Driving Pet Peeves

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2021, 10:09 AM

People with 4seater golf carts with golf clubs park like everyone else at a town square and stick way out in traffic
2. People in carts who take up a whole parking space.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,682 Times in 970 Posts

I'm generally not prone to road rage. When I see a bad scenario developing I'll typically slow down and try to avoid it. A few years ago DW and I were in Hawaii. It was a Sunday, and the locals were all out smiling and driving slowly, and waving to everyone. I was heading back to our rental from a day of recreation, and I told my wife, "you know, I have to remember this 'Aloha' spirit when we get back to NY. I feel really mellow, and don't mind that we are cruising at 15mph below the posted limit."
FF a year or so, driving in Rochester NY and some numbnuts pulls right in front of me nearly causing me to hit him. I won't say exactly what I called him, but it was something like *@$$&##!!!!!, to which my wife said, "Hey, Honey, did you forget your Aloha Spirit just then??
"Yes, I guess I did. So modified my greeting to "Aloha, you*@$$&##!!!!!," and all was good.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:40 AM
Default horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
1. The speed limit police: Driving in the passing lane and justified because they are going the speed limit.
2. Pulling out in front of you because they can get there first even it they have to run a stop sign either in their golf cart or car.
3. Stopping your car to let golf carts cross the road. Its very dangerous and very annoying as cars have the right of way and could easily cause an accident.

What are yours?
I have not seen this, maybe I missed it. But to me, by far the most annoying drivers I see on the roads are those that do not know how to use their horns. A horn should be used as a needed warning, or in case of a possible emergency, and should NOT be used as a correctional device. Meaning, if someone makes a mistake on the road, but there is no danger at all caused by such a mistake, there is no reason to blow a horn at that individual. MAYBE a courtesy tap of the horn at most, but certainly not a long blow of the horn.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:54 AM

Those who attempt to instruct others how to navigate roundabouts when they themselves don't know.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:09 AM

Full time Village residents don't expect anyone to stop for golf carts waiting to cross the roadway at the entry gates. Its infuriating when a driver suddenly and without warning decides to stop. The vehicles traveling behind them are not expecting them to stop because cars have the right of way. It's a shame we have to drive so defensively in fear of what some other Villager might do. Don't even get me started on the drivers who "stop" inside the round-about.... Maybe they'll learn when a car plows into their rear! But of course, it will be the other driver's fault... Infuriating!
Old 05-02-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
1. The speed limit police: Driving in the passing lane and justified because they are going the speed limit.
2. Pulling out in front of you because they can get there first even it they have to run a stop sign either in their golf cart or car.
3. Stopping your car to let golf carts cross the road. Its very dangerous and very annoying as cars have the right of way and could easily cause an accident.

What are yours?
As per referenced in your post, Speed Police: Drivers who decide it is OK to drive 60 MPH in a 45 MPH zone and ride your rear bumper because you are not able to move to the right in accordance with their time frame.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:38 AM
Default Left turning carts....

Carts that are turning left and remain in a cart lane until at the corner, then turn left across the both ways of the auto traffic. If you are turning left, before you get to the corner, start turn signals, use left hand indicator and move safely into the auto lane. When it is safe to turn, then proceed with the turn. (same as when you are in a car on a four lane road....move to the left lane before the corner and making the turn)
Old 05-02-2021, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
I wonder how you would feel if you were stopped behind 20 cyclists who each fully stopped in turn and proceeded through the intersection one at a time while also waiting for the traffic to clear.

I also wonder is you come to a complete stop at every stop sign. Complete means locking your breaks—not just going really slow. I wonder, too, if you use your turn signals properly by notifying others before you start to slow down and not just as you are rounding the corner or after you are already in the turn lane when everyone can see that you are turning.

If you’re not like most people, and almost everyone violates those rules, then my hat’s off to you. You are a rare bird indeed. But you would still hate it if you got stuck behind a group of cyclists who came to complete stops and crossed the road just one at a time.

Remember the old saying: “Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.”
I'd rather sit behind 20 cyclists entering the RB one at a time than watch a truck come around the RB and plow into a bunch of them
Old 05-02-2021, 11:49 AM

I have been noticing this more often these days...the driver coming at me in the opposite direction is so afraid of passing the golf cart next to him/her, that they veer across the yellow median into my lane ready to clip me head on. Wow!
Old 05-02-2021, 12:00 PM
Veteran member

My biggest pet peeve? Letting other drivers bother me. Life is so much nicer when we let it go. It’s very easy to do with practice.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:06 PM

Same!
Old 05-02-2021, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I am one of those rare birds who do complete stops even when it's obvious no one is near. I got stopped by a cop for not making a full stop at Rio Grande and Del Mar and I am forever changed. I think there should be a major police blitz for golf cart infractions. It is so over the top ridiculous how lax we take the safety rules on the road here.

I bet you didn’t get ticket?
Old 05-02-2021, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
I wonder how you would feel if you were stopped behind 20 cyclists who each fully stopped in turn and proceeded through the intersection one at a time while also waiting for the traffic to clear.

I also wonder is you come to a complete stop at every stop sign. Complete means locking your breaks—not just going really slow. I wonder, too, if you use your turn signals properly by notifying others before you start to slow down and not just as you are rounding the corner or after you are already in the turn lane when everyone can see that you are turning.

If you’re not like most people, and almost everyone violates those rules, then my hat’s off to you. You are a rare bird indeed. But you would still hate it if you got stuck behind a group of cyclists who came to complete stops and crossed the road just one at a time.

1. I'm agnostic, so biblical quotes and religious rhetoric go in one ear, out the other.
2. What I would love to see, is bicycle clusters that actually cluster when it's time to get through an intersection. What I mean by this:

20 bikers, awesome. They're off to the side so people can pass them, til it's time to slow down. THEN...the first four continue together to the sign, clustered, 2 in front, 2 behind. The other 16 stop to let a car or two pass them. Then the next batch of 4 approach the intersection, and the process repeats.

That would be my ideal situation. Unfortunately, not all drivers of cars will abide that, or know about it, and it won't work in reality. But it'd be a great thing if it did work.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:06 PM

Biggest pet peeve is someone taking up 2 spots!!! 2nd is not using turn signals.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:

I agree, if cyclists are in a group they should keep moving as a group.

Only pet peeve of mine is when at a traffic light waiting to turn left, the car in front of you doesn’t pull into the intersection to watch oncoming traffic. They prefer to wait an entire cycle for the next green arrow. So stupid!
Closed Thread

Tags
driving, golf, limit, speed, car

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.