Driving in the roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Driving in the roundabouts

If they still do newcomer orientation, then the golf cart safety film should be included along with a Sheriff's Dept. Deputy to explain the rules and correct procedures for negotiating TV Roundaouts. Hopefully more signs and road stripings at the roundabouts will help educate visitors and folks passing through TV. In the meantime, keep to the right, use your signals when exiting the roundabout and drive like no one knows what they are doing. Forget right of way rules and your interpretation of the laws. They don't protect you from the crazies out there. :cop:
Old 09-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

Have told everyone about this thread. Announced it at the Tall Trees Ladies Cllub. I really think everyone needs to see that video. Good work guys!!!!!!! I have been checking out the painted lines at the roundabouts that I use and they desperately need to be redone because they are wrong in a few places!!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:08 PM
Veteran member

I've driven in roundabouts in the US and in Europe and I don't recall ever seeing one where the inside (left) lane can exit. I thought that was nuts the first time I was in TV but got used to it but always keeping an eye on what was going on around me. If you're in the left lane and you make a right turn out of the circle and you have someone in the right lane continuing around, you've got a problem. I think TV needs to change that.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I turn right out of the left lane here in MI all the time, as it shows in the video it's not a problem but that doesn't mean you just blindly do it without being aware of surrounding vehicles, I have been in that position and had someone catch up on the right and not knowing his intentions I just went around again. Myself, I don't think TV needs to handle the traffic patterns in the roundabouts any different than anywhere else in the country.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

(Bump) Just thought I'd resurrect this thread for any newbies that haven't seen it.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Veteran member

I'll preface this by saying that it is common sense that everyone should stay in the right lane in the roundabouts....because there is this ugly little secret that confuses people so I went to the Sumter Country Sheriff and asked point blank who had the right of way in THE VILLAGES roundabouts. At this point, the "idiot" in the left lane has the right of way if he/she/it wants to exit. If you are in the right lane, you must yield. At this point, it is law here in The Villages. Whoever designed these puppies really did a lousy job because to me there should be only ONE lane..I suppose it was designed for the type As who just have to get to the next light where we all catch up with them. :dontknow:
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 11-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdraig
I'll preface this by saying that it is common sense that everyone should stay in the right lane in the roundabouts....because there is this ugly little secret that confuses people so I went to the Sumter Country Sheriff and asked point blank who had the right of way in THE VILLAGES roundabouts. At this point, the "idiot" in the left lane has the right of way if he/she/it wants to exit. If you are in the right lane, you must yield. At this point, it is law here in The Villages. Whoever designed these puppies really did a lousy job because to me there should be only ONE lane..I suppose it was designed for the type As who just have to get to the next light where we all catch up with them. :dontknow:
You do have to really pay attention still, too, if you are that "idiot" in the left lane who wants to exit by going over the right lane at some point in the circle.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Veteran member

Oh, yeah, you do...big time. To me, there isn't much reason to be in the left lane unless circumstances warrant..and even less to turn out of the circle from the left lane but if you do you takes your chances on getting crunched. Happy driving! ;D
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 11-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you may need to watch the video again, the only cars entering in the right lane should be those cars turning right at the next exit, if you're going straight or turning left you should enter from the left and get in the center roundabout lane. Exiting from the center lane what you're supposed to do, just make sure you watch out for any cars on your right. It ain't rocket science but that doesn't mean you won't come across someone who doesn't know what they are supposed to do.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Eternal Member

Even rocket scientists know you do not cross over a lane of traffic to turn right.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:32 AM
Veteran member

I may be wrong but I believe the rules for roundabouts were established for larger traffic circles than the ones in TV. In the larger circles, there's more time and room to maneuver and to make a lane change. The circles in TV are too small for that type of maneuvering.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

z you're tough, did ya watch the video, crossing over from the inside is what they want you to do, it's all anout moving traffic through. The round abouts in TV are the same size as the one's here at home.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:27 AM
Eternal Member

Sorry - always like rocket scientist comments.

Yes I did watch the video. There are a couple of roundabouts in NJ that I used to maneuver through. In one of them if you did not get in the right hand lane you could spend the rest of the day going around in a circle.

I will stick to the right lane in and right lane out no matter which exit I need to take. And I will keep my eye out for the left hand land drivers.

The ones that scare my wife are those that pull up to the circle at full speed while we are going around the circle. She thinks that they will not stop. I have faith.

But then I believe in stop signs, Stop lights and Yeild signs.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Veteran member

Page 49 of the new Villages Phone Book is dedicated to traffic rotaries.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdraig
Page 49 of the new Villages Phone Book is dedicated to traffic rotaries.
Like that explanation more than the video. The Villages Phone Book on the first 49 makes it as simple as possible without going into any explanation about the left and right lanes that I can see.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.