Drone/UAV owners

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2015, 05:02 AM
Default Drone/UAV owners

Thinking about buying a DJI Vision 2+ V3.0 or the new Dubsan X4 Pro when it is released. Would really like to talk with an experienced pilot about "stuff". Appreciate a message. Thanks, Marlinguy
Old 03-17-2015, 04:12 PM

The Villages E-Flyers RC group fly on M-F from 8-noon at the Polo field. Take a ride over and ask to talk to Walter, he is heavily into UAV's.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

I understand flying remote model planes in a field for a hobby but this new fad for flying little whirly drones in neighborhoods with cameras to spy on ones neighbors I find disturbing. A person in Seattle area was in the news just before we came down here as she was being charged for shooting her neighbors drone down because it was taking pictures of them through their windows and the cops didn't do anything.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:49 AM

Trudy, Trudy, The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Geez girl, how did you connect the dots from owning an emerging and practical new technology to spying on your neighbors. Seriously, get a grip! And even if I could spy on my neighbors I would probably fall asleep from boredom waiting for something "to happen". Oh, and lastly, I think we still live in the USA where we still have a few freedoms left,,I think. Ok, that's it.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:21 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinguy View Post
Trudy, Trudy, The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Geez girl, how did you connect the dots from owning an emerging and practical new technology to spying on your neighbors. Seriously, get a grip! And even if I could spy on my neighbors I would probably fall asleep from boredom waiting for something "to happen". Oh, and lastly, I think we still live in the USA where we still have a few freedoms left,,I think. Ok, that's it.
Trudy has good reason for concern, after all the initial impetus for the development of drones was for surveillance. If you fly below 466 you are also required to notify the FAA whenever you fly, since you are within 5 miles of an airport....are you compliant?
Old 03-18-2015, 08:27 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Where is the public and not private airport that is within five miles of The Villages? Until the FAA finishes writing the rules, almost everything is advisory in nature or on hold. I would love to see a public airport in the Villages. I recall being told that back in the horse and buggy days, many didn’t like those new motorized buggies using the roads.

A combination of self-governance (better knowledge), better platforms (flying machines) and new rules will come into play over time that should minimize the anxieties of the public.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Where is the public and not private airport that is within five miles of The Villages? Until the FAA finishes writing the rules, almost everything is advisory in nature or on hold. I would love to see a public airport in the Villages. I recall being told that back in the horse and buggy days, many didn’t like those new motorized buggies using the roads.

A combination of self-governance (better knowledge), better platforms (flying machines) and new rules will come into play over time that should minimize the anxieties of the public.
Well said, Twoplanekid!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Sage

Can they go further than the signal can reach?
Suppose I didn't know what I was doing and sent it downfield. If I lost radio contact would it just keep on going until the battery was drained?
They look like a lot of fun.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

She is lucky she was not charged with a federal offense. It is a federal crime to shoot at any aircraft. That includes Drones, Model Aircraft, or registered aircraft.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Veteran member

First the regulation for RC aircraft is no higher then 400 ft AGL and must remain insight of the operator. You are required to inform helipad operations at a hospital if you are flying close to their airspace because of the altitudes they fly on approach. You are not required to inform the FAA if you are flying in uncontrolled airspace. You may not fly your aircraft within class B or C airspace. Registered aircraft must maintain 1000 above a heavily populated area and 500 feet above a sparcely populated area. So if the registered aircraft are sticking to the rules then these new Aircraft called Drones should never get in their way. Many of the Drone manufactures have added a database of the class A and B airspace into the Drone Computer. If the Drone is within the Airspace it will not take off. As a private pilot I understand he rules, however since there is no requirement for some one who owns a Drone and we have seemed to loose our common sense on matters such as this, I believe there needs to be some mandatory training for people that fly anything. My pilot skills are reviewed by an instructor every two years.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:30 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I would also encourage anyone with questions about the smaller UAVs to visit The Villages E-Flyers RC group who fly on M-F from 8-noon at the Polo field. They usually fly many interesting aircraft if the weather is good.

You can also go to RCgroups -> RCGroups.com: The ABCs of Radio Control - Aircraft, Boats, and Cars!
then to Electric - FPV Talk or Electric –Multirotors Talk

I love to fly both RC and private aircraft! I may fly my 1946 J-3 Piper Cub from Ohio to the Villages this June even though it might be faster driving my car on interstate 70 than flying a slow Cub.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinguy View Post
I don't disagree but we also had a right to privacy at one time. That has been going away bit by bit. When one exercises their perceived rights it usually infringes on somebody else's perception of their rights.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-flyer View Post
The Villages E-Flyers RC group fly...at the Polo field.
The Villages E-Flyers RC group is being very responsible by sticking to a wide open space, well away from residential areas.

Does anyone in TV fly an RC plane out of his/her garden? I doubt it, but that is presumably what some drone operators want to do.

It is not just the privacy issue, it is the annoying noise and the danger of an accident.

Enjoy flying a drone by all means but, please, do it at the right place - the Polo field.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Veteran member

One may fly an RC Aircraft out of their back yard. Unless the local authorities have an ordinance prohibiting this activity. Otherwise it is perfectly legal to do so. Now if you have a neighbor who has complained about it I would hope the person who is flying the device would respect their wishes. There is no law that prohibits the flying of one of these multirotor toys over your home. There have been a number of cases adjudicated and basically while you own the land you do not own the air space above it. However if some one is using the device to harass you then you have some legal recourse. They would also be responsible for any damages that would be caused if for some reason the aircraft would crash on to your roof .
Old 03-18-2015, 06:21 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

As I said I am fully supportive of those who are flying models and I guess drones as a hobby in an open field someplace. I have a problem with them having cameras peaking in a persons windows. I don't understand how it differs from a peeking Tom. The police can arrest someone peaking in your windows but not using a drone to do so. I just don't get it. As with many things the technology has moved faster than the laws can keep up.
In my opinion.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.