Drug Problem?

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Platinum member
Default Drug Problem?

The other day I was in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and someone asked me a rhetorical question, 'Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?'

I replied that I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the priest, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity. I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds. I was drug to the homes of neighbors to help mow the yard, repair the clothesline, and if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, my dad would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, or think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin: and if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.
God bless the parents who drugged us!

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
The other day I was in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and someone asked me a rhetorical question, 'Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?'

I replied that I had a drug problem when I was young: I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals. I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults. I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the priest, or if I didn't put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity. I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds. I was drug to the homes of neighbors to help mow the yard, repair the clothesline, and if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, my dad would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, or think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin: and if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

That is why so many of us like you to pieces.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post

You sure that we did not grow up in the same home ? !
Old 06-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
You sure that we did not grow up in the same home ? !
Nope, but I think we went to different schools together.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-14-2014, 09:43 PM

WOW! I relate and agree. Sad at the time it seemed, what a great impact such raising created. I am thankful for the attitude that was instilled in us.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:50 PM
Veteran member

I Love this! Its because of my drug problem as a child that I'm fortunate enough too retire early and live a wonderful life in TV.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:07 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The OP summarized so well why because of the failure of parents following ours why we have so many societal problems today. In the meantime experts both in the private and public sector continue to study the problem
Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I do remember being drug not just by my parents but by their friends, neighbors, the woman down the street to do what was needed. This was not just in the USA but in Europe as well. It certainly instilled certain ethics in me.

However, I was of the generation where drugs were easy to come by, at least when I was in college and ever since. I did inhale and quite enjoyed it. However, I never overused, never drove when high, maintained a 4.2 GPA, kept my scholarship and worked full time.

I don't think it is a failure of parents alone. It is a failure of entire communities. Neighbors no longer want to get involved. Schools are afraid to discipline. Parents' hands are frequently tied (soap on the tongue, switches are now considered child abuse). Society needs to bring back discipline (not necessarily corporal punishment but real consequences) and honest self-respect. Children should be allowed to fail, not be rewarded for mediocrity. Today's society is so worried about self-esteem that it forgets that a child is not the ruler of the home -- catering to the child (whether in special foods for dinner or always going where the child wants) helps no one in the long run.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-15-2014, 09:13 AM
Platinum member

Those absolutely horrendous, ineffective, societal problem-making parents are our kids. Oh my, how ever did they get that way?

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Old 06-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleMN View Post
Those absolutely horrendous, ineffective, societal problem-making parents are our kids. Oh my, how ever did they get that way?

That is the reason so many of us like getdul981 to pieces.

When are you moving here Dale?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

Perhaps one of the failures is expecting younger generations to feel and react exactly the same as previous ones, given an entirely different set of cultural influences?
Old 06-15-2014, 10:26 AM

Halibut, your reply is very thoughtful. All of us who were "drug" by our parents, and appreciate how we were raised......did we not use the same mentality and actions in raising our OWN children? Where was the breakdown?

I did not have children, but I would hope I would have instilled the same values as my parents instilled in me.........society makes it hard, since now we would be "abusing" children for giving them a well deserved spanking.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

I did not have children, but I would hope I would have instilled the same values as my parents instilled in me.........society makes it hard, since now we would be "abusing" children for giving them a well deserved spanking.

----------------------

I agree and think this is part of the break down. Parents can go to jail if they discipline their children the way most of us were. I know my mother would have went to jail many times. I believe another problem is too many parents try to be friends with their kids and won't tell them no.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Perhaps one of the failures is expecting younger generations to feel and react exactly the same as previous ones, given an entirely different set of cultural influences?
. Before cultural differences are felt, it is important for parents to establish respect for authority.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Sage

Yeah...ask kids today if they have a drug problem and they're likely to say "nahh...I got plenty."

(Oh come on...just trying to lighten it up a little. Even serious topics need a little release now and then.)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.