Drove to Fenney...Here's my takeaway

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Sage
Default Drove to Fenny...Here's my takeaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
So our grands are reading the paper and said over 100 homes have already been sold, in Fenney. Can we go. Hey on my IPhone it shows a prison not far from there... I wonder if its the same size as the one I drove past on my way to college?

Interesting that young minds know about the prison, but some who live here didn't. Grands loved the area and the pool was like at our gym up north. Used to driving 45 minutes to get anywhere, so trip to Fenney was a quick adventure.

I think the prison is fairly new, so it depends upon your age. It has at least one very famous inmate, Whitey Bulger, of the notorious Winter Hill a gang of Boston. He is in the super-max section of the prison.

But, you can go to look around Fenney anytime. It's a great place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by dbussone; 07-01-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Coleman is a Federal Prison. Actually two prisons are on the same property. It's big! 2700 prisoners.

Last edited by justjim; 07-01-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Coleman is a Federal Prison. Actually two prisons are on the same property. It's big! 2700 prisoners.

There are actually 4 facilities:

The Federal Correctional Complex, Coleman (FCC Coleman) is a United States federal prison complex for male inmates in unincorporated Sumter County, Florida, near Wildwood. It is operated by the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP), a division of the United States Department of Justice.

Federal Correctional Complex, Coleman
USPColemanI.jpg
LocationSumter County,
near Wildwood, Florida
StatusOperational
Population7,200 (four facilities and prison camp)
Managed byFederal Bureau of Prisons
The complex has 1,600 acres (650 ha) of space.[1] As of 2010 the complex, the largest correctional facility operated by the BOP, altogether had 7,120 prisoners,[2] and 1,300 employees, making it one of the largest employers in the county.[3] Most prisoners are sentenced for drug-related crimes. Prisoners are male with the exception of those in the female work camp.[2] The prisoners on average have sentences of 10 years.[3]

The complex consists of four facilities and approx 7200 prisoners.

Federal Correctional Institution, Coleman Low (FCI Coleman Low): a low-security facility.
Federal Correctional Institution, Coleman Medium (FCI Coleman Medium): a medium-security facility with an adjacent satellite prison camp for minimum-security inmates.
United States Penitentiary I, Coleman (USP Coleman I): a high-security facility.
United States Penitentiary II, Coleman (USP Coleman II): a high-security facility.
FCC Coleman is located in central Florida, approximately 50 miles (80 km) northwest of Orlando, 60 miles (97 km) northeast of Tampa, and 35 miles (56 km) south of Ocala.[4]

Guess which level Whitey is in.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I think the prison is fairly new, so it depends upon your age. It has at least one very famous inmate, Whitey Bulger, of the notorious Winter Hill a gang of Boston. He is in the super-max section of the prison.

But, you can go to look around Fenney anytime. It's a great place.

they use their IPhone to get around TV while here. Set it to cart or car, so far only one wrong turn. When you look up fenney it shows the prison. They think the area is more like up north and loved that out of the way village. But next time they come it will be very different. I know the prison has been here since we first bought in 2010, not sure how long ago it was built

Last edited by thelegges; 07-01-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
they use their IPhone to get around TV while here. Set it to cart or car, so far only one wrong turn. When you look up fenney it shows the prison. They think the area is more like up north and loved that out of the way village. But next time they come it will be very different.

While TV is a very very safe place, Fenney may be even safer given its proximity to Coleman.

Last edited by dbussone; 07-01-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

One thing about Coleman....it is truly a gated community.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
One thing about Coleman....it is truly a gated community.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Now that is indisputable! Right on point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-04-2017, 05:40 PM
Sage

Is Fenney golf-cart-connected to the rest of the Villages?
Old 07-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog99 View Post
Is Fenney golf-cart-connected to the rest of the Villages?
Will be.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Coleman completed 1995 campus style complex of 30 buildings with low security and medium security housing.

The Villages Florida

Coleman II completed 2004 is for maximum security inmates.

The Villages Florida
Old 07-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

One thing is for sure for the amount of people who would never drive, or live there the pool was pretty busy today.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
One thing is for sure for the amount of people who would never drive, or live there the pool was pretty busy today.

Was Whitey there. If so,
The party was complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-05-2017, 09:06 PM

I think it's going to be a wondeful Village! We drove down recently for lunch at the Fenney Grille. Took about 30 minutes from our area. Delicious cheesesteaks and salads. Great service. The Rec Center and pool are beautiful. We met the nicest people and had a great afternoon exploring. All the extra amenities will come in a short time. The new homes have the best of everything to offer.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:02 AM

I just went thru all the posts on fenney.....i will visit in oct....some of the questions i still have include
compared to the main villages....is it quieter...and will it stay that way?
walking trails and old florida sound ideal...
how about taxes?...same/lower higher?
is the area around fenney undesirable?...if going back an forth to the main part of the villages?
i lived near stateville prison in illinois that doesnt worry me
i think with the history of the villages..fenney would be a good investment and a great place to live!
thanks for any feedback........see you in october
Old 07-26-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdretired View Post
I just went thru all the posts on fenney.....i will visit in oct....some of the questions i still have include
compared to the main villages....is it quieter...and will it stay that way?
walking trails and old florida sound ideal...
how about taxes?...same/lower higher?
is the area around fenney undesirable?...if going back an forth to the main part of the villages?
i lived near stateville prison in illinois that doesnt worry me
i think with the history of the villages..fenney would be a good investment and a great place to live!
thanks for any feedback........see you in october
Since the development is only in the beginning stages you may find it a little quieter (but with some construction noise in areas not completed yet). As more homes are built/sold and the other villages are built around it Fenney will be very similar to its northern neighborhoods - which is not loud at all.
I believe that Fenney is in Sumter so same taxes as a good portion of TV (some portions are in Marion, some are in Lake).
The areas around Fenney are no different than the areas around the other parts of TV. Quiet, rural, a small town feel. Once the new developments are built and we are connected at 44 you won't know the difference other than newer homes, newer community centers, etc. Its all TV and a great place to live! I think the new development will be a good investment just like the rest of TV. The Village of Fenney is beautiful and does have an old Florida feel to it. I have a feeling that the other new developments connecting us all the way up to 44 will be just as beautiful. JMO Enjoy your visit!
Closed Thread

Tags
drove, replaced, stripped, vegetation, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.