Drone/UAV owners

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
As I said I am fully supportive of those who are flying models and I guess drones as a hobby in an open field someplace. I have a problem with them having cameras peaking in a persons windows. I don't understand how it differs from a peeking Tom. The police can arrest someone peaking in your windows but not using a drone to do so. I just don't get it. As with many things the technology has moved faster than the laws can keep up.
In my opinion.
That would be considered harrasment and not exactly sure how far the authorities can go in that case. Just because someone owns a drone does not mean they are using it to spy on heir neighbors.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Where is the public and not private airport that is within five miles of The Villages? Until the FAA finishes writing the rules, almost everything is advisory in nature or on hold. I would love to see a public airport in the Villages. I recall being told that back in the horse and buggy days, many didn’t like those new motorized buggies using the roads.

A combination of self-governance (better knowledge), better platforms (flying machines) and new rules will come into play over time that should minimize the anxieties of the public.
does the landing strip off of micro racetrack count....not flaming just asking
Old 03-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

This is all interesting, we saw a drone about a week and a half ago, just to the south of 466a between Morse and Buena Vista, appeared to be a 4 prop type. I did not get a good look as I was driving, my wife able to see it better. Maybe someone was not following the "rules".
I have seen LOTs of discussion about these devices, where they can be flown, etc. There are a lot of concerns, especially the ones with cameras. You may recall the turmoil when Google introduced the street view, and initially you could see peoples faces. It will be interesting to see where this goes.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
This is all interesting, we saw a drone about a week and a half ago, just to the south of 466a between Morse and Buena Vista, appeared to be a 4 prop type. I did not get a good look as I was driving, my wife able to see it better. Maybe someone was not following the "rules".
I have seen LOTs of discussion about these devices, where they can be flown, etc. There are a lot of concerns, especially the ones with cameras. You may recall the turmoil when Google introduced the street view, and initially you could see peoples faces. It will be interesting to see where this goes.
I have a DJI Phantom 2 with a GoPro Camera. I have done a number of flights around the community of Stonecrest. You can fly these aircraft just about anywhere you choose. DJI has now introduced changes to their software so as to keep the Drone grounded if its within a 5 mile radius of a major airport. There are rules that apply to these aircraft already under RC Aircraft but like most rules you need some one to enforce them. If someone is using one of these devices the local police can do something about it. However if you are just flying around the neighborhood then they are pretty much free to fly from where and to where they so desire. However if you actions endanger someone you will have a problem legally, I can guarantee it. Look at the gentleman that flew above the two new helicopters. he was at 1500 feet. A clear violation. They are a very stable aircraft and very easy to fly because the stabilization is done by a computer.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:10 PM

Steve9930 said: One may fly an RC Aircraft out of their back yard. Unless the local authorities have an ordinance prohibiting this activity. Otherwise it is perfectly legal to do so. Now if you have a neighbor who has complained about it I would hope the person who is flying the device would respect their wishes. There is no law that prohibits the flying of one of these multirotor toys over your home. There have been a number of cases adjudicated and basically while you own the land you do not own the air space above it. However if some one is using the device to harass you then you have some legal recourse. They would also be responsible for any damages that would be caused if for some reason the aircraft would crash on to your roof .

Steve: Good stuff in your note and well put in easy to understand fashion. Would only add that the FAA is aware of this issue as something they need to get their arms around, but it looks like it'll be at least several years before anything really concrete comes out. And with regard to your "neighbor" scenario, there was an incident in southern New Jersey last year that involved a guy ****ed off at his neighbor for flying his quad-rotor w/camera over his house and back yard taking a couple shots at it with a shotgun and knocking it down. The guy (who legally possessed the shotgun) was charged by local PD with unlawful discharge of a firearm (misdemeanor). He was also sued by the neighbor with the UAV for damages and reparations for losing the machine. The man's homeowner insurance liability coverage would not pay. So short version of some really long stories I guess is......keep your calm around these things, notify authorities if you feel compelled, and if flying them, be really aware of your surroundings and people with camera phones! Cheers!!
Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNJ View Post
Steve9930 said: One may fly an RC Aircraft out of their back yard. Unless the local authorities have an ordinance prohibiting this activity. Otherwise it is perfectly legal to do so. Now if you have a neighbor who has complained about it I would hope the person who is flying the device would respect their wishes. There is no law that prohibits the flying of one of these multirotor toys over your home. There have been a number of cases adjudicated and basically while you own the land you do not own the air space above it. However if some one is using the device to harass you then you have some legal recourse. They would also be responsible for any damages that would be caused if for some reason the aircraft would crash on to your roof .

Steve: Good stuff in your note and well put in easy to understand fashion. Would only add that the FAA is aware of this issue as something they need to get their arms around, but it looks like it'll be at least several years before anything really concrete comes out. And with regard to your "neighbor" scenario, there was an incident in southern New Jersey last year that involved a guy ****ed off at his neighbor for flying his quad-rotor w/camera over his house and back yard taking a couple shots at it with a shotgun and knocking it down. The guy (who legally possessed the shotgun) was charged by local PD with unlawful discharge of a firearm (misdemeanor). He was also sued by the neighbor with the UAV for damages and reparations for losing the machine. The man's homeowner insurance liability coverage would not pay. So short version of some really long stories I guess is......keep your calm around these things, notify authorities if you feel compelled, and if flying them, be really aware of your surroundings and people with camera phones! Cheers!!
Yep strange things happen. The talk now is it will take about two years for the FAA to come up with some rules for commercial use. Private use is still in limbo. I'm a private pilot so I understand the air space rules and regulations. I found on the internet where there is now a Drone/UAV group that is trying to educate the users. I know one thing, if I'm at 2500 feet and I run into one of these toys I'm not going to be a happy camper.....

Thanks for the nice comment and thanks for adding the additional information.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Anytime you have a concern with anything that involves a video, or even how to operate a product, repair a product or see a product review, go to YouTube and search for the item. Just last week I saved myself $150 by repairing my own refrigerator by watching a video posted youtube.com.

If you're concerned about videos shot from quadcopters (drones), go to youtube.com and search and see what videos are being posted. I own a Syma X5C-1, a very inexpensive quadcopter that comes with a camera. I just did a search on YouTube for a Syma X5C-1 video, and what you'll come up with is a bunch of innocent looking aerial videos from a park, a ball field, the beach, a neighborhood, etc. Here, check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhNJWDYi82k

The Villages Florida

Quote:
I know one thing, if I'm at 2500 feet and I run into one of these toys I'm not going to be a happy camper.....
As far as getting in close proximity to a aircraft, keep in mine that you'll need to keep these aircraft in sight. Flying higher than a 100' this 12" white diameter quad will start to disappear. If it loses the signal, the quad will keep going on it's last command, which may take it very far away. I don't see any problem with these getting anywhere near a civil aircraft unless you right next to the airport. Even in that situation, it would probably be nothing more than a bird strike.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

As long as it's not struck by the prop or sucked in jet engine intake. I have fixed many bird strikes of jet engines. The 12" drone would most likely rip compressor blades and could cause thrust problem. Even if it didn't create loss of engine the damage to several million dollar jet engine would be pricey if it was traced back to the owner.

As using them to spy or window peak, I have window blinds and curtains, if I don't want someone to see in I close them.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:17 PM

If you are truly worried about your privacy then don’t use the internet.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Anytime you have a concern with anything that involves a video, or even how to operate a product, repair a product or see a product review, go to YouTube and search for the item. Just last week I saved myself $150 by repairing my own refrigerator by watching a video posted youtube.com.

If you're concerned about videos shot from quadcopters (drones), go to youtube.com and search and see what videos are being posted. I own a Syma X5C-1, a very inexpensive quadcopter that comes with a camera. I just did a search on YouTube for a Syma X5C-1 video, and what you'll come up with is a bunch of innocent looking aerial videos from a park, a ball field, the beach, a neighborhood, etc. Here, check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhNJWDYi82k

The Villages Florida

As far as getting in close proximity to a aircraft, keep in mine that you'll need to keep these aircraft in sight. Flying higher than a 100' this 12" white diameter quad will start to disappear. If it loses the signal, the quad will keep going on it's last command, which may take it very far away. I don't see any problem with these getting anywhere near a civil aircraft unless you right next to the airport. Even in that situation, it would probably be nothing more than a bird strike.
Bird strikes kill pilots and take down aircraft. Please do the calculation of the forces hitting one of the 2 to 5 pound aircraft at 120mph. There is a video of a drone pilot taking the aircraft up to 3500 feet through a cloud layer. There could be a pilot on an IFR flight flying through those clouds.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbym View Post
If you are truly worried about your privacy then don’t use the internet.
right, and if you don't like asparagus stop eating.....
Old 03-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

The Villages Florida

John .. I'd really like some more info about which seller you bought from on Amazon? Did you buy extra batteries with an extra charger? P.M me if you would...Thanks!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
John .. I'd really like some more info about which seller you bought from on Amazon? Did you buy extra batteries with an extra charger? P.M me if you would...Thanks!
I actually bought mine from a seller on eBay for $79.99 because I didn't want to wait, just check the feedback on the seller. That's pretty much the going price for domestic sales among dealers, I received it in 3 days. If you want to save a little money and don't mind waiting, many buy from Banggood website in China for $52.99 and you'll receive it in a couple of weeks. I did buy extra batteries, also on eBay, I think it was 5 batteries and a charger for like $20.

Quote:
Bird strikes kill pilots and take down aircraft. Please do the calculation of the forces hitting one of the 2 to 5 pound aircraft at 120mph. There is a video of a drone pilot taking the aircraft up to 3500 feet through a cloud layer. There could be a pilot on an IFR flight flying through those clouds.
I shouldn't have even included bird strikes in my reply, I'm aware of what a real bird could do to an aircraft since I was an air traffic controller at Pensacola Approach and before that at St. Pete-Clearwater Tower (PIE), which sits right on Tampa Bay and is home to thousands of birds. The airport even had a man who was employed to chase birds away all day with shotgun blasts. I was speaking about the majority of flyers who operate in a 100' or lower altitute and are nothing more than a sophisticated toy. Of course there are always a few who want to push the boundaries and will spend a few thousand on a POV drone.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Default Sometimes you just have to laugh,,,,

I guess living in a community with so many old folks who have turned old ie., dont and wont learn about whats taking place in the world around them and find all kinds of chatter to keep their heads buried in the sand. To those who don't understand one of the biggest billion dollar emerging industries,, please, PLEASE, go educate yourself, see whats taking place. Of course the future is unknown but exploration is in the soul of man. Most said C. Columbus would sail off the edge of the earth, only a few saw the potential and listened to reason. Oh, I guess this is a waste of words. If you think UAV's are for spying on your neighbors, well, go put your heads back in the sand.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:54 PM
Default Well said....

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinguy View Post
Trudy, Trudy, The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Geez girl, how did you connect the dots from owning an emerging and practical new technology to spying on your neighbors. Seriously, get a grip! And even if I could spy on my neighbors I would probably fall asleep from boredom waiting for something "to happen". Oh, and lastly, I think we still live in the USA where we still have a few freedoms left,,I think. Ok, that's it.
I guess living in a community with so many old folks who have turned old ie., dont and wont learn about whats taking place in the world around them and find all kinds of chatter to keep their heads buried in the sand. To those who don't understand one of the biggest billion dollar emerging industries,, please, PLEASE, go educate yourself, see whats taking place. Of course the future is unknown but exploration is in the soul of man. Most said C. Columbus would sail off the edge of the earth, only a few saw the potential and listened to reason. Oh, I guess this is a waste of words. If you think UAV's are for spying on your neighbors, well, go put your heads back in the sand.

.......... There's one in every crowd

PS I too researched EXTENSIVELY before buying my Quad. I bought the "Blade350 QX" (to learn on) and it has many SAFETY features including "return to home" if your transmitter signal is lost. Also the "Phantom" batteries are VERY espensive compared to the "Blade" as I also bought the "Go Pro Camera" for $450 and found that another EXACT "duplicate" camera with 1080p resolution $50 vs the Go Pro 4K resolution so the $50 camera in my opinion works just as well. Check out the "Blade 350QX" as I'm sure (in my opinion) it's one of the better ones using GPS ....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.