Dst

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

Personally I spent most of my life on Central time. Never got use to nor liked eastern time. Congress pass a law putting the whole country on Central time. Problems solved.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:03 PM
Platinum member

It would screw up commerce in Florida
Old 03-13-2018, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

One hour change and a week later no one would even remember the issue.

Ask the folks in AZ...they do not play the dst game....
they do quite well.

If a choice had to be made I would vote to stay on standard time.

Much bigger issues in today's world needing attention.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:24 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I like DST and wish it was a permanent thing.
When I lived in New England I would have been ecstatic to have dst year round but when we moved down here we automatically gained an hour of daylight just by being further west.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Oh just great. Now that I don't work anymore when my team is on Monday Night Football of in The Playoffs, now we will have the invention of having it earlier longer or later earlier. (Wrap your head around that).

Do you know how many days of work were missed by people who "went to the game last night"? You know what it's like heading home from Yankees Stadium or Giants Stadium after a game that ends at midnite. Every minute counts. Starting the game earlier is better. let the other coast suffer for 20 years.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Platinum member

If Florida stays on DST, we will be on the same time as San Juan year round, one hour ahead of Nassau in the winter, two hour ahead of Chicago, Nashville, Milwaukee, or Des Moines. Three hours ahead of Denver, Salt Lake City, or Phoenix. Forget the west coast... Monday night football would start at 10:00 pm. Jacksonville, Miami, or Tamps would probably never get a Sunday, Monday, or Thursday night home game. On cloudy days, it would not get light until 8:30/9:00 am. First tee times would be 8:30 am. Prime time TV shows will start at 9:00 pm. The local news at mid-night. Kids would be going and starting school in the dark. I hope you get my idea that staying on DST year round is not a great idea.

I agree with BTK, if we are going to not change our clocks, let’s settle on standard time year round. I lived through this when Indiana stayed on standard time year round. It was a pain in the arse, but not as bad as only one state being on DST year round.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
...in the winter, two hour ahead of Chicago, Nashville, Milwaukee, or Des Moines. Three hours ahead of Denver, Salt Lake City, or Phoenix. Forget the west coast... Monday night football would start at 10:00 pm. Jacksonville, Miami, or Tamps would probably never get a Sunday, Monday, or Thursday night home game. On cloudy days, it would not get light until 8:30/9:00 am. First tee times would be 8:30 am. Prime time TV shows will start at 9:00 pm. The local news at mid-night. Kids would be going and starting school in the dark. I hope you get my idea that staying on DST year round is not a great idea...
Just for the sake of television and sports I would hate winter-time DST. I loved living in Pensacola for six years on Central Time. The NFL games in the Florida Panhandle on Sundays start at noon, primetime TV begins at 7:00, Johnny Carson was on at 10:30. If anything, I would like Central Time for the rest of Florida just like the Panhandle, but Daylight Savings Time year round, NO WAY!!
Old 03-13-2018, 04:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
...Much bigger issues in today's world needing attention.
Doesn’t mean the smaller issues have to be ignored.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We are in California for the month and it is 3 hours earlier here. It seems the day is half over before California wakes up. The good part is that it is 3:00 here but I know it’s 6:00in Florida so why not go ahead and have a cocktail.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Doesn’t mean the smaller issues have to be ignored.
Here we go again...I agree.

Discussing big AND smaller issues...is the purpose of a site like this.

Not to even mention, that if someone doesn't care for the subject of a particular thread...there's a very easy way to solve that problem.

As for DST, I vote for every state going to it full time...and just keep it year around.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
It can be a nuisance. Look what they have to go through in the UK -- moving Stonehenge forward an hour.

Attachment 74399
Love it!
Old 03-14-2018, 08:15 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Once again, the part - time brilliant minds in Tallahassee have come up with a solution in search of a problem. While on the surface, staying on DST might sound good, consider this: The majority of Florida revenue comes from TOURISM. And when do the vast bulk of tourists come to FL? In the winter. Now, if this law stands, amusement parks will no longer open at 8AM as it will be pitch dark. Fireworks at Disney will not happen because the parks will close at dusk. Golf in TV will be severely affected since the earliest starting times will now be around 8:30 AM instead of 7:30. Plus, at 8 AM during the winter it will be cold enough to freeze your socks off! If this must happen, the better solution would be to stay on STANDARD time year round. Better yet, leave it alone. Gov. Scott should let this die a quiet death.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Once again, the part - time brilliant minds in Tallahassee have come up with a solution in search of a problem. While on the surface, staying on DST might sound good, consider this: The majority of Florida revenue comes from TOURISM. And when do the vast bulk of tourists come to FL? In the winter. Now, if this law stands, amusement parks will no longer open at 8AM as it will be pitch dark. Fireworks at Disney will not happen because the parks will close at dusk. Golf in TV will be severely affected since the earliest starting times will now be around 8:30 AM instead of 7:30. Plus, at 8 AM during the winter it will be cold enough to freeze your socks off! If this must happen, the better solution would be to stay on STANDARD time year round. Better yet, leave it alone. Gov. Scott should let this die a quiet death.
With DST, there will be the exact same amount of daylight. People will adjust.

I think more people would like more daylight later than earlier.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:18 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:

I know I do.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:28 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

There is a meme floating around Facebook, Twitter, etc that sums up DST fairly well. From a Native American speaking, “Only a white man can cut off 6 inches from the bottom of a blanket, sew it to the top and then convince you that you have a longer blanket.” Quite screwing around with time completely! To counter other comments, I like playing golf at 7:30 am, walking in the mornings, or getting my yardword done early. I am a morning person who prefers “god’s natural time”.

Tags
hour, call, dst, hours, start

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.