Drunks win – Brownwood Square loses

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2021, 03:53 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Town Squares...third rate entertainment with 1970s line dancing...cant wait until the Chubby Checker impersonator shows up and all the wild square goers do the twist.

Squares are sad.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
No, but I was.

We all pulled our guns out and shot a few rounds into the air.

Then I jaywalked and drove home..

Old 09-25-2021, 04:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Town Squares...third rate entertainment with 1970s line dancing...cant wait until the Chubby Checker impersonator shows up and all the wild square goers do the twist.

Squares are sad.
The last time I checked, there was n nothing in the covenant saying you have to go to the squares.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:14 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
I used to split my time between Brownwood and Sumter Landing. I found Brownwood to become less inviting just before COVID (BC) was named. I oftened wondered if there were more non-Villagers there to party on the weekends. I gave up on Brownwood and prefer Sumter Landing these days.
What is the problem with non-villagers? Where people live doesn't make a difference, AA is very prevalent within The Villages so I don't think it's fair to put a label on those that live outside the boundaries. There are probably just as many non-villagers at LSL and Spanish Springs as there are in Brownwood. Later this year Sawgrass will be open and we'll see what happens down there.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:12 PM
Veteran member

More people, more issues. Also, the squares are not limited to Villagers. The nearby areas are also being developed by other companies that advertise 'in the middle of the villages.' I saw one advertised that is located near Lowes.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default And where do you go for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

Squares are sad.
please share with us unsophisticated boobs who have fun at the squares that don’t know where to be really happy
Old 09-26-2021, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Around '83 I was living in Georgia and nearby was Fort Stewart, a large Army installation. They had the Guess Who perform in a park on the base and it was free. I went and everybody sat on the grass or blanket or chair they had brought.

The band was on a portable stage/flat bed truck, so they were about 5' above the ground. No easy way for anybody could reach the band. There was about 1,000 people and the band was rocking. They had Army guys, locals like myself (outsiders), bikers and all sorts. Everybody was getting along great.

The band played about 90 minutes and was getting near the end and a large portion of the crowd was drunk and and everyone was dancing when they played 'American Woman'. The Army had put one of those orange plastic barriers you see around construction sites about 15' from the stage. People were dancing and knocking the barrier down to get nearer the stage.

The Army bought out MP's with German Shepherds and got in front of the stage. They dogs were going crazy with the people, the loud music and they made a very unpleasant situation. They were just getting ready to do the encore of 'These Eyes' and they stopped the show. Talk about a mad bunch of people.

The Villages is not isolated when it comes to outdoor entertainment that doesn't always go as planned.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

To really emphasize how drunken revelry is not limited to people at Brownwood, and how no one should be surprised that a) people get drunk and b) some drunk people get violent and nasty no matter where they are:

In 1995, the Grateful Dead had to cancel a concert after ticketless concert-goers tore down a fence to get in, starting a riot.

A riot. At the Grateful Dead. Unfathomable, but there it is.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
What is the problem with non-villagers? Where people live doesn't make a difference, AA is very prevalent within The Villages so I don't think it's fair to put a label on those that live outside the boundaries. There are probably just as many non-villagers at LSL and Spanish Springs as there are in Brownwood. Later this year Sawgrass will be open and we'll see what happens down there.
I never said their was a problem with non-villagers, I only wondered if they might be the problem as they tend to be younger. I don't care who gets drunk or stoned, as long as they don't become the show. I do go for the music, not to see drunks. There may be more non-villagers at SL, but I've never seen drunks at SL become the show.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:13 PM
Gold member

As more an more homes are sold in the south and there is an increase of rental homes available for the vacationers in the winter months, Brownwood will become just like the other squares with the drunkeness and rowdiness. That is why most people who actually live here and have been here for more than a year or so very seldomly even go to the squares, especially in the winter.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
As more an more homes are sold in the south and there is an increase of rental homes available for the vacationers in the winter months, Brownwood will become just like the other squares with the drunkeness and rowdiness. That is why most people who actually live here and have been here for more than a year or so very seldomly even go to the squares, especially in the winter.
I disagree that is why…….
Old 09-28-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Brownwood is under the Wildwood Police's jurisdiction. We were at Brownwood when a drunk was causing problems and Wildwood PD was called. The drunk hung around for awhile and left before any police showed up, in fact Wildwood PD never showed. Lady Lake seems to always be at SS and Sumter County has a strong presence at LSL
That is because Lady Lake and Sumter County care about their job. I have been told the Wildwood "chief" is one of those drunks at Brownwood.
Closed Thread

Tags
square, people, police, drunks, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.