Driving in the roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Default Re: Driving in the roundabouts

Hello

There are no left turns off a rotary circle, all right turns only. you should not be making right hand turns from the left lane, a good way to get killed

drd

Old 11-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

who said anything about making a left turn?
Old 11-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

;D That would be a right turn from the left lane that causes the problems...not a left turn
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 11-13-2007, 12:30 AM

IMHO, originally from the UK i have driven thousands of roundabouts across europe where the rules follow quite closely those of Golfnut's video, i always move to the left lane when intending to leave at exits 2 (straight ahead) 3 (left turn) or 4 (u-turn). I have often experienced in TV traffic entering the roundabout parallel to me (or at the same time as i pass the exit they are entering from) and not Yielding to traffic (me) already on the roundabout which is a fundamental part of roundabout design, this leaves me having to either fall back behind this vehicle or go around again as passing on a traffic on a roundabout is not a good idea.

I do not believe the problem in TV is caused by those who use the right hand lane only or those who use the left hand lane as it should be used but those who fail to Yield to traffic already on the roundabout (this means yielding irrespective of the lane that the traffic already on the circle is in).

Roundabouts work great when used properly and in my experience are alot quicker and easier than traffic lights.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC
IMHO, originally from the UK i have driven thousands of roundabouts across europe where the rules follow quite closely those of Golfnut's video, i always move to the left lane when intending to leave at exits 2 (straight ahead) 3 (left turn) or 4 (u-turn). I have often experienced in TV traffic entering the roundabout parallel to me (or at the same time as i pass the exit they are entering from) and not Yielding to traffic (me) already on the roundabout which is a fundamental part of roundabout design, this leaves me having to either fall back behind this vehicle or go around again as passing on a traffic on a roundabout is not a good idea.

I do not believe the problem in TV is caused by those who use the right hand lane only or those who use the left hand lane as it should be used but those who fail to Yield to traffic already on the roundabout (this means yielding irrespective of the lane that the traffic already on the circle is in).

Roundabouts work great when used properly and in my experience are alot quicker and easier than traffic lights.
From what I have heard from frequent travelers to the UK and Europe, a lot of the drivers are going quite a bit faster too than many drivers in the US and especially in TV?

I feel I should get closer to God-- by doing a lot of praying-- though every time I approach a roundabout in TV. :joke:
Old 12-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff
Watched the video with interest. Looks great when everybody does the right thing. Just won't work here in TV. Too many bad drivers. The inside lane in TV is used by the speeders who want to jump the entrance line and there is absolutely no reasoning involved when they depart the roundabout. There have been many discussions in TV about doing away with the inside lane (left). That would put everybody into one lane for entering the roundabout and eliminate the problem of cutting you off when they exit. Don't forget, there is an entrance for every exit. Enter the roundabout in the left lane intending to exit two exits later, and you have to cut-off the people entering from the first exit and intending to exit one or two exits later. Sounds confusing? Well, it is. Forget also about everybody exceeding the 20mph limit in the roundabout. Here in TV, the only safe thing to do is stay right and watch the idiot to your left. The roundabouts are too small to follow the rule in the video safely.
There is only one traffic roundabout in the villages that can be driven as they are supposed to be. That is the one around Country Club Hills by the water tower. There is enough distance between the entries and exits to use the proper lanes. All the other circles are too small to use the lanes properly and were designed for large trucks to be able to make their turns. Making a short turn onto 2 lane street with an 18 wheeler with 53ft trailer is a nightmare at times. I've been there, done that being an over the road driver myself, (Just retired 3 weeks ago).
Old 12-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Another problem with our TV roundabouts is that many of the exits have only one lane. If one car enters at 6 o'clock using the left lane to go 1/2 way around and another car enters the circle at 3 o'clock and stays in the right lane to go 1/4 way ,now they both try to exit at 12 o'clock and there is only one exit lane something has to give. Who has the "right of way" in this example???
Old 12-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Bob, I would think if there is only one exit lane then the person on the right has the right of way, most of the roundabouts I use have 2 lanes you exit, can you tell me where some of the 1 lane exit roundabouts are, I suspect they are to the north near SS.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 PM

Nice video! I guess we'll have to watch for other drivers when we visit TV next year. It sounds as though some people do not obey rules of the road. Roundabouts are very popular in certain parts of Europe and they do work. We'll keep our eyes open for other drivers when in TV.

Pili
Old 12-16-2007, 10:25 PM

golfnut, the roundabout at Palmer has 2 single lane exits, into the restaurant and into Bridgport.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:05 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut
Bob, I would think if there is only one exit lane then the person on the right has the right of way, most of the roundabouts I use have 2 lanes you exit, can you tell me where some of the 1 lane exit roundabouts are, I suspect they are to the north near SS.
Ther roundabout exit to Sweetwater Trail is one lane

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Z, do you mean Stillwater Trail? I'll check these out and let ya know, thanks guys.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:16 AM
Eternal Member

I guess. I live on the north side and am not that familiar with all the names. It is the roundabout that takes you by the new motel/hotel.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:47 PM

Wow, the opinions expressed here explain the confusion. No wonder we all have to pray before entering a roundabout. Everyone claims they are right. TV, each state, country has it's own design. In Wisconsin and Minnesota the inside lane is raised slightly to discourage left lane access and yet allow flexibility. The Villages definitely needs to clarify its design intentions. I was shocked to read the sheriff says the person in the right lane is suppposed to yield to the center lane > > >
Old 12-19-2007, 04:30 PM

It should not really be a shock as roundabout/traffic circle rules are the same worlwide and Traffic in the Center lane always has right of way, however this should never cause a problem as if you are in the right hand lane you should be exiting anyway.

Roundabouts and Traffic Circle designs do differ across the US and the World but nowhere does the right hand lane have right of way as if this was the case traffic in the center lane would be unable to exit!

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.