically shut off until enough gathers to reset the sensor? (Had two generators act up because of that)

Had an intermittent fuel pump problem on a boat engine before but you said you've already looked into that.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-28-2021, 01:32 PM

A bad ignition coil will cause the symptoms of your Yamaha cart. Do a search on bad ignition coil and how to test.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:52 PM
Default 2007 Yamaha G29 Problem

The flashing light oil indicator is also a fault code indicator. The flashes are read as long and short. For example, one long and three shorts is 13, three longs and three shorts is 33. These two fault codes (13 & 33) correspond to intake pressure sensor (13) and ignition system. Here is a chart FYI.ca056c4c-4773-42b6-abd4-77dba723dc2b-jpg
Old 07-28-2021, 01:56 PM

Check your oil level first, this motor uses a splash type system and has a low oil shut off.
Remove the float bowl and clean it.

One of those two are probably your issue, if these don't fix it then check the following
Ignition module, its a magneto system
Low oil pressure switch

Use youtube to find out how to do the things above if you don't know how.

Good luck.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:04 PM

It's not the fuel or oil, but the ignition coil is interesting. I was even thinking about the ignition relay. I tested the ohms on it and my multimeter was all over the place. I didn't know about the flashing light. How do you get that to display?

Last edited by Stephen13; 07-28-2021 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Sent early
Old 07-28-2021, 02:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
It's not the fuel or oil, but the ignition coil is interesting. I was even thinking about the ignition relay. I tested the ohms on it and my multimeter was all over the place. I didn't know about the flashing light. How do you get that to display?

I had a friend whose Yamaha cart had the same symptoms as yours,
and it turned out to be a bad ignition coil.
By the way it was also driving her crazy,
because it was intermittent,
but eventually it totally went out
and the cart had to be towed in!
Old 07-28-2021, 02:32 PM
Default 2007 Yamaha YDRA G29 Error Codes

Quote:
1. Turn main switch to on position.
2. Push accelerator pedal down to start engine.
3. The red check engine light will come on for about 2 seconds and then will go out.
4. Release accelerator pedal to stop engine.
5. With the main switch still in the on position, check the engine light. If it is not flashing, then there are not any error codes.
6. If the light is flashing, there are error codes. The light will flash at least one long flash followed by at least one short flash.
7. Long flashes flash for 1 second with a one second pause before the next long flash. Short flashes flash for .5 followed by a .5 second pause.
8. After an error code, the light will pause for 3 seconds and the start over. If there are multiple codes, it will display them right after each other with a 3 second pause in between and then restart the sequence. An error code will always start with a long flash and end with a short flash.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:09 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,310 Times in 381 Posts

Friend had a similar problem...turned out to be a solenoid
Old 07-28-2021, 03:50 PM

I know this is an off the wall question, but does the problem when you say it "stops running for no reason" happen only after you have come to a stop or does it happen while you are driving? I had a problem with my cart where it would run great, but occasionally when I came to a stop and the motor shuts off normally, it would not restart when I pressed the gas pedal. That problem was due to a faulty start switch at the gas pedal. I just don't know when your cart "stops running for no reason". If it stops while you are already in motion, that sounds like a fuel or electrical fault.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I know this is an off the wall question, but does the problem when you say it "stops running for no reason" happen only after you have come to a stop or does it happen while you are driving? I had a problem with my cart where it would run great, but occasionally when I came to a stop and the motor shuts off normally, it would not restart when I pressed the gas pedal. That problem was due to a faulty start switch at the gas pedal. I just don't know when your cart "stops running for no reason". If it stops while you are already in motion, that sounds like a fuel or electrical fault.
It happens both ways, one no more than the other. I agree about the fuel or electrical statement. This is difficult to figure out. It could be anything, and could become an expensive fix if I take it in somewhere. But I feel like I'm throwing darts at the problem. I don't think a technician can do much more.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
It happens both ways, one no more than the other. I agree about the fuel or electrical statement. This is difficult to figure out. It could be anything, and could become an expensive fix if I take it in somewhere. But I feel like I'm throwing darts at the problem. I don't think a technician can do much more.
Stephen,
You comment about the ohms reading on the coil is interesting, this should be a steady reading, what you describe sounds like an intermittent problem in the coil. I have equipment that may help confirm this. You sound like a DIY, so use some alligator clips and place a small light bulb or 12 volt LED across the coil on the solenoid, it should stay on while you are driving. When the cart stops, if you have a light, the solenoid is bad, if it goes out you need to look at all of the wiring and connections from the battery to the solenoid. Send me a PM with your phone number and we can discuss further over the phone.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:17 AM
Smile

Now this thread is exactly what this message board is supposed to be. Neighbors helping neighbors.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:32 AM

I had a similar problem a year ago with a 2012 Yamaha. I called Willey's Golf Cart Repair - they came out and there is a button, solenoid, something or other behind the gas pedal that had corroded and wasn't making full contact. They cleaned that up and I haven't had any problem since!
Closed Thread

Tags
fuel, fix, problem, tight, repair

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.