Dudley Canine Park & Archery Range

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2018, 07:45 AM
Default Dudley Canine Park & Archery Range

Is it just me, but I had to laugh this morning when I saw the add in the paper this morning on Page A2 for the Grand Opening of the "Dudley Canine Park & Archery Range". Putting those two together just seems so wrong. But I'm sure those Archery people will enjoy shooting at moving targets instead of just those big round bales with the circles of a bulls eye. Trying to shoot a moving dog would probably be much harder. I can hear it right now "RUN FIDO RUN, GOTCHA".
Old 04-10-2018, 08:05 AM
Sage

The ADD kicked in.
My favorite Dudley.
I wonder if little kids find this as funny as I did, do?
talk about a weird cooincident but as i was writing the above jsw14 was starting a new post.

Last edited by tomwed; 04-10-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
Is it just me, but I had to laugh this morning when I saw the add in the paper this morning on Page A2 for the Grand Opening of the "Dudley Canine Park & Archery Range". Putting those two together just seems so wrong. But I'm sure those Archery people will enjoy shooting at moving targets instead of just those big round bales with the circles of a bulls eye. Trying to shoot a moving dog would probably be much harder. I can hear it right now "RUN FIDO RUN, GOTCHA".
I brought this up to rec officials and they said they did all the research and all is safe. I told them I worked at a summer camp and a few times a camper accidently let go of an arrow while bow was pointing up. Once an arrow landed in soccer field.

This is not safe and would never be pwrmitted in many other locations. I stay on the side far away from the archery side. If a young camper camn have an accident so can a first time senior. This is just an accident waiting to happen....
Old 05-23-2018, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

The dog park at Lake Paradise Park is to the South of the Archery Range there. All the arrows are pointed north at their targets. There is a walking path to the north of the archery range for people and I suppose their pooches. I avoid it though.

The archery range people usually are not using long bows as well nor hunting bows that I have noticed.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:24 AM

I don't mind them being physically close together. I just thought it was funny that they named it "Dudley Canine Park AND Archery Range". It sounds like they are one in the same. Surely they could have come up with a name for the canine park and a different name for the Archery Range. As "tomwed" posted previously, they could have named the complex "Dudley Canine Park" and "Do-Right Archery Range". Well maybe that is a little far fetched, but you get the idea. Just 2 different names. With just one name, I get this mental image of the archers standing in the middle of the dog park shooting at all the moving targets. They could even put it in the REC News as an activity. Maybe even a video on the next VMAIL edition.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Our Vets both up north and now down here both recommend staying out of dog parks if you want your dog to stay healthy. We though we would try it just after it opened and i can see what they meant, we left after just a few minutes and will never go in there again.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

It’s amazing what some people worry about.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Our Vets both up north and now down here both recommend staying out of dog parks if you want your dog to stay healthy. We though we would try it just after it opened and i can see what they meant, we left after just a few minutes and will never go in there again.
I never bring my dogs to the dog park. Too many poorly behaved dogs with clueless owners.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

It seems to me that The Villages is a miserable place to own a dog. People say the dog parks are pretty bad and if you have a dog off leash there are people like me who will quickly report you to the authorities. There seems to be no place for a person to enjoy their dog, like playing fetch, without bothering people.

I see people walking their dogs and picking up what they leave behind, but I never see people really having fun with their dogs.

Maybe we should have some neighborhoods where all dogs are prohibited (sign us up) and others where well-trained dogs are allowed to run freely, like they did when I was a kid.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Happy Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
It seems to me that The Villages is a miserable place to own a dog. People say the dog parks are pretty bad and if you have a dog off leash there are people like me who will quickly report you to the authorities. There seems to be no place for a person to enjoy their dog, like playing fetch, without bothering people.

I see people walking their dogs and picking up what they leave behind, but I never see people really having fun with their dogs.

Maybe we should have some neighborhoods where all dogs are prohibited (sign us up) and others where well-trained dogs are allowed to run freely, like they did when I was a kid.
My dogs are totally happy. Wehave a large yard with a pool and bird cage. They have plenty of recreation. We take them for long walks several times a day.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:48 PM

Now you've done it. I now have this image in my head of someone applying for an "open carry permit" for their archery equipment and stalking through The Villages in a camouflage golf cart just to hunt all those dogs that their owners don't take to the dog park. Maybe even some tree stands around each of the mail stations !!!!!!! Now THAT is something they can video for the next VMAIL edition !!!! I just have a warped sense of humor.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I don't mind them being physically close together. I just thought it was funny that they named it "Dudley Canine Park AND Archery Range". It sounds like they are one in the same. Surely they could have come up with a name for the canine park and a different name for the Archery Range. As "tomwed" posted previously, they could have named the complex "Dudley Canine Park" and "Do-Right Archery Range". Well maybe that is a little far fetched, but you get the idea. Just 2 different names. With just one name, I get this mental image of the archers standing in the middle of the dog park shooting at all the moving targets. They could even put it in the REC News as an activity. Maybe even a video on the next VMAIL edition.
I agree with you. It's a totally stupid name. What was Rohan thinking.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
It’s amazing what some people worry about.
Exactly! Build it, and they will complain.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post

Do you have a dog?

Walking dogs is not playing with them; it is giving them exercise. Playing with them is different and usually occurs at a dog park or in a yard or even in the house.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Walk by our home and you will see us playing frisbee with our dog. Course, you cant see us playing with the laser pointer in our home and having our dog chase it.

Getting back to the topic at hand, however, the title of this post gave me pause, also. Got a little chuckle out of it. My reaction did not rise to the level of “what were they thinking”.

Tags
archery, morning, park, canine, moving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.